Photo

GvG and New Players.

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

Poll: GvG and New Players. (143 member(s) have cast votes)

Should new players be exempt from GvG as they are in PvP?

1. Yes. (117 votes [83.57%])

Percentage of vote: 83.57%

2. No. (23 votes [16.43%])

Percentage of vote: 16.43%

If yes, at what level should they be introduced?

1. 25 (42 votes [29.79%])

Percentage of vote: 29.79%

2. 50 (54 votes [38.30%])

Percentage of vote: 38.30%

3. 75+ (29 votes [20.57%])

Percentage of vote: 20.57%

4. N/A (Chose 'No' for question 1.) (16 votes [11.35%])

Percentage of vote: 11.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Bubbajoe10

Bubbajoe10

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:47

i voted no....its up to the guild to make sure its members are up to speed concerning GVG...we make sure all our members have an offline set (untagged) and to keep it on when not logged in ..we also buff our members when a gvg hits....if you do anything..why not make it an introductory quest...or fix it so any player under level 50 in a guild who gets hit durning a gvg takes no damage to their gear....Honestly do we really need a nanny state to take care of every little thing in the game....its only GVG you only take some damage to your gear.no gold or xp loss....i remember getting hit in my forst gvg...it  wasn't that bad...i think we all need to stop trying to make this game any easier.

#42 Splash

Splash

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 21:25

What ever happened to that GvG idea one of the cows posted a while back? iirc it was about using the world map.

Edit: Was this

Edit*2: Yea ... I think it's about time we start thinking about this idea again.

#43 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 29 May 2013 - 22:13

My belief is that new players should be nurtured and "protected" until they have had long enough in the game to get an idea of the basics first.

Level 25 is probably achievable within 2 or 3 days now (not sure how accurate that is, but it will be very quickly with starting reserve stams and such)

I think players should be protected from both PvP and GvG until they are Level 100 - BUT - with a disclaimer that allows them to start beforehand if they so wish. The first time they try to PvP and/or GvG tho, there should be some sort of big warning that continuing with such action will result in them losing their protection and being able to be hit at will by other players.

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#44 devincache

devincache

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 22:14

Is making GvG more of an invitation rather than an abrupt attack a bad thing?

For example, in a secure trade, one player specifies their offer and then what the other player will offer. In terms of GvG, the initiating guild specifies the amount of attacks, the players that will participate, and the amount of time the guilds will ... Battle? Conflict? Whatever. If the guild being challenged declines or does not reply in a set amount of time, then they get penalized. Maybe in RP points, maybe in rank, or something along those lines.

Just an idea, it's hard enough to keep new players longer than a week, and when they get massacred by a farmer in GvG their life expectancy is reduced significantly.

Excuse my wall of text.

#45 watagashi

watagashi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 22:15

What ever happened to that GvG idea one of the cows posted a while back? iirc it was about using the world map.

Edit: Was this

Edit*2: Yea ... I think it's about time we start thinking about this idea again.

ADD it dont replace GvG with it,,been asking for it for a while now it sounded like a lot of fun!

The issue isnt GvG or its mechanice its butthurt spoiled players who cant take a hit, new players who dont have the info to tell what happened to them so they flip out about it and guilds who dont want to GvG or simply cant gear their people trying to ruin it for those who do.

And FARMING?? I actually got to a point im proud of it now,, Ripplelady and I are the Monsanto of GvG!!! Of course you dont hear me complaining about the gold YOU earn spending 250 stam on leveling, doing 2.5 bountys, selling your stam for buffs or anything else the entire game and all games are based on, make game money with game work! At average 1.5 per win whos "profiting"? We are barely getting enough to pay for our buffs!

#46 volcom

volcom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 29 May 2013 - 22:41

IMO the GvG should start at level 50

however, after 1 month playing, new players should be valid targets. 

#47 wil72

wil72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 22:55

I voted Yes and introduce them to GvG at level 25. I've mellowed tongue.png

But not entirely.

I only voted the way I did to show I am capable of taking on board another point of view and this vote is in line with current PvP restrictions and in my opinion its the one that should be implemented. I fear that the Cows have already decided that a cap is going to be placed on GvG participation so please let it be this one.

I agree completely with Bubbajoe. GvG is a Guild only pursuit, if your not part of a Guild you don't get to play. In fact the guild has to have at least 2 members to initiate. Can a solo Guild still get hit?

If its a Guild only pursuit and, by gosh, it is then should it not be up to the Guild to try and protect new players who join that guild and not that of Hunted Cow Studios?

Those that are all in favour of the cap, and by the way I've given some ground with my vote so i would like to see a bit of movement from you guys, say " you can't protect new players at level 1 this player has no chance against a level 25 player, no buffs or gear help "  Well, who stays at level 1? Do these new players not level? A new player should be able with just a teeny weeny bit of help reach at least level 25 in a Guild. Then they get a spiffing GvG set of their own.

Whats is protection anyway?

If a new player joins a Guild that does not indulge itself in GvG what chance have they got? If that Guild just lies down to being attacked and does nothing to try and prevent it the " new player " really has no hope. Oh wait, they do actually, they can join another Guild, one that is prepared to give help even if it does seem futile. Join a Guild that will help with repair costs, will attack back. Show that they are no push over or easy touch. A " new player " in that type of Guild might not find things so tough. Tough, man, give me a break.

So the question has to be asked is this really " new player " protection or non GvGing Guild protection?

Hey Mongo, how you doing mate? smile.png  I'm writting this off the top of my head so forgive me if I'm wrong but you mentioned something about opting in to GvG...right? Was that player or Guild? If it was the player I'd have to disagree, sorry. GvG is a guild pursuit so a player within it should not be able to opt out if the Guild itself partakes in GvG. And to be honest no Guild should have the ability to opt out. It needs to level to 100 to participate in GvG. Plenty of time to prepare in my opinion.

GvG capped at 50. Takes a fair number of active players out of the game who GvG slightly under it. Do we want that? These are players who are already here, are active, enjoy the game. Those level 50 cap lovers say " they can level, get new gear, GvG higher. But will they or will they just say " GvG capped at 50 next it will be 75 then 100 then 200, I'm off, cya! "

Scary thought....no?

And finally, bet your all saying " about bloody time ", what does a GvGer look for in a target? New player? Or a Guild thats reasonably inactive and has a " new player " ?

Guilds! Be active, be strong then GvG wont pong wink.png

Cheers.

wil72

#48 Filletminion

Filletminion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 23:25

New players should be exempt from pvp and gvg until level 50 ,as the game exists now Neither is the case ,new players can still be robbed  pvped for gold even in their protection phase.

#49 wil72

wil72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 23:31

Any " new players " care to comment on this thread, your thoughts are most relevant.

Cheers.

wil72

#50 Crzy

Crzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 303 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:17

I know when i first started, which wasn't that long ago, if my Guild had a conflict initiated against it i would inevitably be attacked as a low level / weaker player. While the cost of repair wasn't overly expensive it did become a bit tedious to have to log in and repair lots of times. It didn't stop me from playing but it was definitely a negative experience.

I voted yes, a new player should be protected and i think level 50 is a reasonable point to have become used to the game / join a Guild / get some decent gear.

^There's one. :P

qu29_zpsff77e35f.png

^^Sig by the awesome ArtistGorn!^^^

#51 Ali

Ali

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:42

I see that I'm in the minority here, but I voted, "no," to question 1.  

I don't feel that there is a need to protect low-level players from GvG.  I view GvG as "PvP Lite" - it allows players to learn the basics of PvP without all of the associated costs.  It allows them to try out different setups and learn what works and what doesn't, without risking their gold and xp.  

The level limit on PVP was implemented largely out of the fear that new players were getting discouraged and leaving the game from all the farming.  While this may have been true, I disagreed with the decision then and continue to do so.  Now, I see that you are considering protecting new players from GvG - an aspect of game play that doesn't even threaten to harm them, and which can be very beneficial for them.  I simply don't agree that this is a good thing.

#52 Ali

Ali

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:51

i voted no....its up to the guild to make sure its members are up to speed concerning GVG...we make sure all our members have an offline set (untagged) and to keep it on when not logged in ..we also buff our members when a gvg hits....if you do anything..why not make it an introductory quest...or fix it so any player under level 50 in a guild who gets hit durning a gvg takes no damage to their gear....Honestly do we really need a nanny state to take care of every little thing in the game....its only GVG you only take some damage to your gear.no gold or xp loss....i remember getting hit in my forst gvg...it  wasn't that bad...i think we all need to stop trying to make this game any easier.

And I'll add a +1 to Bubbajoe's comments.  I know that it's become traditional not to force guilds to take responsibility for their membership.  If someone goes inactive, why force the guild to either boot them or deal with the consequences of keeping corpses in the basement?  Instead we'll just make them impervious to attack!  It's easy, it's simple, and it absolves the guild leadership from actually having to make a decision!

This is more of the same.  

#53 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:11

Voted for exemption until 75+. People can level super fast these days, however leveling doesn't come hand in hand with understanding of how the game works. Just talking to some of the people who are crowded around EoC can tell you that...

I like my solution better though, just make it impossible for anyone to involve you in GvG. B)

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

#54 morderme

morderme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:22

Simply program the game so that you cannot be included in GvG until you reach level 25.

I like the idea that if a player actively participates in a GvG before level 25, that is, initiates a GvG or is part of an attacking GvG, they lose that protection.  Probably should include a pop-up that says as much when the player tries to take their first "swing" in GvG.

I did my fair share of GvGing at the lower levels and was amazed at how "young" guilds would go nuts and down right nasty when I attacked their guilds in GvG.

Problem with players joining a "helpful" guild is that most of the top guilds restrict their membership to a high minimum stam and level to join, so new players to the game may join guilds with members not much more experience with the game than they are.

#55 iambrad

iambrad

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:39

...Our focus for this is to introduce new players to these aspects of the game, explaining what is going on instead of them suddenly finding themselves attacked and their armour broken and so on. We want to encourage new players to engage with all the aspects of the game and as such are asking for your opinions on the issue.

~ The Fallen Sword Team

Give low level players item durability protection.  No durability loss from gvg hits until 1.They reach level 50.  2.They join in a gvg or 3.They opt into the pvp ladder.  Now they can't complain about repair costs(or their guild can't)  Now they won't have to  pay for repair costs, and even if there logs are full of gvg combat defeats, they lose no XP...

dangit, keep messing up the quote.

#56 WS3

WS3

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:11

I don't have much to say, but kudos to you guys for looking into this. Back in the day I wasn't familiar with GvG so I had always retaliated all attacks, including the GvG ones. To those ignorant of that aspect of the game could ruin the guild's chance of a successful retaliation.

#57 bigchaos

bigchaos

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Badge

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:25

I have been reading on this topic. I agree that guilds and their leadership should be mentoring on making sure new players have gear on and understanding how to play game with buffs and other helpful tools of game.  I do support giving protection until level 25 since I think there are guilds that do take advantage of new players coming into the game.  Though when I started there was no protection and I did participate in all aspects of the game at those levels.  I think if we do not have some kind of protection of lower player to level 25 may I suggest only players able to gvg the same level player to equal the playing field for 25 and under or 50 and under depending on structure. I think that the experience is needed to understand the world of fs for new players it is part of the game and good way for guilds to help their players.   I like to see more players stay in the game and that is why I am suggesting to support protection to a point or offer it as learning opportunity for players of same levels to go after each other.  I like the latter better so that a player can enjoy all aspects of the game. I hope the newer players will take the time read this thread and offer their input on this topic.  I know if I was not able to participate in gvging and all the aspects of pvping and bounty board I may not have stayed playing.  So I would not like the other side of this to happen and I want to see us get back when I started having a 1000+ online players again.  :D

#58 wgleztieb

wgleztieb

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:08

i have 2 ideas concerning low level players and PvP and GvG/s

1st. have a quest for low level players to PvP against a set number of players... that will introduce them to PvP.

2nd--- as for the GvG Farming, have Guild "X" start a GvG against Guild "Y" and then Guild Y opting to accept the GvG or not..
kind of like having Guild "X" enter a MMA arena, and then waiting to see if Guild "Y" steps in to fight or not.

it would make for a tougher fight. instead me logging on and finding out you got suckerpunched, you may have a fighting chance.

just my $.02

#59 bigchaos

bigchaos

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Badge

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:16

I like the idea of a quest or tutorial on gvging, pvping and bounty board.  This will be a good learning tool to understand how to do these areas of the game. Thank you for your post wgleztieb:D

#60 Windbattle

Windbattle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Badge

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:21

I like this thread .. but its a little late in my opinion. Why didn't this come up years ago, aka when RP epics came out?

You really have 2 types of people in 1-50 range, those who are just starting out and those who specialize in gvg / pvp in those ranges.  If you negate some of the 1-50 or even 1-100 level brackets for gvging, then your going to have some upset people that just lost their way to make FSP. On the other hand, new players will have a chance to adjust to gvg / pvp a bit better.

The question is not how to protect new players from being farmed in GvG ... but rather are new players worth upsetting the status quo of gvg in its current state?  Some people probably don't have any issue with farming new players for RP. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: