Photo

PVP by people deleveled dozens of levels...

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 TheD0n

TheD0n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:42

Question. Why is someone able to continue to pvp me when they got groundpounded down dozens of levels? What's the point in people deleveling someone if they can still smack you when you go offline and are dozens of levels below you? This VL thing? The level of the person is drastically below me, then why even bother with pvp ranges? Confusing the mechanics of this game.

#2 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:35

Not really. A person deleveled a lot can no longer fit in their VL gear in many cases. They get less gold as they are actually underleveling to get back up. Granted, most hardcore PvPers don't care about all this, but that's the concept of peeling levels. And the VL are really there to keep us from ground pounding somebody much weaker than ourselves.

If you still have a problem with a certain player, take precautions. Spend a couple of dots for PvP protection, secure your gold, invest in a proper offline kit. Buy deflect and erosion from the buff market before logging out, both are long lasting and relatively cheap. Level out of that VL range. It's just that simple.

Just one old lady's opinion

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

Have you hugged your Quango lately?

#3 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 19:04

Level out of that VL range.

I judge this to be the cheapest and best advice for you based on your comment. You might consider combining it with the PvP Protection BP mentions. 

Beyond that, I would humbly suggest that you think about why you are on their 100 stam an hour radar. 

The reasons for this type of game-accepted PvP are varied, so I can't possibly go through the list.

In order to avoid the rule about unwanted attention, talk to your guildies or allies for input. 

Unfortunately, HCS decided to make it impossible for your attacker to tell you why they are hitting you, so you will find little info there. An attacker simply can't reply to you without getting banned, even if they do wish for you to "correct your ways" in their eye. 

You might find some clues in their bio or in their Guild bio. Threats in bios, as long as it doesn't name specific players or Guilds, have long been accepted by HCS as long as they include only game mechanics. 

Prosperous smacking! (o0

#4 Calista

Calista

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 20:57

If someone is coming after you that regularly,  there are a few things to consider.  Let me say now for HCS's case I don't know who is hitting, why they are hitting, nor am I involved in said hitting, so please don't ban me for trying to help.

You hear horror stories about pvp all the time. Everybody has a friend of a friend who is 'bullied' and picked on for no reason. Usually until questions are asked, then the real reason comes out. 

1) Are you sending trash talking messages to the attacker? Are you posting fs boxes talking trash or looking for mercs to hit for you? Are you talking trash in the global chat? Using their stam to reply is usually the only thing left available to a pvp player in this kinda situation.

2) Did you have them dropped levels for a deflected hit, a lost hit, a 'clean' clear off the bounty board (10 stam clear), or did you post them for clearing you off the bb?

3)  Did you hit back and post a bounty on the player? I see you have prestige points so you did some hitting somewhere, which is why I ask. This is what we refer to as 'double dipping' and some will set alarms to come after you hourly for something like that.  Particularly if coupled with the 1st question. 

4) Who made the first hit?  If you hit first, they might be letting you know they are willing to play. Be careful what you ask for. 

I'd be surprised if the answer was no to all of the above. There is rarely a case where someone is attacked like this that wasn't at least made worst by the person being attacked. But there have been times it happens.  I'm curious to see if the op bothers answering the questions though. 

#5 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 11 October 2016 - 23:39

If someone is coming after you that regularly,  there are a few things to consider.  Let me say now for HCS's case I don't know who is hitting, why they are hitting, nor am I involved in said hitting, so please don't ban me for trying to help.

You hear horror stories about pvp all the time. Everybody has a friend of a friend who is 'bullied' and picked on for no reason. Usually until questions are asked, then the real reason comes out. 

1) Are you sending trash talking messages to the attacker? Are you posting fs boxes talking trash or looking for mercs to hit for you? Are you talking trash in the global chat? Using their stam to reply is usually the only thing left available to a pvp player in this kinda situation.

2) Did you have them dropped levels for a deflected hit, a lost hit, a 'clean' clear off the bounty board (10 stam clear), or did you post them for clearing you off the bb?

3)  Did you hit back and post a bounty on the player? I see you have prestige points so you did some hitting somewhere, which is why I ask. This is what we refer to as 'double dipping' and some will set alarms to come after you hourly for something like that.  Particularly if coupled with the 1st question. 

4) Who made the first hit?  If you hit first, they might be letting you know they are willing to play. Be careful what you ask for. 

I'd be surprised if the answer was no to all of the above. There is rarely a case where someone is attacked like this that wasn't at least made worst by the person being attacked. But there have been times it happens.  I'm curious to see if the op bothers answering the questions though.

Thanks Cali for doing all that typing... I was just too tired to think of this list, which is a valid one indeed.

Just one old lady's opinion

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

Have you hugged your Quango lately?

#6 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:35

You could hire a merc ;-p

#7 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,805 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:48

Unfortunately, HCS decided to make it impossible for your attacker to tell you why they are hitting you, so you will find little info there. An attacker simply can't reply to you without getting banned, even if they do wish for you to "correct your ways" in their eye.

Sorry but that's utter nonsense. You would get SUSPENDED (not banned) if you are reported for sending abusive messages but that means you need to try talking to the attacker like a civilised human being, without sending abuse.

~ Grim

#8 kuamor

kuamor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 15:15

Sorry but that's utter nonsense. You would get SUSPENDED (not banned) if you are reported for sending abusive messages but that means you need to try talking to the attacker like a civilised human being, without sending abuse.

~Grim

Is "I hit you because you annoyed me!" abusive?

Edited by BigGrim, 12 October 2016 - 17:30.
Language.

#9 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 17:20

~ Grim

BG. apologies, you are absolutely right... I will be suspended, not banned, for explaining in a civilized manner why I am attacking the player without being abusive.

*rolls eye*

And apologies out the FS Forum community for my response to an off-topic comment also being off-topic. 

Anyway, hopefully the OP got some useful info and the community is now clear why they cannot possibly explain reasons for hitting and won't be drawn into a explanation that will get them "suspended".  

EDIT: to give some credence to BG, I was NOT banned, I was only suspended.

Edited by BigGrim, 12 October 2016 - 17:30.

#10 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,805 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 October 2016 - 17:26

Is "I hit you because you annoyed me!" abusive?

Yes, because what you originally posted was abusive. You were swearing at someone. That is not acceptable behaviour.

BG. apologies, you are absolutely right... I will be suspended, not banned, for explaining in a civilized manner why I am attacking the player without being abusive.

If you were suspended, it was due to being abusive. The message here is DON'T be abusive.

#11 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 17:45

If you were suspended, it was due to being abusive. The message here is DON'T be abusive.

Of course, and I attempt to not be. This was not my case, but, if I send a pm to a player saying that I am 100 stam hitting them on the hour because their guild is taking a particular HCS-owned relic... is that abusive? 

I think not. 

If I tell a player that I have decided to 100 stam them on the hour because they bountied me for a 10 stam hit, is that abusive? 

I think not.

None of the above cases are things that have "affected" me personally. 

However, I can do any of the above and believe I can't talk about it. I "believe" PvPers feel the same based on history. 

Some guidelines would definitely be cool. 

I get it's complicated. But, if I hit a person for X amount of gold and they bounty me, it doesn't seem abusive to me for me to hit them with 100 stams 24-7 if they bounty me. I think they should learn 1) not to bounty me and 2) (less chuckling) how to get away from me or "protect themselves". ç

EDIT... had to change A and B above to 1) and 2) cuz programming on the B switched it to this freak two-eyed emoji.

Edited by Egami, 12 October 2016 - 18:05.

#12 sweetlou

sweetlou

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 17:55

The message here is DON'T be abusive.

Better than that, let your actions speak for themselves and DO NOT send messages as previously stated. Just have fun the way the game has been made to play, period!

[Signature removed]

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” -GRRM

#13 sweetlou

sweetlou

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 17:59

Of course, and I attempt to not be. This was not my case, but, if I send a pm to a player saying that I am 100 stam hitting them on the hour because their guild is taking a particular HCS-owned relic... is that abusive? 

I think not. 

If I tell a player that I have decided to 100 stam them on the hour because they bountied me for a 10 stam hit, is that abusive? 

I think not.

None of the above cases are things that have "affected" me personally. 

However, I can do any of the above and believe I can't talk about it. I "believe" PvPers feel the same based on history. 

Some guidelines would definitely be cool. 

I get it's complicated. But, if I hit a person for X amount of gold and they bounty me, it doesn't seem abusive to me for me to hit them with 100 stams 24-7 if they bounty me. I think they should learn A) not to bounty me and B) (less chuckling) how to get away from me or "protect themselves". 

You don't need a reason to play the game. Certainly do not risk an unfavorable, misinterpreting arbitrator suspending your game play for a message! What good does sending a message do? The Ignore button is a beautiful game tool!

[Signature removed]

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” -GRRM

#14 Calista

Calista

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 18:21

Simply asking for an apology related to the issue to why someone is hitting is considered a 'demand', which leads to the attacker being 'suspended' and any further hitting being threatened with a suspension too.  You can't tell the person what they did to make you hit them. You can't tell them what to do to make it stop. You can't even say you are hitting them because they upset you, without being threatened with a suspension.  Grim is right, there is nothing in writing that says an attacker can't speak to or communicate with who they are attacking. But repeated consequences of doing so has taught the pvp players that radio silence is the only way to move forward.

It has been this way for years. Denying it is kinda silly.

#15 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 19:01

I think we're "kind of" getting off topic and I will openly state that it might well be my fault. *one-eye blushes*

@Cali and luis... thanks for the posts. I hope they do help the OP. I think your posts are some good info and hopefully the OP will come back to read and ask if they have any doubts. 

Prosperous smacking everybody! (o0

#16 sweetlou

sweetlou

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 21:00

It has been this way for years. Denying it is kinda silly.

It has become a matter of survival, after fighting the arbitrary rules.

I hope they do help the OP. I think your posts are some good info and hopefully the OP will come back to read and ask if they have any doubts.

I post to reveal information to other players, like always. These posts arise from time to time, and on either side of the issue, but the response is always the same: speak with game play(stam) or likely suffer a game vacation.

[Signature removed]

#17 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2016 - 22:05

Question. Why is someone able to continue to pvp me when they got groundpounded down dozens of levels? What's the point in people deleveling someone if they can still smack you when you go offline and are dozens of levels below you? This VL thing? The level of the person is drastically below me, then why even bother with pvp ranges? Confusing the mechanics of this game.

I've often pointed out that the VL 'system' is flawed and ultimately pointless.

All it serves to do is to enable the person who has been delevelled to carry on hitting the person who attempted to drive their attacker out of range.

The 'problem' is only exasperated by the fact that power creep has meant that being forced into lower levelled gear really doesn't matter any more. (Not that attacking someone offline has ever really posed much of a challenge in this game)

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

#18 Calista

Calista

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 00:08

(This editing thing is what happens when you post before you think after quickly looking at the last topic you posted in. You've all done it at least once too. =P  )  

The vl system is flawed and pointless. I have to agree. But the point of it has something to do with the ability to cast buffs, if I remember correctly. It does serve the purpose to letting someone who has been dropped levels to continue to hit. But the person being hit has only to level up out of their range while continuing to drop the attacker. For alot of players, a regular hunt isn't 50+ levels at a time, so it gets harder to catch up. Especially when spending stam hitting a sitting target.

Edited by Calista, 13 October 2016 - 00:19.

#19 TheD0n

TheD0n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:12

I've never spoken to them before. Ever.  I've been simply posting them. Leaving it at that. They keep doing it every day or so still. I'm out of their range now anyhow, just was a pain clawing through it for 20 levels. I protected my gold buying potions for my next hunts and doing the potion creation composing thing to eat up the rest. I was just confused how people dozens of levels below me can still PvP me, thanks for the explanation on the "Virtual Level" thing. Very strange system compared to most MMOs I play and have played in the past.

Edited by TheD0n, 13 October 2016 - 07:14.

#20 Morgwyn

Morgwyn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:36

So, let me get this straight. According to some players above, if I attack a player and he asks me why, and I tell him I liked your gold, then I will get suspended?

I am sorry, I do not believe that. Something more must have happened then.

I cannot imagine anybody being suspended for stating (in normal unabusive language) why they have attacked somebody when the target asks for a reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: