Photo

Loot Rolls STILL Broken (Although Slightly Less Broken)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Doja

Doja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:01

Ok, so there aren't multiple 100 rolls each time, but I can't believe I'm the first to post this.

Did ASV this morning.  Caught my attention that on the first item oops rolled 100.  Nobody else did, but 100's are rare to see nonetheless.

Just ran TR.  EVERY drop except for one, exactly one person (the winner) rolled 100.  No way that is natural.  I've run hundreds of dungeons and a 100 roll is not that common. 

Something is still bugged.  Look into it.

Doja - Level 47

Spellthor - Level 47

Deadeye - Level 36

Deputy_Junior - Level 26

Mike_Rotch - Level 24

#2 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:06

yeah i just noticed it the last run of RG wasn't paying attention as they said was fixed but this last run i noticed a couple 100's so watched more and roon rolled about 8 or more after i stareted watching   haha :)

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#3 TreeFrog

TreeFrog

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:17

This was happening in RG and BT for me as well, I kept pointing it out but no one seemed to care. Probably cause they were winning the drops lol

#4 Susej

Susej

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:49

Yep still bugged

OCD POT BREWER HOUSE

Need level 32 pots order here

Need level 40 pots order here

Need Draft pots order here

Need Elixir pots order here

#5 Cygnus

Cygnus

Game Programmer

• Hunted Cow Staff
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:35

This is actually the result of trying to counter the case where the RNG rolls repeatedly lean towards giving certain players all the group loot. So it's mostly intentional but the end result still leans towards rolling 100 too much.

There's room for improvement in this behaviour and it shouldn't take much to adjust the way it skews.

Sorry for the teething problems but this part of the system is completely new.

#6 Doja

Doja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 17:26

This is actually the result of trying to counter the case where the RNG rolls repeatedly lean towards giving certain players all the group loot. So it's mostly intentional but the end result still leans towards rolling 100 too much.

There's room for improvement in this behaviour and it shouldn't take much to adjust the way it skews.

Sorry for the teething problems but this part of the system is completely new.

This is an interesting comment.  Previously, to my knowledge, all five players made an RNG roll between 1-100.  The highest roll received the item.

This comment seems to imply that there is now some additional mechanic that either penalizes a person who has already won loot or boosts a roll of someone who has not won any loot.  If this is the case I, for one, am appalled.

RNG rolls can be uneven but over the long run should even out.  Anybody with any sense understands this.  But an argument can be made for trying to even out short term distribution.

However, if HCS is implementing some additional mechanic beyond a simple RNG roll, it is essential that you not only tell the user base it exists but also explain the precise mechanics of how it functions.  Loot distribution is a major element of the game.  Everyone can understand a simple RNG mechanic, but once it goes beyond that you need to explain how the system is making its determination.  Right now, it appears, there is a complex system disguised as a simple RNG roll.

I'm a little disturbed that such a change was omitted from the original patch notes.  It was only after the clear bug that this was mentioned.  Then, we are told that the bug is fixed.  If it wasn't for a continuation of excess 100 rolls, most would have assumed we were back to a basic RNG system.  Clearly, now, there is a greater system at work.  So please give a detailed message to the user base describing how this new loot system works, because clearly it is not designed to be a simple RNG formula.

Edited by Doja, 11 July 2014 - 17:28.

Doja - Level 47

Spellthor - Level 47

Deadeye - Level 36

Deputy_Junior - Level 26

Mike_Rotch - Level 24

#7 Susej

Susej

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:49

Cause if there is a penalization for already winning loot people are gonna pass howlites ...

OCD POT BREWER HOUSE

Need level 32 pots order here

Need level 40 pots order here

Need Draft pots order here

Need Elixir pots order here

#8 ZeusIV

ZeusIV

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:39

this started when alpha complained that rein and me were winning more gems that other people. this is complete rubbish. the rolls were random.

when the devs looked at the code they realised there was a situation where the order a player joined the team had an influence on the outcome where 2 players rolled the same number. i.e.

get your list of players and give each one a random number

player 1    2    3    4    5

roll      88  23  88  11  19

now work out who has the highest. there are many ways to do this but here is one way

var max = 0

var playerid = 0

foreach player

if roll >= max

max = roll

playerid = player.id

giveLootTo(playerid)

anyway in this example player 3 would always win over player 1 if there was a tie. in reality the player first in the list had the advantage so alpha complaining was actually shooting himself in the foot but that is by the by

to fix this the devs changed the code so that if there were 2 winners those 2 players would roll again so that the order in the queue was irrelevant. it was during this fix that the bug was introduced where everyone was getting a 100 roll :)

#9 Kijjum

Kijjum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 July 2014 - 16:02

I'm helping a friend out with some quests. He keeps on passing on the fusion powder since he doesn't use it. So when we get gear drops I roll a 1 every....single.....time.

#10 Doja

Doja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 17:08

I now see a major problem with this "new" system.  People passing can have an influence.  Other bugs may also exist.

Please just return loot to the former method!

If there is an issue with tiebreaks going to the same person, there are many ways to have a tiebreak roll without skewing everything else.

Seriously, I'm going to stop playing if loot rolls aren't random.

Doja - Level 47

Spellthor - Level 47

Deadeye - Level 36

Deputy_Junior - Level 26

Mike_Rotch - Level 24

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: