6 replies to this topic

#1 PointyHair

PointyHair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 20:46

Hey all

I just wanted to do some release notes for this build. I know several of you are waiting on enhancements and I've been pretty quiet recently. I wanted to get this enhancement out the door. It's been quite a mission to get done and the code has been getting in the way of other stuff.

So, the Guild Activity Tracker itself. You'll find a new preference on your Guild Manage page near the top. After you enable it you'll have to navigate to any page to make it start collecting data. It works in the background so you may notice an additional network request. I've tried very hard to keep the processing to an absolute minimum. There is a "Show" button, again on the Guild Manage page, that brings up the dialog that shows the data.

As you may have noticed I am trying to get FSH functionality to be a bit more interactive, using modal dialogs wherever possible to avoid unnecessary page refreshes. There is still a little bit of work to do on this but I think it is coming along nicely.

So, the why. Why did I build this? Well it's mainly for guild leadership. In this day and age of massive stam banks the 7 days in the Guild Advisor are wholly inadequate. There used to be a website that tracked this stuff, I don't know what happened to it. Doing it as a website would have been a significant challenge and the ongoing maintenance burden would have been a total PITA. So now everyone has the capability in FSH. It doesn't replace the Advisor, it is mainly focused on activity, stamina and GXP. The idea is that over time it will build a better picture of your members' activity. I had been copying and pasting the data from the Guild Manage screen for a long time before this.

So, the tech. As you know this is the most interesting part for me and the main reason I do it. The background data collection is using the new App API. This makes it more efficient on the client so hopefully you won't notice the hit. Given the idea of long term data collection on the client I have tried to reduce the amount of data collected where possible using data warehousing techniques (my day job). There is still a little bit of tweaking to do here, very active players have 1 record per day at the moment which is more than you really need. I've been learning a lot about CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) in recent months. The last few enhancements have been utilising that heavily. The Composed Potions Inventory, reworked Quick Wear and now this. Historically FSH has used the jQuery UI libraries that are already part of the game. There are problems with this. The version the game uses is very old, primarily to support a wide range of very old browsers. The code is highly inefficient. As FSH is only targeted at the most modern browsers I can use modern techniques to provide a more efficient and responsive experience. The Guild Tracker dialog is still styled to look like any other dialog in game however the underlying technology is completely different. It is totally based on CSS and has no javascript running whatsoever. Not only does this make the effect more efficient in your browser but it also makes it easier to maintain for me. I am anticipating rolling it out to other areas of FSH in future. You may or may not notice a new spinner effect when you open the panels. More likely to see it when you have collected a decent amount of data. I got it at about a month and a half. This is also completely CSS based. The beauty of that is that it runs independent of javascript and is offloaded to your GPU.

Anyway, hope you like it. And yes, I forgot to do the mouse pointers on the tabs. Next release ;)

#2 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,477 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 20:55

Awesome! i can see myself using this

#3 Ryebred

Ryebred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 21:41

Is there a place to ask if features can be added to FS helper?  If I can in here, would love to see helper option to color chests or make them stand out more boldly. 

#4 Filletminion

Filletminion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:00

Fyi helper works in Firefox 57 with tampermonkey

Edited by zizzwyly, 04 November 2017 - 06:00.

#5 sweetlou

sweetlou

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:03

I get more excited from these updates than I do from anything HCS has released in a very long time. Thank you for your work to the players who are sticking around.

[Signature removed]

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” -GRRM

#6 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 17:42

Thanks again Pointy. 

Hope HCS gets off their rocker and starts using the coding you've done on personal time to make the game better for everyone, whether they know about, or use FSH. 

If you ever change your mind about wanting to get paid for your work by HCS, pm me in game. 

Until then, I'm sure they appreciate your slave labor... I know the FS Community does. 

Many thanks,

Egami

#7 PointyHair

PointyHair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:45

Is there a place to ask if features can be added to FS helper?  If I can in here, would love to see helper option to color chests or make them stand out more boldly. 

Please post issues, bugs and suggestions here https://github.com/f...rdhelper/issues

If you can do some mock-ups of what you think it should look like it would really help.

Fyi helper works in Firefox 57 with tampermonkey

Yeah this is a big deal. For those of you on mobile you may have noticed that UC Browser stopped supporting Tampermonkey. AFAIK the only mobile browser supporting Tampermonkey is Firefox for Android Beta v57.0.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: