Photo

Mage Build Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Mexica

Mexica

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 15:05

While I've seen a detailed guide for tank builds and another for healers, so far I haven't been able to find anything similar for a mage. Having skyrocketed to level 49 as a straight, non-hybrid combat mage, I'm feeling unbalanced and can use some help. The most basic question I have is about allocating  attribute points.  At each level I put 3 points into Sorcery and 1 point each into Vitality, Energy, and Focus. The Tankh guide suggested a tank should put all attribute points into Melee and somewhere I saw a comment similarly recommending that mages should put everything into Sorcery. Is that viable for a light armor mage? How do other mages allocate their attributes?

A bit of context might be helpful. Generally, my preferred play is PvE doing solo story runs as well as group dungeon runs. The screenshot below is a look at where I am right now. Note- I shot up to 49 so fast that my equipment is still Level  35 stuff except for a Jungle Battlestaff that was given to me. (Thanks gogsy!) So yeah, I have some serious equipment grinding ahead.  :unsure:  

Here's a list of the gems I have atm. I'll also be working on upgrading them. Any and all suggestions are welcome, about attributes, gems, the general build, or any other mage stuff.

Thanks.

Helm: Glimmering Aquamarine +100 Mana Regen

Chest: Glimmering Opal +214 Spell Defense

Legs: Absolute Diamond +289 Ranged Defense

Hands: Glimmering Onyx +214 Melee Defense

Feet: Pure Zirconia +11 Movement Speed

Jungle Battlestaff: Absolute Topaz +406 Spell Attack Power; Absolute Agate +40 Critical Spell Rating

Elemental Essence: Absolute Ruby +7% Weapon Damage

Attached Thumbnails

• Mage Build Carisha.PNG

Edited by Mexica, 13 November 2017 - 15:12.

#2 Steve1973

Steve1973

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 16:26

Mages usually put all attributes into sorcery (I have done with all my mages)

I am guessing you haven't built up your professions yet to make your own stuff. So unless you have plenty of money or someone who will give your free lvl49 gear, I would say your best bet is to do either BT or SV story runs, or dungeon if you can find a group, to collect relics for lvl45 gear to start off with, then when you have the full set with the set bonus it will give you a strong base while you work on getting materials for lvl49 gear.

As for gems, at level 49, anything less than absolute (some players may say supreme) will be weak for you. Best going for defence gems in armour as aqua doesn't really benefit mages and the extra speed from a zirc is debatable as to whether its worth it, spell attack topaz in a staff if you use one, then either ruby or topaz in the essence (I prefer topaz all round) .

You then have two options regarding weapons. Obviously an essence, but then you can either go Staff or two single handed hybrid weapons/shield with sorcery and spell attack rolls. The Staff is likely to give higher dps if you get good rolls or good gems slotted, but the single handed weapon and shield with good sorc rolls gives you better defence if you do alot of solo stuff (it's a personal preference thing). TR and BT solo story or group dungeon runs can give some decent sorc roll weapons plus you get the relics from lvl 45 dungeons for the armour too (no idea about SV as I did all my lvl45 relic runs in BT).

I wouldn't like to make any suggestions on where to put talent points as I'm sure my personal setup would likely be laughed at by most players :unsure:  although it works well fo me :)

Edited by Steve1973, 13 November 2017 - 16:27.

When in doubt. Blame lag ;)

#3 Mexica

Mexica

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 22:47

Thanks, Steve. Yeah, my professions are still in the upper 30s. I'll be grinding toward tailoring my own ramie armor but in the meantime your suggestion about gearing up through dungeon runs/relic gathering sounds like the way to go. Absolute or better for gems also sounds right to me so I will be working on that too. The Zirconia seemed like a good idea at the time but I'm not sure it makes a practical difference so I may do some playing around with that. Same thing with the Aquamarine. I thought it  would help keep my mana up but am not sure it does.

So far I haven't been paying attention to any weapons other than a staff and an essence.  Your thoughts about using other weapons if their sorcery /spell rolls are good enough is intriguing. I will definitely be keeping an eye on that. The idea of putting all my attribute points into sorcery makes me nervous but I think I will try it.  Any other thoughts, folks?

#4 JoDu

JoDu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Badge

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:31

Hi,

Putting all attribute points into sorcery gives you more DPS and haste, so you can kill mobs faster and spells cooldowns are shorter so you can do more damage. 

Don't worry about vitality or energy. When you get whole lvl 45 armor setup you'll get extra bonus stats on this point. Also very important is to get the lvl 48-49 Jewelry set, this is a really good addition to your vitality.

To increase focus (crit chance) there's some talents that will help you to get higher stats. Same thing for haste.

#5 Steve1973

Steve1973

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:36

Thanks, Steve. Yeah, my professions are still in the upper 30s. I'll be grinding toward tailoring my own ramie armor but in the meantime your suggestion about gearing up through dungeon runs/relic gathering sounds like the way to go. Absolute or better for gems also sounds right to me so I will be working on that too. The Zirconia seemed like a good idea at the time but I'm not sure it makes a practical difference so I may do some playing around with that. Same thing with the Aquamarine. I thought it  would help keep my mana up but am not sure it does.

So far I haven't been paying attention to any weapons other than a staff and an essence.  Your thoughts about using other weapons if their sorcery /spell rolls are good enough is intriguing. I will definitely be keeping an eye on that. The idea of putting all my attribute points into sorcery makes me nervous but I think I will try it.  Any other thoughts, folks?

Don't be nervous about putting everything in sorc. As Jodu says, you will get plenty of vit and energy from your gear, plus some of the talents help too.

Obviously to get the lvl45 gear you will have to do alot of story or dungeon runs to get enough relics. The light gloves are often loot drops in story mode so don't worry about collecting for them. I understand the boots can drop too, but I am not sure where, maybe thats from dungeon mode runs but they are rare. On top of that the helm has to be tailored so you'll need 40 rems for that as well, although alot of people sell cheap of give them away, and theres plenty of us who have lvl45+ tailoring to make if you need.

Admitedly some players will disagree with my following ideas as we all have different perspectives and preferences.

Firstly you have the potions (health, mana and stamina) to help restore your health and mana.

There are talents like Starlight which restores your mana, then "free your mind" and "fountain of mana" lowers your mana usage.

For haste there's "mental agility" and "invocation". Also if you have any spare talent points, theres "prophecy" and "enpowered healing" in prophet tree to help with mana regen and haste.

Likewise with crit, there is "focused mind"

With spells, you have rejuv and cauterize to help with healing yourself or others.

This site below gives you the chance to play about with talents before actually placing them on your character so you save having to spend EP to reset your talents if you make a mistake.

http://talenttheory.com/calc/

------------------------------------------

I think this is about the talent setup I use on all my mages, it is more of a solo player setup, but gives plenty of dps boosts for group dungeon runs. Like I said previously it's not to other players tastes but I found it works really well for me

http://talenttheory....1N2O2Q1V1Pd3g2/

I haven't put any points to boost overload (Overpowered or static discharge) as I tend to use it to draw mobs towards me and bring them closer together for aoe hits. I also don't use frostbite (personal preference) so I have no need for flash freeze, icy touch or biting cold.

Rather than the snare from frostbite, I use flame buffet to give me stuns for strong single mobs and miasma to give me the aoe stun and spell power boost for groups, add erupt with the fissure talent and blizzard with chilling talent and you can clear groups quickly.

Void portal as I found comes in handy for one to one large monsters (eg bosses in the pyramids in azraq desert) as it draws their  attack and lets you move away from aoe damage.

I use incinerate alot (every other shot) to get the 150%spell dps, so I got flamelash, pyromania and blazing embers.

I bought the spell fulmination and tried using the talent conflagration but found with such a long cooldown I could benefit from putting the points elsewhere and use faster cooldown attacks.

If you decide to do alot of group dungeons, depending on the level of your dps, if it is high then it may be worth putting the point in "phase walking". If your tank isn't on the ball or lags you could end up drawing unwanted mobs. My main's dps (Steve1973) is about 1997 when buffed, but if I use starlight then miasma it can take the dps to about 2300-2400, plus whatever is on top from crit hits and the talent boosts has often caused alot of chuckles when I get chased around the area, especially for the last boss in ASV :lol:

Edited by Steve1973, 14 November 2017 - 12:44.

#6 Exilada

Exilada

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 17:50

Same problem here, leveled up to 49 really fast althroug i definitelly stoped doing quests on level 39 to get the level 40 set (was on level 44 by the time i finished it).

I think most of mages are not pure mage, they are more likelly to have some points into prophet tree.

I can share my build with you, i'm going critical mage (critical addicted here :rolleyes:).

I have placed 4 points in sorcery and 2 in focus, never tryed the full sorcery build, used to have 4 sorcery, 1 focus, 1 energy, but just found the extra energy useless (it may help on plasma shield but i didn't think it was necessary).

As for talents points my build goes like this:

http://talenttheory....I4J1L3N2O2Q1V1/

Note that this build has no mana regen, you might want to swap the 3 Flame Buffet points to 2 Fountain of Mana and 1 Essence of Magic or Free Your Mind. I just use the Ignite to stun and run on TA when i'm full of resourses  :unsure: (don't hunt me, that doesn't happens a lot  :P ), i didn't find a good use for it on pve because bosses are imune to stun.

Usually i don't have mana issues, in group i'll probabbly have the Enlighten buff and can alternete between starlight and MP pots to recover your mana. And for soloing i'm are more likelly to run out HP then MP as i push to hard and try to aoe in as many mob as i can.

I'll take some time and try to write something more detailed about my gameplay so far, but i'm still a noob mage  :wacko:.

As for lvl 45 set you can whisper me to go to RG in history mode, i'm still slow farming for cristallyne remnants for the helm. Some days a go crazzy and do 30+ runs.  :)

Edit: right link now

Edited by Exilada, 14 November 2017 - 22:46.

Happiness is to be found along the way, not at the end of the road, for then the journey is over and it is too late.

My nub collection:

Exilada - lvl 49 - DPS Healer / Exilada2 - lvl 49 - MeatShield HealTank / AnotherExi - lvl 49 - Cheap Dungeon SinWar / ExiladaVZ - lvl 49 - MultiTask WarSin / NotExi - lvl 49 - Queen Killer / ExiWolf - lvl 49 - Wanna be a Ranger / ssExi - lvl 17 - Wanna be a skiller / _Exicutioner_ - lvl 8 - Wanna be a CC sin

#7 Steve1973

Steve1973

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 19:38

http://talenttheory....f2j2m1o1r1t2u1/

Are you sure this it the right talent tree. I haven't seen many mages put their points in only templar and prophet :lol: :lol:

#8 Exilada

Exilada

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 22:46

http://talenttheory....f2j2m1o1r1t2u1/

Are you sure this it the right talent tree. I haven't seen many mages put their points in only templar and prophet :lol: :lol:

Wrong link.  :wacko:

Happiness is to be found along the way, not at the end of the road, for then the journey is over and it is too late.

My nub collection:

Exilada - lvl 49 - DPS Healer / Exilada2 - lvl 49 - MeatShield HealTank / AnotherExi - lvl 49 - Cheap Dungeon SinWar / ExiladaVZ - lvl 49 - MultiTask WarSin / NotExi - lvl 49 - Queen Killer / ExiWolf - lvl 49 - Wanna be a Ranger / ssExi - lvl 17 - Wanna be a skiller / _Exicutioner_ - lvl 8 - Wanna be a CC sin

#9 Steve1973

Steve1973

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 23:51

S

Note that this build has no mana regen, you might want to swap the 3 Flame Buffet points to 2 Fountain of Mana and 1 Essence of Magic or Free Your Mind. I just use the Ignite to stun and run on TA when i'm full of resourses  :unsure: (don't hunt me, that doesn't happens a lot  :P ), i didn't find a good use for it on pve because bosses are imune to stun.

Interesting build. I see you haven't gone with any frostbite talents too :) 

The only problem I found with using ignite or any attack on TA is once you hit someone your in combat and stuck on the island. I find its better to either run first and ask questions later (or homestone as some prefer) or keep "/who realm" as the last thing typed in chat and click it everytime you see a red dot appear on the map and hope they aren't "dnd" ;)

Not sure if this would help Mexica or anyone else, but, from what I was informed "essence of magic" only increases the damage from your standard auto attack. I don't think it gives any increase damage to other spells used even if they are used from a distance. Likewise with the 0.5-1% mana regen, unless you spend most of the time just using basic auto attack and very few other spells.

#10 Mexica

Mexica

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:14

Very helpful thinking here - thank you all. So I did go ahead and respec my attributes, putting everything into sorcery. It didn't at all leave me vulnerable as I was afraid it would.  A significant bump up in DPS. The effect on health was barely noticeable. My mana does dip lower than before but not too badly. Only in the longest, heaviest boss fights do I seriously deplete mana and either pots or Starlight takes care of that. The one thing that really did take a hit was my crits - dropping some 8-10 points. I want to see the lvl 45 gear benefits JoDu is talking about and then I may follow Exilada's lead, respecing yet again to put points into focus.

For some reason I haven't been a fan of Frostbite either. So far I've used Blizzard and Dragon's Breath for aoe. Haven't bought Erupt yet but will soon. Steve, I do use my basic essence attack a lot in solo story mode. Rather than pulling then dropping aoe, I tend to pick the monsters off one by one. The essence works well for that. It's in group runs that I tend to use the heavier spells.

#11 Kendiosa

Kendiosa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:17

A few thoughts on crit vs dps:

Don't use focus at all it is a waste. Always go full sorc. In order to get higher crit build a higher tier agate gem and use talents - crit is always better with higher dps so this is a much better way to build overall damage.

I don't run a mage but I do have a healer with high level ruby in essence and agate and coral gems in staff. This way I get 1780 dps (buffed) and 70% crit (using the crit obe, 65% without). I have full sorc points and no points in focus.

#12 Mexica

Mexica

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:54

Ah  Kendiosa, I was just sitting there eating popcorn and thinking about crits when I realized there was probably a crit obe somewhere. When I came online to check the Eldevin wiki, I stopped here first and saw your post. Great minds and all that.   :D  Those numbers of yours look pretty darn good. I suspect that the second floor of the EC sewers will now be my first stop before starting any dungeon runs. And yeah, I'll cancel any thoughts about putting points into Focus.  Thanks!

#13 Steve1973

Steve1973

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:58

I don't run a mage but I do have a healer with high level ruby in essence and agate and coral gems in staff. This way I get 1780 dps (buffed) and 70% crit (using the crit obe, 65% without). I have full sorc points and no points in focus.

Dammit Ken, 65% crit  :unsure:  . Without using crit obe my prophmage has only got 57% and thats with the perfect agate in essence plus 2points in "focus mind" and 2 in "relentless magic".

#14 JoDu

JoDu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Badge

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:45

yes, I have also 70% crit on my healer (include +5% obe). I'm using 2 pure agates in Staff and using crit boost talents of mage and prophet trees. Then I'm using haste rolls and Pure Coral gem in essence.

And all atribute points goes to sorcery.

This is a build for a healer I know, but just wanted to show you can get pretty good Crit stats using gems and talents, so no need to waste attribute points on focus.

Edited by JoDu, 15 November 2017 - 11:45.

#15 KBZoldyck

KBZoldyck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 14:36

Sorcery all way up then for the crit, haste or dps, build the gems. ^_^

#16 Exilada

Exilada

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 17:16

Interesting build. I see you haven't gone with any frostbite talents too :)

I didn't like the "ice" spells they are more deffensive and lower damage i'd rather play it more offensive and kill faster.

My nub collection:

#17 Exilada

Exilada

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 17:28

For some reason I haven't been a fan of Frostbite either. So far I've used Blizzard and Dragon's Breath for aoe. Haven't bought Erupt yet but will soon. Steve, I do use my basic essence attack a lot in solo story mode. Rather than pulling then dropping aoe, I tend to pick the monsters off one by one. The essence works well for that. It's in group runs that I tend to use the heavier spells.

You should buy Erupt and Fulmination as soon as you can it i'll help you pulling more mobs and killing them with 2 shots. I'll need it in group runs too, as the mobs hp is much higher.

I've never been a fan of Blizzard (but i use it on EC to play Christimas Snow :D), i used overload (with a boost of Overpowered and Static Discharge) to aoe and then Incinate to finish the kills before having Erupt.

My nub collection:

#18 Exilada

Exilada

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 17:47

Dammit Ken, 65% crit  :unsure:  . Without using crit obe my prophmage has only got 57% and thats with the perfect agate in essence plus 2points in "focus mind" and 2 in "relentless magic".

yes, I have also 70% crit on my healer (include +5% obe). I'm using 2 pure agates in Staff and using crit boost talents of mage and prophet trees. Then I'm using haste rolls and Pure Coral gem in essence.

And all atribute points goes to sorcery.

This is a build for a healer I know, but just wanted to show you can get pretty good Crit stats using gems and talents, so no need to waste attribute points on focus.

Oh boy, i need to switch to crit healer!  :)

I can only reach 65% with obe and 2 points into focus every level, plus i have no gems in weapons at all, just crit rolls on staff.  :(

My nub collection:

#19 Kendiosa

Kendiosa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 23:21

Oh boy, i need to switch to crit healer! :)
I can only reach 65% with obe and 2 points into focus every level, plus i have no gems in weapons at all, just crit rolls on staff. :(

If you check out the healer build topic a few below this one you can find my healer build linked. I tend to change a few things every 60 days as the respec cd comes around but i leave the crit stuff alone. Did I also mention I get 75% haste with that build? 65% base and 10% boost on a crit heal. Which is easy to get with aoe healing

#20 Elrog

Elrog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 22:50

uhm.. dmg obe is stronger than crit obe hands down for any dps.

A mage build for dps'ing dungeons should do all topaz and all attack power rolls, all points into sorcery. You can invest into crit talents but only as a secondary placement, there are other things that are more important to get first like Boiling Blood.

Ill do a more complete response whenever I find time.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: