Photo

Mage help plz

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#21 Hab

Hab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:51

Ahhh please stop this crap ... Habibi ur Zombie?

Overload crit chance increase only works on the Monster Overload hits, so you only have on 5 monster a higher crit chance, thats what makes it pointless out of dungeons where you have bosses + adds < 7 targets ... Or PvP where overload is OP because of the fact that there are 1-5 people max. and overload has a very high DPS compared to the AOE attacks - but overload is basically called a single target spell, even tho it can hit up to 5 ... 5 target hit make no difference on aoe grinding with pulls of 20+ monster at a time

Overload just suxx for leveling, overload is perfect for dungeons. point!

Best aoe grinding method is engulf urself, start pulling as much monster as possible, frostbite them + engulf a monster in the middle, blizzard -> all monster dead with 1 combo didnt need more than 1 combo most of the times.

At level ~35 or 36 you get dragonbreath and level 40 meteor, which increases your ability of aoe farming.

Doing Frostbite, engulf + dragonbreath or meteor (changing as of the higher cooldowns - as long as you dont own xxx spell haste to make it every pull) no need for blizzard anymore at this point.

Engulf is so OP because of the lifesteal you get for it and the high dmg.

Before level ~36 where you get dragonbreath its very good with the engulf + blizzard tactic, because you have very high life steal when you use a life on hit essence and on pulling you always get hit ... i was healing ~300-400 / second because engulf and blizzard both proc life on hit for every single monster it hits as AOE

Most Mages underestimate the factor of Life on Hit in Essences, but its freaking OP, with lvl 40 i can even tank lvl 40 monsters and burn them to ground without frostbite and just tanking because the lifesteal with meteor / dragonbreath + engulf is so enormous

I see, as you could see my earlier state i haven't personally tried out Engulf but the damage however sucks, no matter how you argue it.
I was just simply proving a point that overload with blizzard does more damage than just blizzard spam.
Proof, not theory.
But not everyone has access to Essences with gem slots or life on hit gem, atleast i know i don't.
Engulf is also later in the stage of the game, not where he could possibly access now.

Edited by Hab, 05 February 2014 - 08:53.

#22 Lagenia

Lagenia

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:57

There are essences from dungeons with life on hit rolls

Overload + blizzard doesnt increase the damage, because the crit chance increase isnt global, its only on the overloaded enemies.

So you still need to kill 15 of the 20 monsters manual ... the first 5 you overloaded perhaps die 20% faster - but the other doesnt ... but you have to run in circle for a little longer, because you used time casting the overload instead of starting blizzard right away - And if you cast engulf on a overloaded monster, it will make less damage because the overloaded monster will probably die faster and the engulf disappear.

Are you really discussing about how good something on a mage is with a lvl 19 mage only? Trying to overrule all the Level 40 Mages, that tried out not just 1 talent specc, am i getting this right here?

5700658DHjpT.png

6 x Level 40, 8 to go

#23 Hab

Hab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:17

There are essences from dungeons with life on hit rolls

Overload + blizzard doesnt increase the damage, because the crit chance increase isnt global, its only on the overloaded enemies.

So you still need to kill 15 of the 20 monsters manual ... the first 5 you overloaded perhaps die 20% faster - but the other doesnt ... but you have to run in circle for a little longer, because you used time casting the overload instead of starting blizzard right away - And if you cast engulf on a overloaded monster, it will make less damage because the overloaded monster will probably die faster and the engulf disappear.

Are you really discussing about how good something on a mage is with a lvl 19 mage only? Trying to overrule all the Level 40 Mages, that tried out not just 1 talent specc, am i getting this right here?

Why are you discussing the fact there are 20 monsters right now? Lets say 100, hell why not 1000? Let's be rational!!
OVER NINE THOUSAND ENEMIES. Seriously....?
I'm sure there are essences with life on hit rolls from dungeons but none of the low level instances have i ever seen one drop, i've been doing them ALOT.

I'm not deying the fact that Overload would be completely useless in a pull with twenty monsters but you have to be rational, If you are gonna use a sequence of spells you might aswell adapt to the situation you are in.
Noone said you should use Overload with a pull of 20 monsters, now did i?
Overload is efficent if used correctly.
You being level 40 doesn't really factor in here at all, since he is level 20. You have as much information about the game as i do in this perspective.. Heck i could even say that i have probably more experience than you regarding what drops in dungeons right now at our level.

#24 Lagenia

Lagenia

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:22

I talk from my point of being level 20 exactly.

I dont talk about Questing and going against monsters 1 by 1

He asked for a efficient way to farm xp, and not to quest and go with the Storyline.

And from level 18 on i made Mass Aoe Grinding all the way to level 40 within 10h

If you dont want the tips of how to level fast, than dont read them and play with ur single target Questing style, but dont get aggro over people helping the actual First-Poster on how to Level fast 

edit:

for the Original Poster as add:

Monsters and Spells you use:

Level 18-22: Level 18 Plagued north of Roshaven, they are nonaggro but with 1 hit more monster run behind you - rotation: frostbite (with talent to 7 sec stun) - blizzard - frostbite - blizzard, when you reach lvl 20 you can add in engulf life explained 2 posts before

Level 22-25 i mostly leveled with quests / ohdar because i cant remember a good aoe area

Level 25 start doing SV / Garai - good xp and you get the set of the dungeons

Level 26-29 Garai Terrace AOE grinding on Mummies - once you find the right circle there are smaller groups of ~7 Monster which you can pull together 2 at a time so ~14 monsters then aoe them - 3 groups of 14 available in the circle -> rotation frostbite, engulf, blizzard

Level 29-32 Ardera Barrows Melee Goblins (there are 2 caves, 1 with mages, 1 with melee) 

Level 32-34/35 Betex Void (in the area of Ardera Barrows a portal): Here you can kill Kaurs (in the north East area) - high life, but with engulf, frostbite, blizzard its ok - mind the ranged monsters (only a few there)

Level 34/35-37 Owlbears: When you can get a teleport with lvl 34 into blossom ridge use it and go kill Owlbears till lvl 37

Level 37-40 Landfalls: Isle of Nasaroth in the most North-Eastern region loads of lvl 38 Landfalls

Edited by Lagenia, 05 February 2014 - 09:29.

5700658DHjpT.png

6 x Level 40, 8 to go

#25 Hab

Hab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:29

He asked for a efficient way to farm xp, and not to quest and go with the Storyline.

And from level 18 on i made Mass Aoe Grinding all the way to level 40 within 10h

If you dont want the tips of how to level fast, than dont read them and play with ur single target Questing style, but dont get aggro over people helping the actual First-Poster on how to Level fast 

I suggest you read before you post, go and read page 1.

#26 Lagenia

Lagenia

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:31

I suggest you read before you post, go and read page 1.

Can someone please help me with my mage lvling.  I would like to try AoE levelling, as the quests are getting a bit tiresome now.

^---- this is the Quote of the Originial Poster, he gets tired of Questing and want to AOE Level fast instead of stupid questing. So plz just stop trying to argue over something you basically dont know about #AoE Leveling# ...

5700658DHjpT.png

6 x Level 40, 8 to go

#27 Hab

Hab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:40

^---- this is the Quote of the Originial Poster, he gets tired of Questing and want to AOE Level fast instead of stupid questing. So plz just stop trying to argue over something you basically dont know about #AoE Leveling# ...

Sad part is that i probably know more than you...

#28 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 16:27

Lag HoH works on engulf? so that does make it useful however you said cast it on you while gathering, then on mobs after frostbite? or did i miss read?

i could see casting before frostbite if the HoH works but you dont want to cast anything after frostbite when grinding because it delays your blizzard and makes it last longer then the frostbites freeze. 

but yeah to the OP if you get a heal on hit essence then go ahead and get engulf aswell. gather mobs, cast engulf on one of the mobs then frostbite the heal on hit will heal you so dont matter you just got hit more from casting then frostbite, move one step away cast blizzard. 

with the talents blizzard ends at same time the mobs unfreeze from frostbite and frostbite is off CD so able to repeat without enteruption. 

Edited by awollsd, 05 February 2014 - 16:29.

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#29 CallMeMessiah

CallMeMessiah

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 18:19

edit:

for the Original Poster as add:

Monsters and Spells you use:

Level 18-22: Level 18 Plagued north of Roshaven, they are nonaggro but with 1 hit more monster run behind you - rotation: frostbite (with talent to 7 sec stun) - blizzard - frostbite - blizzard, when you reach lvl 20 you can add in engulf life explained 2 posts before

Level 22-25 i mostly leveled with quests / ohdar because i cant remember a good aoe area

Level 25 start doing SV / Garai - good xp and you get the set of the dungeons

Level 26-29 Garai Terrace AOE grinding on Mummies - once you find the right circle there are smaller groups of ~7 Monster which you can pull together 2 at a time so ~14 monsters then aoe them - 3 groups of 14 available in the circle -> rotation frostbite, engulf, blizzard

Level 29-32 Ardera Barrows Melee Goblins (there are 2 caves, 1 with mages, 1 with melee) 

Level 32-34/35 Betex Void (in the area of Ardera Barrows a portal): Here you can kill Kaurs (in the north East area) - high life, but with engulf, frostbite, blizzard its ok - mind the ranged monsters (only a few there)

Level 34/35-37 Owlbears: When you can get a teleport with lvl 34 into blossom ridge use it and go kill Owlbears till lvl 37

Level 37-40 Landfalls: Isle of Nasaroth in the most North-Eastern region loads of lvl 38 Landfalls

Thank you thank you and thank you...

To all contributors..amazing reading the replies.  Really like how there are multiple opinions and ways to play mage.  Bodes well..

~M~

#30 Tidus

Tidus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:12

I used a HoH gem in my ess and it is really use full for aoe grinding with mobs of 15+. HoH works with any damage spell you cast,I was able to heal 400hp/second from my blizzard and frostbite which drastically reduced my use of mana potions from not having to waste 200 mana on cauterize.

#31 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:21

right on, i'm going to have to start sugesting it for my lvling guild members. some of them can't frostbite without getting hit aswell as i did so it'll be really useful for them. perhaps i'll be looking to replace my essence for the 40-45 content (if i'm still actualy playing then)

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#32 Susej

Susej

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 20:15

After reading everything i came to a conclusion Awol_lsd is right and aoe farming is better with Frostbite+blizzard, as a prophet i include stun( radiance(can't remember the name)) to the cycle.

and do frostbyte-blizzard-stun-rejuvenate-frostbite....

And this has worked for me well.

Edited by Susej, 07 February 2014 - 20:16.

OCD POT BREWER HOUSE

Need level 32 pots order here

Need level 40 pots order here

Need Draft pots order here

Need Elixir pots order here

#33 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 20:24

the stuns are radiance for prophet and miasma for mage.... i always felt and still do that miasma is waste it take 5 points for it to be of any help and the points are much much better used elsewhere... some say miasma is good in pvp but even then i dont see it other classes have better stun or atleast equal to without them having to use 5 points to make the skill worth while. and with stun immunity better to just let team members stun and save your talents/mana

for aoe grinding i could see stun helping you get your freeze and get out of the way but at that much of an expense of talent points.... with practice you can frostbite without getting hit and with Heal on hit as lag pointed out its ok to get hit. but if have trouble then sure use miasma :)

#34 Susej

Susej

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 20:47

the stuns are radiance for prophet and miasma for mage.... i always felt and still do that miasma is waste it take 5 points for it to be of any help and the points are much much better used elsewhere... some say miasma is good in pvp but even then i dont see it other classes have better stun or atleast equal to without them having to use 5 points to make the skill worth while. and with stun immunity better to just let team members stun and save your talents/mana

for aoe grinding i could see stun helping you get your freeze and get out of the way but at that much of an expense of talent points.... with practice you can frostbite without getting hit and with Heal on hit as lag pointed out its ok to get hit. but if have trouble then sure use miasma :)

Without getting hit?

Teach me MASTER i always get hit once or twice ehehhehe, that is why i reju after a sequence, btw another reason why i do radiance is because frostbyte is still in cooldown because i dont have the two points in talents of mage tree.

I have put my point in radiance mainly so that mobs leave me alone for a while  i do crimson chain or anything of the sort in parties, it seems to make mobs go to another target even if they do not get stunned, so i might as well use it grinding exp..

Regards

OCD POT BREWER HOUSE

#35 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 21:11

oh yeah radiance is a must have skill for prophet... its much better than pacifist 25% threat reduction to all casts.... 

and to frostbite without getting hit is basicaly just learning the range of the spell and never stop moving till its cast...

you gather all mobs you want to gather (as amny as you can before they start to drop off) then run around them in a circle just out of their range to group them tighter together. then knowing the range of frostbite you can run past them just outside their range to hit but inside range to frostbite cast and stop for blizzard. 

mage can do that with out interuption because of frostbite lengthened and CD reduced. prophet can not unless he specs 10 points into mage

#36 Praetor

Praetor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 17:53

I used a HoH gem in my ess and it is really use full for aoe grinding with mobs of 15+. HoH works with any damage spell you cast,I was able to heal 400hp/second from my blizzard and frostbite which drastically reduced my use of mana potions from not having to waste 200 mana on cauterize.

Base poster is a level 20 mage...what essence is available to a level 20 mage that has an open gem slot?

#37 Susej

Susej

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 19:05

Base poster is a level 20 mage...what essence is available to a level 20 mage that has an open gem slot?

Cant remember the name but you get a level 20 essence from a lich, that might have 1 and only one gem slot open, but its a pain to grind until it drops an open one i used one with spell haste already attached

OCD POT BREWER HOUSE

#38 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 00:47

as susej said lich at cursed tower is probably the easiest to get... 

though it isn't a pain to get... the lich does have a bit of a long respawn time but you can bypass that by changing servers (unless devs see that as an exploit but i dont think so...) doing that speeds up the process and you'll get it in no time.

#39 ZombieFreak

ZombieFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:46

here is the best possible aoe mage build

EDIT:: NOTE THAT MY BUILD IS A LOT DIFFERENT NOW THAT I DONT RUN DUNGEONS AS MUCH AND I PREFER SINGLE TARGET MAGE.k3xfzb.png

Edited by ZombieFreak, 12 February 2014 - 10:48.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: