Photo

Mage advice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 ChelseaBrick

ChelseaBrick

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 19:56

does anyone have some awesome advice for a mage build?

my apologies if one has been posted--i searched but didn't see anything.

thanks in advance :D

8TLwd.jpg

#2 Fizban

Fizban

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 January 2014 - 20:24

mage.jpg

I hope this will help, it was my mage build in beta:)

I can tolerate ignorance, but i cannot stand stupidity

the past can't be altered, the future can't be controlled, live for the here and now

#3 ChelseaBrick

ChelseaBrick

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 20:25

thanks so much!  that's a great help! :D

8TLwd.jpg

#4 HuMoR

HuMoR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 January 2014 - 20:27

I like fiz's build,but Myself i'd rather put the 2 on static discharge onto apocalypse. We all know that Ignite is OP

Edited by HuMoR, 05 January 2014 - 20:27.

Characters:
Guthix:
Level 40 Mage.
Chelsea's Man<3

#5 ChelseaBrick

ChelseaBrick

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 20:33

i totally appreciate the advice and help.  there's so much to know... :D

8TLwd.jpg

#6 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 20:41

idk not to be rude or disrespectful i realy dont like that build....

flamelash is wasted talent... it does a mear %25 dmg as splash dmg... that isn't worth the talent point. also it turns one of your single target and most spammed skills into an aoe target skill. its best to leave it alone...

also its much better to boost your frostbite and blizzard. with them boosted you can gather 10-20 mobs hit frostbite take 1 step out of range and cast blizzard once get used  to it the mobs unfreeze from frostbite as soon as your blizzard is done so you can repeat and grind 10-20-30 mobs at once without taking much if any dmg. 

infact imo the ONLY reason to go mage over prophet is the talents for frostbite/blizzard. other than that prophet can dmg as much and heal a lot better so if not going with the aoe build then might concider prophet :)

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#7 sareth

sareth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 January 2014 - 20:43

start with funtain of mana, master of the arcane then upgrade incinerate, frostbite, haste, critical chance, blizzard and void pet is much welcome

Edited by sareth, 05 January 2014 - 20:44.

#8 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 20:52

fountain of mana? never needed it... all points into increasing dmg and boosting the frostbite/blizzard... when solo grinding you only ever need to cast frostbite/blizzard twice (if geared and specced good sometimes only once each) so no need for mana boost.... and in groups potions will get you threw the fights easily especialy when have a prophets buff :)

also as far as build everyone says dont go pure sorce.. you're going to die in ohdar, or To3 and what not.. but i'll tell you i went pure sorce and play smart you will be fine..... just learn the bosses and watch them closely. like ohdar stand away from everyone else and you can see when the boss will throw the rock at you so cast redeem you live then caulterize then continue dps. 

in conclusion i went pure sorc build, then boosted damage, haste, and aoe skills with talents. if you realy WANT i could give you an exact build but i think you wanted more tips than instructions right? :)

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#9 ZombieFreak

ZombieFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 January 2014 - 21:20

2ufsf3a.png

Edited by ZombieFreak, 05 January 2014 - 21:21.

#10 ChelseaBrick

ChelseaBrick

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 21:23

thanks so much for all the awesome info!  :D  

8TLwd.jpg

#11 sareth

sareth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 January 2014 - 21:24

fountain of mana? never needed it... all points into increasing dmg and boosting the frostbite/blizzard... when solo grinding you only ever need to cast frostbite/blizzard twice (if geared and specced good sometimes only once each) so no need for mana boost.... and in groups potions will get you threw the fights easily especialy when have a prophets buff :)

also as far as build everyone says dont go pure sorce.. you're going to die in ohdar, or To3 and what not.. but i'll tell you i went pure sorce and play smart you will be fine..... just learn the bosses and watch them closely. like ohdar stand away from everyone else and you can see when the boss will throw the rock at you so cast redeem you live then caulterize then continue dps. 

in conclusion i went pure sorc build, then boosted damage, haste, and aoe skills with talents. if you realy WANT i could give you an exact build but i think you wanted more tips than instructions right? :)

you cannot boost damage more than game offers... besides all offensive talents and upgrades at level 40 there will be 15 extra points to add anywhere. mana helps allot if you use incinerate.

#12 ZombieFreak

ZombieFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 January 2014 - 21:26

sorry its so small/ xD but all them are maxed.

#13 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 21:31

aye but them 15 points are best saved for end game then used in prophet tree with any combination of the following (our prefference as again not giving instructions just tips) 3 in prophecy, 2 in impowered healing, 2 in expunge, 1 in enlighten, 2 in southsaying, 3 in sanctuary, 3 relentless magics, 1 in radiance 

#14 ZombieFreak

ZombieFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 January 2014 - 21:32

ive found my build to be the best so far ;)

#15 Telivar

Telivar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 January 2014 - 21:33

my build until like 28ish

Master of the arcane

mental agility

focused mind

essence of magic

mathmagical

focus

intense focus

boiling point (if you want a hot, which the extra dmg is op as hell)

Pyromania

Invocation

blazing embers

Arcane Wrath

Apocalypse

And from here, aside from boiling point if you choose to spec, will give you decent damage with your base line skills from your essence to your incinerate which will be your main form of damage. Much of the talents are a bit of a wash and a waste i find unless you have this build as your core. If you spread your talents out from here you should be doing well.

Which most of the other points that you can spend will either choose if you want to main a pve or a pvp spec with their respective talents. (some are better than others and as you should be aware of other's spells in pvp).

edit

You don't need that much aoe in pve because blizzard can do the work and your single target skills will be enough for a boss and any adds that man appear.

But outside of what i stated you can be more useful in healing or specialize more in the damaging arts.

*pps* group with a prophet to never worry about mana again

Edited by Telivar, 05 January 2014 - 21:35.

www.soundcloud.com/marrow-machines

^electronic music page^

My mixtape is fire fam.

#16 ZombieFreak

ZombieFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 January 2014 - 21:35

my build until like 28ish

Master of the arcane

mental agility

focused mind

essence of magic

mathmagical

focus

intense focus

boiling point (if you want a hot, which the extra dmg is op as hell)

Pyromania

Invocation

blazing embers

Arcane Wrath

Apocalypse

And from here, aside from boiling point if you choose to spec, will give you decent damage with your base line skills from your essence to your incinerate which will be your main form of damage. Much of the talents are a bit of a wash and a waste i find unless you have this build as your core. If you spread your talents out from here you should be doing well.

Which most of the other points that you can spend will either choose if you want to main a pve or a pvp spec with their respective talents. (some are better than others and as you should be aware of other's spells in pvp).

edit

You don't need that much aoe in pve because blizzard can do the work and your single target skills will be enough for a boss and any adds that man appear.

But outside of what i stated you can be more useful in healing or specialize more in the damaging arts.

*pps* group with a prophet to never worry about mana again

tbh man i can name a few things u dont want in your list ;D

#17 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 21:35

good point teli :) all my sugestions/tips are for a pve build. 

#18 ZombieFreak

ZombieFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 January 2014 - 21:39

boiling blood isnt any good in pvp

ignite despair frostbite dragons breath. before u even get that boiling blood off u just got ownt

#19 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 21:44

aye IMO boiling blood isn't any good at all, the dmg it does isn't worth the 2 second cast time. but again this is just my views :) 

in the end, all personal prefrence aside. if you're wanting pve focus on talents that increase damage, haste, and boost your frostbite/blizzard. then end game branch to prophet...  if pvp still boost haste and direct dmg but can not worry as much about aoe's and branch into prophet sooner getting that extra haste and dmg absorb boost 

#20 ZombieFreak

ZombieFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 January 2014 - 21:50

because if ur casting boiling blood im gonna instant cast u with everything i have.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: