SINGS THE NIGHT (Part 7 of The Chronicles of Midnight)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ss_midnightxx

ss_midnightxx
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:04

This Story is the 7th in a series, I have started writing. The stories are a combination of entertainment and back story to flesh out my character. Please ignore errors in spelling and grammar, as I'm not a great literary, and what constitutes a rough draft for most people is a finished work for me.

If you have not read the earlier stories, please go back and do so first...
1) RAD LAND http://forum.sigmast...php?f=11&t=2820
2) DARKEST HOUR http://forum.sigmast...php?f=11&t=2834
3) THE WINE DARK SEA http://forum.sigmast...php?f=11&t=3249
4) RAZOR QUEEN http://forum.sigmast...php?f=11&t=3279
5) CRASH LANDER http://forum.sigmast...php?f=11&t=3589
6) INTERLUDE ONE http://forum.sigmast...php?f=11&t=3591

If you enjoyed the story please leave a comment I'll be more motivated to write more, as opposed to just wasting my time surfing the net. That and more people will likely take the time to read them if they have gotten allot of responses.

#2 ss_midnightxx

ss_midnightxx
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:05

SINGS THE NIGHT

The Sands held their own unique set of dangers, but all things considered, I did not feel this to be the worst part. The worst part was the endless search through this borderland region of desolation. I had finally trekked to the very edge of the Gamma Wastes and now the Highridge Mountains loomed up before Me, jagged and unscaleable. The rumor back in Taulin City was that somewhere ahead lay a vast gapping fissure, an entrance into the Highridge mining complex, know most commonly as The Mouth. Not apparently because this partially collapsed mine entrance resembled a gapping mouth in the side of the Highridge Mountains. No it was Known as The Mouth for all the multitude fortune seekers it had swallowed..never to be seen again......

The entire mountain range was daunting to say the least. This was made worse by decades of mining which had left massive flowing of mine tailings up against the base of the jagged peaks, as if the mountains themselves had vomited forth this unwanted detritus. The mine openings were long gone, collapsed, destroyed or perhaps concealed. Some cataclysmic event in the distant past had partially fused these massive piles, then the relentless Gamma winds had carved into them, leaving an abysmal badlands of deeply rutted canyons and gullies. Most of which was surrounded by talos slopes of slippery skree.

My progress through this region having been block by a particularly large crevasse, I had been forced almost back to the edge of The Sands in order to skirt this obstacle. I half slide down the loose rock slope, more intent on my footing then my destination, until I finally made it down to the opening of a large canyon. Looking up I was surprised to find a figure sitting on a small outcrop of bedrock watching me. It was a mutant woman, a warrior from the look. Her armor had a fierce barbaric look, as if it had been assembled fromr battle trophies won off some armored desert predator. Her hair hung wildly from beneath her helm. Her chest well protected but her slim midriff was exposed and she wore a short heavy battle skirt that was hung with tough plates.

The creature did not leap upon me as I half expected, tossing aside it's weapons to tear at my neck with bare teeth. Instead, she apparently assessed me as no great threat and went back to the examination of a wound she bore on one outstretched leg. I hesitated for a moment, almost turning away and was going about my business, but then I hesitantly approached her and inspected the affliction from a safe distance. She looked up...an unreadable half smile on her lips.

When she spoke her voice was husky but definitely feminine, "....yeah kinda looks infected huh?".

"Perhaps I can Assist?" I ventured

She laughed, but not unkindly "It can't hurt." and offered her long lean leg to me.......

......I tossed the bit of gnarled branch with the glowing ember causally aside and surveyed my handy work. My half assed plan had actually worked better then I expected, and Valestra, for that was her name had hardly even flinched when I had applied the burning stick to her wound. She had talked causally through the entire procedure, and if you could get past her fierce appearance she was really quite attractive.

I stood and offered my hand, which she took and with surprising strength hoisted her self to stand unnervingly close. For a fleeting moment I half thought she might turn on me, but she just stood there, her wild eyes staring at me, a sly grin on her lips.

"So Midnight, you just happened by and thought you'd help? "

"Ahhaaa well...yes something like that" I stuttered out.

Smiling wolfishly she added " it's ok, hun, I don't bite....at least not hard...."

Feeling foolish I tried to explain "Don't get the wrong idea Valestra!" I looked around at the bleak wasteland.

"There’s not a whole lot else to do around here...and well I just thought..."

cutting me off "No... there isn’t a whole lot to do around here is there?" and then she stepped very close

I breathed in her scent, and she appraised me, not at all unpleasant. She ran a hand lightly over my chest then up across my shoulders. "Not must to do at all...." She breathed out.

Her hand slipped up around the back of my neck and her fingers gripped me firmly. There was something about her... wild and primordial. Her hot eyes burned into mine and she drew herself close, her body pressing slowly against mine. My hands came up to hold her at the waist as she softly placed her lips to mine. Suddenly all was a fever, our kisses at fist tentative and unsure, now became impassioned. Valestra lips parted eagerly at the touch of my questing tongue, and soon hers was dancing with mine as our mouths locked together.

I pulled her up onto the balls of her feet, pressing her close. Valestra responded by locking both arms around behind my neck, then lifting herself, entwining both legs around my waist with startling strength. My hands moved to support her weight as she sensuously twisted in my embrace. My mouth descended to her neck, kissing, nibbling, and playfully biting as I began to unfasten her armor, tossing unneeded bits aside...In a frenzy now she tore at the clasps of my own armor as my hands explored her now bare back......................

..........I awoke to a soft, but firm pressure across my lips.......

The night was dark and deep with shadows and no moon had yet risen. My initial alarm was momentary, we lay beneath a pile of makeshift blankets, Valestra’s warm body draped half across mine as I lay on my back. She had slid her hand across my lips and now held it clamed there, silencing me. Her feral eyes stared into the dark night, alert and dangerous. Slowly she drew her head near until her mouth nuzzled against my ear her breathing tight and controlled.

with the faintest of whispers she breathed into my ear "There is something out there....."

Not daring to move I craned my eyes to see.....for a long moment nothing, then movement? Followed by a low musical sound......from the direction of the canyon at which's mouth we lay. Then forms materialized from the gloom, a faint luminescent glow all around them, the air now carrying on it a soft crystalline music. Valestra hand slipped down away from my mouth. Sinuously it slid across my bare chest. Taking care to hardly move she fished the haft of her weapon from the pile of haphazardly disguarded equipment that was all around us and waited.

The things emerging from the Canyon were so alien I can not describe them. Shard Prospectors...in their vanguard, lead two with some type for short stubby weapons, they passed just to the right of us by a dozen paces, their voices the deep musical chiming of crystals we had heard a moment before. In their wake came a seemly random procession of their strange workers, bizarre crystalline quadrupeds, intermixed with the prospectors themselves. Somewhere in the middle of the procession, as they trooped in the direction of The Sands came two guards, armed with some type of heavy weapons.

No sooner had these two drawn abreast of us then the suddenly became alert, and turning in our direction unlimbered their guns. As we lay in the inky pool of shadows, Valestra entire body tensed as if ready to spring, and not for the first time during this spectacle I wondered where in all of the hastily abandoned equipment, my weapon lay.

They chattered excitedly between themselves, their voices deep crystalline chimes as their brethren trooped past. By some unseen switch, they activated the imaging sights on their weapons and then slowly scanned them back and forth on the low hillside and ridge just above us. With Valestra’s bare legs intertwined with mine and her weight nearly fully upon me I wondered how I would be able to spring to my feet, and what my chances actually were of finding my weapon in our scattered belongings......

As the last of the Prospectors passed the two guards seemed to loose interested and slowly retreated in the direction of their band... the chiming of their voices fading away as they were swallowed by the black of night.

Valestra relaxed noticeably, and she let her weapon once again slip from her grasp, her hand wandering to caress the naked skin of my ribs. Her mouth began to nibble at my ear and she breathed huskily..."That might have been inconvenient...."

My hands traced the silky skin of her bare back as I stared at the fiery stars far above. She whispered softly "....that was exciting...and well now I'm wide awake and its still may hours till dawn..... and well....."

"Well indeed!" I thought and I pulled her warm body fully against me....soon we were lost again in an elemental fever, our bodies entwined......

The small pale blue moon rose and crossed the sky, followed by the small gray one, and once some unseen creature skittered passed on many legs, but of all these things we took no notice......

#3 ss_valestra

ss_valestra
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:24

Um, well......very interesting, hun..... :oops: heehee

#4 ss_aniee

ss_aniee
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:00

MIDNIGHT and val sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G :P :lol: bloddy marvelous :D
xx

#5 ss_valestra

ss_valestra
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2009 - 17:35

heehee....would be fun, very fun I believe!!

#6 ss_door23

ss_door23
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2009 - 22:35

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#7 ss_vorta

ss_vorta
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 14:46

Okay, since my previous review seems to have been lost in the system, I'll just type it up again. (Knowing my luck, the original review's gonna show up in another thread, or even another forum entirely, a couple hours down the line.)

Wow. That's all I can say, Wow. It seems that, no matter the franchise, there will be at least one person who writes a fanfic that can just blow you away. You are that person, MIDNIGHTxx. The level of detail is simply amazing, and you can really get a feel of how the characters are like and how they interact. My only major nitpick (Isn't that a contradictions of terms, though?) is that the story seems to assume at points that we've seen your RP Characters entry in the other thread, or your character profile in the game itself.

Your Cyborg/Mutant character pairing is rather unique and somewhat unexpected, I'll have to say. I only have one tiny nitpick: I've noticed that, in your profile, you have the Radime set. It doesn't seem nearly as removable as described in your fic. Though the removability of the Rogamor set seems about right. Then again, we've only seen the front of the Rogamor in-game.

10/10. Hope to see more soon!

#8 ss_midnightxx

ss_midnightxx
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 20:44

The Story SINGS THE NIGHT took place when my character was 28/29 lvl and with the REAPERS faction, so he didn't have the super heavy cybernetic battle suit he's now wearing. LOL and that's actually how I met Valestra in the game. The stories are inspired by what occurs in the game and my interactions with other players. I probably should find an editor to help me turn out an improved version of these stories, but I still got a few more stories in my head that need writing down first before I forget the details.

Okay, since my previous review seems to have been lost in the system, I'll just type it up again. (Knowing my luck, the original review's gonna show up in another thread, or even another forum entirely, a couple hours down the line.)

Wow. That's all I can say, Wow. It seems that, no matter the franchise, there will be at least one person who writes a fanfic that can just blow you away. You are that person, MIDNIGHTxx. The level of detail is simply amazing, and you can really get a feel of how the characters are like and how they interact. My only major nitpick (Isn't that a contradictions of terms, though?) is that the story seems to assume at points that we've seen your RP Characters entry in the other thread, or your character profile in the game itself.

Your Cyborg/Mutant character pairing is rather unique and somewhat unexpected, I'll have to say. I only have one tiny nitpick: I've noticed that, in your profile, you have the Radime set. It doesn't seem nearly as removable as described in your fic. Though the removability of the Rogamor set seems about right. Then again, we've only seen the front of the Rogamor in-game.

10/10. Hope to see more soon!

#9 ss_vorta

ss_vorta
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 22:22

That would explain a lot. For that matter, I don't think the Radime set can even be taken off in the way you described without severe injury. All those protrusions...

Wait, it's possible to heal other people in-game now? Because that was the impression I got when you said, "That's how I met Valestra in-game."

My final comment for this post: I guess Midnight and Valestra are just born lucky. The chances you could fall asleep in the middle of the Taulin Gamma Wastes without a weapon close by and (presumably) without much armor on either and not having your throat slit by the enemy are astronomical. Normally, I wouldn't be willing to suspend disbelief that much, but the sheer awesomeness of your fic makes it worth it.

#10 ss_valestra

ss_valestra
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:29

Vorta, hun, I appreciate the fact that you have put a lot of thought into this, but its a fantasy. His first words to me were about the big red spot on my leg, and if it looked infected. Then he stuck me with a burning stick and cauterized it. As for lucky, well, I was on high alert when the enemy came by, so instict has a lot to do with it. It never said how long we slept. I'm glad you are enjoying the stories, as I'm sure Midnight is. I know I'm looking forward to the next one.....

#11 ss_vorta

ss_vorta
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 13:23

Sorry. It's an annoying habit of mine, to mercilessly dissect online RPGs and point out impossibilities. I'll try to stop.

By the way, I ran into an Aniee in the Highridge Mines a couple days back. Would he or she be the same Aniee in this story?

#12 ss_valestra

ss_valestra
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 20:58

The one and the same.

#13 ss_fsword2

ss_fsword2
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:06

the "stories" aren't too bad... : )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users