Photo

Mage build

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Astrogildo

Astrogildo

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 20:26

Hello fellow eldevians!

Today I did a respec from a build that wasn't satisfying my needs in game and now I have a significant different build from what it was. It's a PvE build mainly for solo playing, but I believe that very good for delivering damage when needed.

http://talenttheory....2V1Pb1d1e2g2m1/

Any comment or suggestion will be welcome, I guess.

#2 Steve1973

Steve1973

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 22:34

I realise everyone has their own way of playing and preferences so take what you will from my ideas. This will probably be long winded too lol.

Defence wise, a mage has cauterize and plasma shield which I found are both very effective, also maybe redeem but that is more effective if you use the talents from prophet. Also as a lvl49, you could go for lvl49 ramie armour or even lvl45 dungeon set, then slot def gems in. Depending on your weapon setup, a shield with sorcery rolls can benefit you (I think it can add about 10% defence all round).

Attack wise, incinerate and ignite are the main one on one attacks with boiling blood as the damage over time attack. For groups, which I find a mage is very good at, erupt and blizzard very effective together.

-----------------------------------------

Looking at your talent tree. My personal oppinion is;

The melee talents shouldn't really be needed unless you spend alot of time doing TR runs. Yes it will help elsewhere to some extent, but if you put those talents in stuns or aoe attacks the melee attackers won't get chance to do much damage.

The prophet talents are only beneficial if you have the time to heal instead of attacking. If your doing a battle solo you wont have the time ti use these and if its not in battle you can use revitalise (i think its revit or rejuv, i'm not logged into game so can't remember which one it is at the moment). Empowered healing is good for the haste and most people use prophecy talents with mana regen to get to second tier.

With the mage talents you have used. The talents I personaly don't use and have found very few other use are;

Essence of magic. This only benefits if your going to stand there and just use the basic range attack. It doesn't make any difference to other spells such as ignite, incinerate, dragon breath etc.

Mathamagical, with how many attacks you deliver a second the extra accuracy doesn't, I have found in practice, really make enough difference to warrant spending talents on.

Conflagration. This is a personal preference one. I had used fulmination on the first few mages with conflag talents, but I found it didn't help me, especially for the cost to buy it and then spending talents that could be more beneficial elsewhere.

--------------------------------------

This is my setup, which I have on all my mages. I did originally get this from Luke (if you know/knew him) and over time I have fine tuned it to suit me.

I find it very effective soloing and is good for dungeon and group runs too. The only draw back is I don't have Phase walking, so if tank isn't paying attention, when fully buffed, I sometimes draw the mobs. It keeps me fit running around with mobs after me in a dungeon though :lol:

http://talenttheory....1N2O2Q1V1Pd3g2/

With this set up.

For groups, I either run around to draw the mobs together or use basic overload to get them moving towards me. From there I use plasma shield then miasma to jump into middle of them, this stuns the mobs and also gives me 15% extra spell power, I then use erupt followed by blizzard. This will pretty much kill everything with the talents I have added for those spells. If I find my health dropping I move slightly to stop blizzard, cauterize, then use blizzard again.

If they are slow moving groups I use overload from a distance followed by dragon breath, till they close in then go through the mias, erupt, blizzard routine.

For one on one, such as dungeon bosses, from a distant I'll use boiling blood, ignite (just for the power as it doesn't stun many bosses), then start auto attack while using incinerate, if the boss gets close enough to hit me, I use miasma to move away and continue. Plasma shield can also be used if needed during the fight too. Also ignite is a good when enemy is low health as delivers a large blast to finish them off quicker.

The void familiar is great to use as a partial tank so bosses often go for them and less at you. They also help for events etc to give that little extra attack without you needing to do anything once they start.

Star light is handy if your have run low of mana while your on potion drinking cool down. It also gives the short term 30% extra spell power. so maybe use it just before taking on a dungeon boss (except final BT boss). Add starlight and miasma one after the other and you get a nice short term powerful buff.

I also very rarely find the need to use health, mana or stamina potions with this setup.

I notice alot of players use frosbite in there setup with the talents to match it. I personaly don't use it. I found, for me, it stunned or slowed some mobs but not others, so was more difficult, in my, case to bring them all close enough together to get the most out of miasma's stun, erupt and blizzard.

-----------------------------------

Weapon wise. If you want power then go for the staff with gem slots and add topaz, or if you want more defence, go for lvl40 or 45 shield (about 10% extra defence all round) with sorcery and spell attack rolls plus single handed weapon with same. you should be able to get 50-55 sorcery and 700-800 spell attack with the rolls from those two. Also for a mage, topaz are better than rubies for the essence (unless your going for crit with agate instead).

-------------------------

Sorry it's long but I like to try be thorough. Hope you find this of some use.

Edited by Steve1973, 11 September 2020 - 08:07.

When in doubt. Blame lag ;)

#3 Undjuvion

Undjuvion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 03:50

*snip*

worry not that it was long, it was kind to put so much effort into helping someone!

#4 Astrogildo

Astrogildo

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 17:14

So pathetic... but for a dead game is okay, I guess.

It's hard to read someone's post when in the first line he says everything (it's all about personal preferences) then he finishes the line with a stupid ''lol''.

All after that was so painful to read that I can't say I have read it all.

Edited by Astrogildo, 11 September 2020 - 17:16.

#5 Steve1973

Steve1973

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 22:48

It's hard to read someone's post when in the first line he says everything (it's all about personal preferences) then he finishes the line with a stupid ''lol''.

Sorry you don't have the attention span to read it, obviously comments and suggestions weren't welcome after all.

How about I give the you answer you wanted to hear and i'll even keep it short with small words.

"Your setup looks great, knock yourself out"

When in doubt. Blame lag ;)

#6 Fizban

Fizban

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 September 2020 - 23:00

Why respond to Steve's post with such negativity?

my mage setup is different to Steve's, so yes,, it's a matter of personal preference and my attention span must be worse than yours as i can't see the line that ends with 'stupid' lol

if you don't like the advice, just say 'thank you for your time and effort' manners are a good thing, not only in this game bit also in the real world

maybe you should check this out

https://forums.hunte...ners maketh man

Edited by Kezza, 11 September 2020 - 23:04.

I can tolerate ignorance, but i cannot stand stupidity

the past can't be altered, the future can't be controlled, live for the here and now

#7 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 September 2020 - 01:36

But if we ignore manners now, what happens when we have a couple of thousand players?

From my comment in that thread, the optimism we had.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#8 Astrogildo

Astrogildo

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 20:32

I'm sorry about the negativity. Sometimes I try to be like everybody else and I become a little toxic. I will not explain why my words were so negative. It would be useless.

On a second reading, the tip about Essence of Magic is something to test. It's true that that talent points would only be useful if I stood there using the ranged attack to recover mana. That doesn't seem something I would do.

Still I can't say I have read it all, but I'll try again, I guess. Thanks for your guide about a mage's build here, Steve.

After all, after a new respec:

http://talenttheory....1V1Pb2d2e2g2m1/

Edited by Astrogildo, 13 September 2020 - 21:47.

#9 xXAmonXx

xXAmonXx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 11:08

Trash build^

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: