Photo

Camera lowering and other technical issues

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#1 cowboy

cowboy

Lead Programmer

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:44

Hey guys,

We have many technical things on our list we want to try to get sorted. For me guilds is the next feature before a host of things to sort out, some taking longer than others (WASD movement, hardware rendering, auction house, mail system, player/guild housing, pets). Yes there's a lot there, but we want to do them all, why not :) Anyway a lot of people are constantly asking or talking about those features everywhere so below is where we stand on the issues officially:

Camera: I just tried letting the camera go right the way down to 0 degrees and well, it looks amazing :) You have to realise the 3d is a software renderer (see next section) and will get slower easier the more polygons, but I think it should just be left up to you guys to decide. For most I think it will be fine even when it drops < 20 FPS. I think the viewing freedom far out-ways the slowness if you decide to lower the camera. I think a lot will find they don't notice the FPS change. One thing to add with doing this is, you'll see a black clipping plane so you can't see for miles away, and also the camera will still flip up when passing tall buildings, which might get annoying so I await the complaints about that lol but still its soooooo much nicer, the world feels a lot bigger. So, next weeks build I think we are gonna let the camera come down fully, and above is things to be warned about so its not perfect, but its in your hands to choose to lower it, which having seen it, I'd want to choose.

Hardware Rendering: the Eldevin 3d engine was written in pure java software almost 10 years ago, with a long view of making what was to become Eldevin in the future as we built all the tech, we are a v. small indie team for making this type of game, but gotta dream right :). It was really the first thing developed as the main block to making a 3d browser game at the time. Since then you can now get hardware rendering in the browser, but we never in all this time found time to update it and it would be a good few months of solid work at least I feel (maybe less), but we do want to do it and in the new year may dedicate time to it properly.

Guilds: I'm doing this next as a priority, it maybe version 1 of guilds but the fundamentals should be there. I see this as really important to the community and togetherness of everyone, and well, its just cool isn't it. The guilds will work across all servers also which adds complexity to making them but is ok. I also want to do customizable guild logo's which show on certain gear which is just really cool too, among other features.

Auction House: Its still up in the air, we're likely leaning towards having one but its really not been fully discussed to an extent as we have other priorities right now, so I'll leave it at that.

Mail System: Similar to the AC I suppose, but a lot easier to implement. I've sort of got it half done already but its lower on the major feature list right now.

WASD Movement: I was quite against it from a technical side but after some thoughts, its a priority and I think we'll give it a go soon after xmas/new year. It may be tricky to get it right technically, and we'd maintain click + move option of course, but we need to see if we can make it work nicely with what we have. We lose some players who just won't even play without it and it would feel nice and be a good option to have, if we can get to work nicely.

Player/Guild Housing: A while off but it will come. Technically our system is very much catered to support this with dynamic instancing capabilities being so flexible, so just time and other things take priority right now, but it will give great value to gatherers/crafters I'd expect when it comes.

Pets: Long way off, we have vanity pets and will continue to, but it'd be nice to have pets you feed and train and grow, etc. It'd be great to get an 'egg' to nurture for a while and wait to see what comes out randomly, and then get to level it. Possible capabilities for pets once grown, well, loot grabbers, carriers to / from stash/vault (taking time to send/receive), pet battles, trade pets :/, instances that support you and pet attacking mobs together, mounts, and even crazier you actually playing as your pet. Yes don't quote too much of this :) But yeah, have to have mounts one day for sure :)

So I hope this gives you some insight into the technical side and our current position on those major features.

Glenn Murphy (cowboy)
Eldevin Lead Programmer

#2 Orlac

Orlac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:59

Oh me oh my I'm as excited as a giddy little school girl at a my little pony convention.

Orlac

Templar

Alchemist

Forager

Sexy

#3 ZooksterGaming

ZooksterGaming

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:04

Simply awesome :)

91ig7l.png

| Zook (45) Prophet | Arumat (45) Warrior | Samoorai (45) Templar |

| Crystal Cutting - 45 | Farming - 40 | Fishing - 23 | Foraging - 45 | Forestry - 45 | Prospecting - 45 | Skinning - 45 |

| Alchemy - 45 | Armorsmithing - 45 | Cooking - 45 | Jewelry - 45 | Leatherworking - 45 | Tailoring - 45 | Weaponsmithing - 40 |

#4 ZooksterGaming

ZooksterGaming

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:04

Sorry about that :rolleyes:

Edited by Zook, 07 December 2013 - 04:04.

91ig7l.png

| Zook (45) Prophet | Arumat (45) Warrior | Samoorai (45) Templar |

| Crystal Cutting - 45 | Farming - 40 | Fishing - 23 | Foraging - 45 | Forestry - 45 | Prospecting - 45 | Skinning - 45 |

| Alchemy - 45 | Armorsmithing - 45 | Cooking - 45 | Jewelry - 45 | Leatherworking - 45 | Tailoring - 45 | Weaponsmithing - 40 |

#5 Telivar

Telivar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:06

Oh me oh my I'm as excited as a giddy little school girl at a my little pony convention.

hopefully real ponies...all of this sounds cool.

www.soundcloud.com/marrow-machines

^electronic music page^

My mixtape is fire fam.

#6 Medi3vil

Medi3vil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:10

:wub:

#7 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

This almost all sounds pretty incredible.  The only sad news is the auction house.

I enjoy crafting.  The problems with crafting XP didn't put me off.  The fact that I could get a higher return running instances didn't put me off.  But I don't enjoy hawking, and would like some other method for selling what I create.  This might put me off crafting.

Any chance of getting even a simplified marketplace moved up in priority?

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#8 Medi3vil

Medi3vil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Badge

:wub:

#9 Crofil

Crofil

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:28

Wow it all sounds amazing,

i love the idea of customizable guild logo i was think hmm if they have guilds i wonder if we could customize a logo that would be implemented on gear Brilliant..

keep up the awesome Folks 

Crofil - 49  O=(`-`Q)

l0rdka0s - 49 Tank

Ridcully - 49 healer

Liforc - 49 Ranger

Nihilus - 49 Warsin

+ others

#10 HuMoR

HuMoR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:33

thanks for the info cowboy :)

Characters:
Guthix:
Level 40 Mage.
Chelsea's Man<3

#11 Oops

Oops

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:35

sounds good to me for the most part can't wait to see if I like it all when it comes out lol usually how it works for me see it and love it keep up the great work love this game

#12 Lucid

Lucid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:36

well this is some awesome to content for all of us to look forward to and i hope it help the eldevin community thrive like it deserves to after all the devs hard work

i read it on another topic but ill say it again...
HCS best devs ever, always interacting with the community and with such eagerness to make us happy  :D

#13 ernzor

ernzor

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:33

I like the camera angle the way it is now. I constantly lower it all the way it can go. Can we have an option to not allow it past a certain point (text input of angle in settings).

Naked pirate will be back!

When lvl 50 is here

#14 cowboy

cowboy

Lead Programmer

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:42

Yeah it can come with an option :)

Glenn Murphy (cowboy)
Eldevin Lead Programmer

#15 Zshmaendal

Zshmaendal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:13

Really glad to see your passion for improving the game. And guess what - all your priorities are the things I most want! :D Lucky me, eh? 

Nice work guys.

Guild Founder of The Golden Horde

Zshmaendal - Level 45 Prophet | Superfluous - Level 35 Warrior | Ulysses - Level 13 Ranger

Louis - Level 8 Warrior | Ephemeral - Level 12 Assassin | Connotation - Level 8 Mage

Crystal Cutting - 9 | Fishing - 10 | Forestry - 10 | Skinning - 8 | Farming - 19 | Foraging - 28 | Prospecting - 16

Alchemy - 36 | Cooking - 11 | Leatherworking - 4 | Weaponsmithing - 5 | Armorsmithing - 7 | Jewelry - 6 | Tailoring - 16

#16 gui

gui

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:47

This is excellent news, the one I'm most excited for is the Hardware Render. 

I'm glad you said you'll do it earlier next year. It's always better sooner than later.

#17 Neofito

Neofito

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 December 2013 - 16:57

Great news!!! :)

I still have an eye on Eldevin, and for sure will try the new camera system.

In life the things aren't white or black, the certain is that they are composed of a beautiful variety of grey tones.

#18 cfurlin

cfurlin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 December 2013 - 19:40

I like the camera angle the way it is now. I constantly lower it all the way it can go. Can we have an option to not allow it past a certain point (text input of angle in settings).

+1000 to this.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that those who want lower angle settings should not start with the usual MMO-player whine about how unfair it is later. After all, those of us with higher camera angles will be able to see you coming around the corner. Just saying'...

Edited by grimgryphon, 07 December 2013 - 19:44.

#19 Clearwaters

Clearwaters

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 December 2013 - 22:35

Makes being a player and supporter even more rewarding. I am so happy to see this post!

eldevsig1_zps30dfbe58.png

#20 Synapse

Synapse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 December 2013 - 23:38

All sounds great though Auction House and WASD movement should be evaluated further, glad that you guys are taking time on those two decisions as they could fundamentally change the game more than anticipated and possibly make a negative impact.

Personally i'm enjoying the current way people are trading as the chat is lively and people are interacting, otherwise everything else sounds fantastic and you guys I think got alot of understanding on what makes a good core game.

Happier than ever that I supported.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: