Photo

My mage: looking for talent point suggestions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 Blissy

Blissy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:13

hi,

soo my mage is nearly 34 at the moment.  not sure if later on in her 40's I'll have to think about a respec.

mage noobie here.   below is a picture of her talents currently.   all her attribute points are in sorcery.

I have 3 points I can use now or continue to save.

looking for advice with those that know about mages.   Suggestions to where to put these 3 points.  actually maybe add the 4th point to that as well since she's closing in on 34.  Like my ranger I am taking my time on her so sure to have more questions in the future.

hopefully you can see in the picture how many points I have in the talents chosen.

I had some help respecing her back in her early 20's so based what she has on the suggestions given.

Slow but steady wins the race or something like that.

I'm just taking it slow, not sure about the steady.

*Pre-Steam release Player*

*Joined Spring of 2014 *

#2 hidulphus

hidulphus

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:44

boiling point and scald is a must for any mage. good for bossing pve. pvp. and even when soloing quest

#3 Blissy

Blissy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:28

boiling point and scald is a must for any mage. good for bossing pve. pvp. and even when soloing quest

ahh thanks hidu^^. and yah I'm pve, forgot to mention that.

*Joined Spring of 2014 *

#4 rowbet

rowbet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Badge

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:54

If I my figures aren't way out of date, pyro (+20% critical) gives an average of +10% on damage (+50% for 1 hit in 5), whereas flamelash also gives an average of +10% (+10% on every hit) but does it on dragons breath as well (so you wouldn't notice the difference for a couple of levels yet).

Mental agility (spell haste) also seems to be a good deal.

Robet (Proph 49)   Orbet (mage 49)  Ebrot (magepro 49)

Tebor (warsin 49)   Orteb(sin 49)  Beort (warsin 49 - might become tank)

Betro (ranger 49)   Trobe (??? 6 - there for bene runs - just whisper

#5 Anameisaname

Anameisaname

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:54

Healing, fire spell, miasma bad, take ignite, erupt, haste.

#6 luke94

luke94

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Badge

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:00

http://talenttheory....F1I4K1N2O2Q1V1/

there's a pve spec full mage (43points) if you do decide to go to 47 with it blissy...

as hidu said boiling blood specced fully is nice.. pyromania is nice also..

mental agility is a must with 3% haste per light armour item = 18% haste (gear set + belt).

intense focus is a waste of 2 points as it is applied to your focus attribute and if you're full sorc its pretty worthless... its still worthless even if you go full focus.

flash freeze is taken only if you find yourself in danger and need a movespeed boost to get out of there.

any other questions just ask.. :)

EDIT: alternatively the 2 points taken out of intense focus or flash freeze can be put in proph tree for 20% increase healing, but it's upto you

Edited by luke94, 03 May 2015 - 09:01.

June 2013 (beta) - July 2017

#7 Fizban

Fizban

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • Badge

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:20

Mage build.jpg

Hope this helps you Mistress Bliss ;)

I can tolerate ignorance, but i cannot stand stupidity

the past can't be altered, the future can't be controlled, live for the here and now

#8 hidulphus

hidulphus

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:28

haha miasma talented is bad?? lol lol

if you spam miasma+ignite and erupt your speed of annihilating enemy increase, this come from experience of doing speed run. though it means you need to spam the skill, but if you want to be a good mage/dps miasma with% damage is an important skill. uness you wanna become those mage who spam fireball 24/7^^.

#9 Mongo

Mongo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts
  • Badge

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:21

Melee talents! definitely Melee talents! :wub:

Visit my shop! Mongo's Emporium for emotes, pets, vanity and more!

#10 Anameisaname

Anameisaname

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 14:51

Said its for pve hidulphus. Only reason to use miasma there is if want to make farming story mode efficient.. And for that you only need 1 point. and possible another for the stun but i never actually needed that.

Oh and using miasma for dmg is only good when you have to move anyway, otherwise it's wasted time you could have casted a fireball. As much as it looks stupid to repeat 1 spell it's much more efficient than using miasma. Especially because you also waste talent points.

#11 Ood

Ood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 15:17

Must have mage talents:

Master of the Arcane

Mental Agility

Essence of Magic

Boiling Point

Pyromania

Scald

Chilling (PvE)

Plasma Shield

Arcane Wrath

Invocation

Fissure

Apocalypse

Starlight

Dragon's Breath

Nice to have:

Fountain of Mana 

Focused Mind

Flamelash

Flash Freeze

Icy Touch

Flame Buffet (PvP)

Nightmare

Miasma

Dark of Night

Engulf

Free Your Mind

Void Portal

Conflagaration

Debateable/lesser used

Overpowered

Static Discharge

Biting Cold

Engulf

Blazing Embers

Void Portal

Don't Bother with:

Mathemagical

Intense Focus

Breakdown

Replenishment

Phase Walking

Other Talents to Consider (if not insistent of 100% mage)

Focused Healing (prophet tree, easier soloing with bigger heals)

Prophecy (prophet tree, if you have trouble w/ mana consumption this might help, but consider an aquamarine first, efficacy is about the same)

Empowered Healing (Prophet Tree, extra haste is nice, but getting it here is a 5 talent point commitment)

Volley (Ranger Tree, also works with essences, probably consider this before prophecy if you have trouble with mana)

Edited by Ood, 03 May 2015 - 15:19.

#12 hidulphus

hidulphus

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 15:19

it is for pve :)

imagine if you use miasma before you erupt and dragon breath. more damage that way. especially when bossing like asv arg bt rg.

it is a misconception if you think miasma only for moving. you can just click on the same spot no need to move away.

this have been tested again and again^^ i even use it on my mage works just fine. 

#13 hidulphus

hidulphus

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 15:23

oh btw essence of magic only works for normal hit. it seems that talent bugged.

even though it's said ranged attack ability. but when i test this talent with fireball, it doesn't add any damage on the enemy :angry:

#14 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 03 May 2015 - 16:15

oh btw essence of magic only works for normal hit. it seems that talent bugged.

even though it's said ranged attack ability. but when i test this talent with fireball, it doesn't add any damage on the enemy :angry:

The talent works correctly, same as ranger Volley.  Discussed in an old thread.  Talent says 'Ranged Attack ability' (notice capitalization and word ability), not 'ranged attack'.  In other words, it works for the specific ability 'Ranged Attack', not any ranged attack.  That said, I agree it's limited usefulness.  It does sometimes fire between spell attacks, or useful for a couple of extra mana points.  But mostly I just use Starlight or a potion.

Back on topic, here's my 45 build

http://talenttheory....3N2O2Q1V1Pd3g2/

* I like the mana from Prophecy, and Empowered Healing is better haste then Invocation.  Alternatively, you could place 1 point in Prophecy and 2 in Focused Healing.

* I may remove points from Essence from Magic for reasons given above.

* Tried Miasma.  Good run away when in trouble, but found the occasional jump didn't help as much as I had hoped in mini-boss (solo) fights.

* Unless it changed, Intense Focus only works on base focus, not focus from gear.  Therefore a waste of points for an 'all attributes in sorcery' build.

* Mental Agility = 15% haste.  Unless you're capped, how could you not want that?

* Flamelash, 10% to Incinerate, your bread 'n butter skill.

* Boiling Point/Scald.  Great against bosses.  Great starter against mini-bosses.

* Solo, can't see taking Dark of Night, as I see Miasma as a get away spell.

* I do like Free your Mind for a long boss fight, although a pot or Starlight is enough.  You'll have plenty of mana for leveling without it.

* Flash Freeze doesn't really come into its own until you also have Erupt.  But still very useful just with Blizzard.

This is the build I used when I ran TR story mode at 39 with quest and found gear only.  Unfortunately, I don't have my 34 build (TO3 story) anymore.

http://talenttheory....1K1N1O2Q1Pd3g2/(I might actually have had Static Discharge rather then Essence of Magic, not sure).

And don't forget to buy the prophet spells Cauterize, Rejuvenate, and Redemption.

Note on story mode instance bosses.  Set Void on aggressive.  You'll take at most one hit before Void grabs aggro.  This give you a chance for a free Boiling Blood and a few incinerates.

Edited by Irradiated, 03 May 2015 - 17:49.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#15 hidulphus

hidulphus

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 16:59

so you mean it only works on ranger skill?

does the damage from all your spell like erupt ignite dragon breath got the bonus?

last time i tried the damage from flameball before i take the skill and after i take the skill(essence of magic)

it gives the same amount of damage. so does boiling blood. i tried with these two.

i think there is a misconception for miasma as fleeing skill.

don't think about the movement capability. think of it as a skill that give you 15%damage for 10s. you just need to click on it then you got bonus damage. these 10s is more than enough to add overal damage, to cast erupt ignite and boiling blood/dragon breath. well just my opinion though ;) after your done casting those skill you can continue to spam flame ball. 

#16 hidulphus

hidulphus

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 17:05

remove your replenishment if possible, 3% Hp in 6s.

if your hp 10k then 3% of it is 300 and it heals over 6s. which means 50hp /second. better use rejuvenate.

and remove phase walking.

#17 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 03 May 2015 - 17:13

Yes.  When you use an essence, you're using the ranger skill Ranged Attack.  So no bonuses when using any spell.  This is also true for the ranger and Volley.

Interesting point about Miasma.  I'll have to take another look at it.  Still, three points is a lot.

Agreed about avoiding both Replenishment and Phase Walking.

Edited by Irradiated, 03 May 2015 - 17:15.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#18 luke94

luke94

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Badge

Posted 03 May 2015 - 22:38

Quoting hidul... Where he wrote (miasma is enough time for erupt/ignite...) - I'm on my phone so not doing the proper quote like I should in forums

After miasma you have plenty of time if you're quick enough to set off all 4, I've proven it many times. The rotation goes:

1. Miasma
2. Boiling blood (while channeling select erupt and move to target) - 2sec channel giving plenty of time
3. Erupt - instant, say 1sec
4. Ignite - instant, say 1sec
5. Dragon breath - 6seconds or whatever it is

Thats done over 2 ability bars, so bar switching is also used

Now if you look at that rotation and have ~50% haste your ignite will have a 7-9second cooldown meaning after db its pretty much ready to go again..

Ultimately blissy the choice is yours about whether you want miasma or not.. But its a yes for me.

Sorry about any grammatical mistakes, wrote this in 5minutes on my phone lol

Edited by luke94, 03 May 2015 - 22:41.

June 2013 (beta) - July 2017

#19 Blissy

Blissy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 00:11

Melee talents! definitely Melee talents! :wub:

lmaoo..u so funny mongo bongo *hugs*

time to take notes and I'll look over my talents and all and consider everything suggested.  she doesn't have a set, wearing all rare blue items I got from various drops but maybe I'll try for the 35 and wear that for some time.  she hit 34 and being mage noobie I think I'll need practice at later levels on how best to use skills especially in dungeons.  will refer to all posted suggestions and links.   thanks all <3  

*Joined Spring of 2014 *

#20 redsmokeboy

redsmokeboy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts
  • Badge

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:46

haha miasma talented is bad?? lol lol

if you spam miasma+ignite and erupt your speed of annihilating enemy increase, this come from experience of doing speed run. though it means you need to spam the skill, but if you want to be a good mage/dps miasma with% damage is an important skill. uness you wanna become those mage who spam fireball 24/7^^.

Agree: Best dmg skill with out using any other skill.

Over all do have 3 instant dmg skill's Easy used with 50% haste or more, Rotation down 15% bost well worth 3 points.

Facto 3 skill easy use with in time frame for added 15% bonus Top with Starlight Mass bons for those 3 instant skill.

!-2 fire balls incerate well worth geting skill. Now all matter of play styal - Keypoint as mage is DPS with PvE minor healing as well worth geting.

My self playing mage have yet find propper build works well for me. Keep reading post's here.

Fountain of Mana Well worth geting this skill personal option.

Essence of Magic: 1% of toatal mana - 4k mana = 40 mana with basic attack's small worth small gain from it, Mana potion them self get bonus.

With new hp/mana gem's depend where can use them might be even more usefull if get manage more Mana. thought small bonus is almost not even worth using.

averge mage should have at least 3500 mana fully geared for most part.

factor in 10% bonus on top of the it 350 hp small bonus but now mana pool = 3850 now take in account 1% from ess basic att now incrased. bye 3 mana per hit small bonus factor this with basic regen gains around 12-15 or so every sec.

Factor 6 mana from regen + 38 mana on basic hit. very small gains here.

Over all very on what your doing my self like more mana, Mana burn unlike most mage's seen  run out of mana perty fast during fight.

starlight + mana potion Work's for most part if just spaming Incerate Now if doing full mana burn using 3 instant dmg skill and or misamage for dmg bosting run dry fast small mana gain is worth it.

factor in using Aqua as bonus regen with Profit tree might added up to be worth using but in it self not greatly usefull sadly so.

"* Unless it changed, Intense Focus only works on base focus, not focus from gear.  Therefore a waste of points for an 'all attributes in sorcery' build."

Meleager

Level 47

Used the skill did not see much of any bonus crit % wasted of 2 point's

Edited by redsmokeboy, 04 May 2015 - 03:11.

Frog - Archer - lvl 49

Kazzarat - Templar lvl 49 Skiller

Redsmokegirl - War/sin lvl 49

Q PvP | No repair fee's | 1% EXP of lvl | Valor | Weekly 10 match | Achvemnt's | So much more Join when log | Click on cross sword via mini map Q solo |

Looking for group's RG/BT/ASV/ARG/ICC/CC Boss Killing/Arena 30+/ToC/ Need DPS willing come usly asking in world chat.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: