Photo

Mage advice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#21 ZombieFreak

ZombieFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 January 2014 - 21:56

anything with cast time isnt good for pvp/pve. if u look at my build it focuses on all instant cast.

#22 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 January 2014 - 22:12

Build that I'm currently targeting, based on experience in Beta, for PvE endgame at 40.  Subject to change.

http://talenttheory....4K1N2O2Q1V1Pd2/

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#23 Fizban

Fizban

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 January 2014 - 22:14

idk not to be rude or disrespectful i realy dont like that build....

flamelash is wasted talent... it does a mear %25 dmg as splash dmg... that isn't worth the talent point. also it turns one of your single target and most spammed skills into an aoe target skill. its best to leave it alone...

In hindsight i would have to agree on not getting flameflash and putting the points into making blizzard stronger.

I can tolerate ignorance, but i cannot stand stupidity

the past can't be altered, the future can't be controlled, live for the here and now

#24 ZombieFreak

ZombieFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 January 2014 - 22:32

5xq345.png

#25 Telivar

Telivar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 January 2014 - 22:45

because if ur casting boiling blood im gonna instant cast u with everything i have.

If you see me that is. then imma just miasma my ass outta there. or towards you then have my team focus fire on you.

I agree if boiling blood was an instant cast then it would be great. but that dmg increase with the chance of stun per tick is really really awesome.

hots and dots are fantastic. Great for boss encounters and it's a slow death with the addition of any other else who wants to join in on the fun. If you play a mage like a mage then you should get boiling blood dmg's bonus and use it in your rotation.

And if you blow your load on me, my team will have you trapped.

Edited by Telivar, 05 January 2014 - 22:48.

www.soundcloud.com/marrow-machines

^electronic music page^

My mixtape is fire fam.

#26 Telivar

Telivar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 January 2014 - 23:02

Build that I'm currently targeting, based on experience in Beta, for PvE endgame at 40.  Subject to change.

http://talenttheory....4K1N2O2Q1V1Pd2/

I am considering starlight heavily as the level cap is raised, hoping the fights will last longer as to it becomes useful when and IF you run out of mana. 

As far as zombie commenting on how instant spells aren't good for any thing, you're just limiting your self as a "caster". which, why would you want to roll a mage and focus on all instant spells when you're not using your full potential as what your talents are?

I think he just prefer aggressive game play.

^electronic music page^

My mixtape is fire fam.

#27 ZombieFreak

ZombieFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 January 2014 - 23:09

Not One Time Was I Rude Too You. And Instant Casting Is Not lImiting Myself Thats The Way That Mage Is On This Game.

#28 ZombieFreak

ZombieFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 January 2014 - 23:13

Trying To Be Flat Out Disrespectful. BULLY

#29 ChelseaBrick

ChelseaBrick

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 23:42

group hug y'all :D

8TLwd.jpg

#30 Telivar

Telivar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 January 2014 - 00:03

Trying To Be Flat Out Disrespectful. BULLY

Lol, your bum must be sore for some reason. It's a mage discussion. And their casting base. 

You speak in absolutes as well which could hurt you in the end.

I was not trying to do any thing than to discuss a mage build

Obviously just pointing flaws i see in what your build is. nothing more. I mean go ahead spec into it don't care. But your spells are purely based off casting, and to say that is useless as a mage contradicts the very role you decide to play as.

lmfao.

^electronic music page^

My mixtape is fire fam.

#31 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 00:09

this would be a build to aim for at 50.

http://talenttheory....d3g2j1m1o2t3v3/

this would be a pve build that should cover everything you'ld need, has enough haste to reduce your cooldowns enough so never have to wait on anything you can keep your rotation going 

you would get all mage talents first as thats your primary class then branch to prophet after got your final skill.

you would get all mage and prophet skills and would also get blind from the assassin page. 

Note: i would also try to get weapons that drop with Spell Haste boost's and/or spell attack power

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#32 ZombieFreak

ZombieFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 January 2014 - 00:39

its alright. ive done reported u for your rudeness an u keep doing it this is already being looked over. 

#33 WowRefugee

WowRefugee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:42

awollsd: That's an interesting build.  You are digging deep into the Prophet tree for more crit.

Is it actually possible to have both Focus and Enlighten (from you) up at the same time?

I have having a little trouble imagining how that talent selection fits together into a playstyle,

can you explain?

A Text-Based Talent Calculator For Eldevin: http://TalentTheory.com/calc/

Current Characters: Salador, Serculer, Aquinas

#34 Ultimecia

Ultimecia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:56

erupt is also instant cast and the talents for it is worthwhile.

#35 Telivar

Telivar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:02

its alright. ive done reported u for your rudeness an u keep doing it this is already being looked over. 

lol

^electronic music page^

My mixtape is fire fam.

#36 Telivar

Telivar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:05

awollsd: That's an interesting build.  You are digging deep into the Prophet tree for more crit.

Is it actually possible to have both Focus and Enlighten (from you) up at the same time?

I have having a little trouble imagining how that talent selection fits together into a playstyle,

can you explain?

I was talking to him about it earlier, and his explanation was mostly for doing things solo and taking the edge off of healing for the healer.

At least is what i gathered from our discussion.

^electronic music page^

My mixtape is fire fam.

#37 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:11

can you explain?

as far as play style when soloing aoe grinding that works just as it always does.. it has frostbite upgraded so it last long enough to do blizzard and has blizzard upgraded so it can kill with 1-2 uses.

have everything else boosted on mage so that we can take down bosses easily i avoid any threat reduction because a good tank can hold agro and its nice to have threat generated so if tehre is trouble and tank drops or needs a break or is sleeped i can take agro and use redeem and sirenty and caulterize and blind (or any combination needed) + a bit of kitting to give group time to get control of situation.

as far as why i get the skills in the prophet tree that i do...

prophecy for mana regen + mage wouldn't use any other talents on that tier.

empowred healing more haste (reduce cool down is always great.. with it + mage talents you can cast rather quickly)

expunge i only show 1 point to show that you can also get enlighten but realy could use the point in enlighten and make it 2 points there. if you're needing to caulterize then you'll also be needing to reduce dmg.

soothsaying some bosses have a "cant recieving healing debuff" so you'll need it having it to self use helps healer focus on other things. also it has the dmg reduction when boosted wich can come in handy if know a big attack is coming in. 

sanctuary increases the dmg absorbed by redeem and with this build you can cast fast and have high dmg so pull agro so you want your redeemed. also having it lets healer focus on tank when facing AOE bosses.

relentless magics lol easy CRITS! :) haha this build hits hard both single target and AOE and casts quickly 

its all about hititng hard and fast and using your knowledge of your toon and the mobs to survive.. you have the instant dmg reduction you have the heals you just dont have the hp or deffence so have to know when to use them or you drop.

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#38 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:21

oh i'ld like to add, also i dont realy see the other talents on the mage tree that usefull the ones i listed + the prophet talents work better imo..

like overloads talents yeah they are nice but if needing aoe dmg your blizzard works better so why take the cast or waste the talents to boost it..  if needing to slow isn't freezing the mobs better? so again frostbite works better there. 

boiling blood i already said i dont think its worth the talent or cast time. i can cast 2  incenerate and do more dmg than the boiling blood will. yeah you can use it as a lead off to pull mobs but 9 times out of 10 if you're pulling mobs you're solo grinding then you'll be wanting to AOE grind not single target pull.

miasma it sounds nice but realy i found no use for it... it always only worked very slightly better (and thats being nice) compared to other skills + it takes 5 talent points to get it to work that well so totaly best spent other places. 

... yeah i could go threw each but i'm sure people are already tiered of reading so i'll shut up ahaha.

#39 Telivar

Telivar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:40

oh i'ld like to add, also i dont realy see the other talents on the mage tree that usefull the ones i listed + the prophet talents work better imo..

like overloads talents yeah they are nice but if needing aoe dmg your blizzard works better so why take the cast or waste the talents to boost it..  if needing to slow isn't freezing the mobs better? so again frostbite works better there. 

boiling blood i already said i dont think its worth the talent or cast time. i can cast 2  incenerate and do more dmg than the boiling blood will. yeah you can use it as a lead off to pull mobs but 9 times out of 10 if you're pulling mobs you're solo grinding then you'll be wanting to AOE grind not single target pull.

miasma it sounds nice but realy i found no use for it... it always only worked very slightly better (and thats being nice) compared to other skills + it takes 5 talent points to get it to work that well so totaly best spent other places. 

... yeah i could go threw each but i'm sure people are already tiered of reading so i'll shut up ahaha.

Dude, i was thinking the same thing.

It feels like if you were to put more points into mage, it would be extremely useful on a potential pvp only purpose. Out side of pvp, The build i suggested (until 28) would be more than beneficial for a full time dungeon mage with a bit of awol's prophet hybrid for solo survivability and support healing (which i feel might be needed for some under geared players from time to time or to be extra safe).

If you do go the boiling blood route and have incinerate have that "afterburn". It'd be wise to treat incinerate as a hot while maintaining your auto attack on the boss and refreshing you BB and incinerates Afterburn for a nice constant dmg. Then every thing else is gravy.

It's mostly tastes and play style that make themagic classes so versatile!

Edited by Telivar, 06 January 2014 - 03:42.

^electronic music page^

My mixtape is fire fam.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: