Lack of new players and players leaving. WHY?

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 ss_sailor

ss_sailor
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2009 - 23:34

I would like to explore why players quit. To be more specific, I would like to understand at what levels other factions see a drop out of players that were active. I would also be interested to see what percent of new players join and become inactive compared to new players that make it to at least Level 30 before they become inactive. This discussion should also be open to debate why SSII is seeing a reduction (if there is a reduction) of new players joining.

When the game was new the number of online players were pretty impressive for a new game. I have notice that the number of online players is in a steady decline. What is the root cause of the loss of players, what can be done by the active players to stop the exit of players?

Our faction will accept Level 1 players and as of late it seems to be a slugfest to find new players to recruit. I have not kept accurate records of the percentage that stay with the game however I would be confident to say that for every 25 new recruits of Level 1-5 players that we recruit we will have 1 player that will remain active and become an active player.

I seem to notice that the active players that have gone inactive occur around the mid Level 80 area. I have also noticed that we have a drop out around Level 100.

I have heard from players that say they got tired of repairing all the time or that it takes to long to level with clicking the mouse. Yes I have tried to get them to install the SSII helper. I have yet to hear anyone say anything against the story line or the content of the game. We do not lose anyone from lack of gear as we have always been well stocked.

I am concerned about this game. I think it is a great game and I truly enjoy it. I do not want to see it fail. Has anyone taken the time to look at the top 250 factions? I mean really look at them. If you do, I am sure that you would agree that the factions are stuffed full of inactive players and inactive factions.

Something is driving the players away and something is keeping new players from joining or they join and are gone in a matter of weeks if not days. I would hope that this thread will be helpful to identify why.

#2 acidic

acidic

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 28 July 2009 - 00:40

Vanishing players?

Well, as Zaelin has said many times "anything can happen in sci-fi"

#3 ss_conquerer7

ss_conquerer7
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 00:52

I don't really know first hand, but here's my perception:

In any free game, a good 80-90% of new players quite almost immediately after signing up. That's a given, and it's probably even worse on RPG games since they tend to require more effort before they get good. Second, SS2 can be confusing: the reason so many players from Gothador and FallenSword stayed was because I suspect they were more used to how SS2 works. FS players have already been trained to go around a map killing monsters, and the only changes necessary for them were learning about repairing and using a few new words. For those uninitiated, SS2 doesn't look like any other RPG. Monsters typically drop no loot, there are no cities (save for Taulin City), just an endless dungeon that is ridiculously linear. SS2 does not have any sound either, nor any minigames. Every level is nearly 100% grinding, against one monster, in one area. Newer players might just stick around for a few levels to see if the game gets any better, and then leave when they realize that the next 100+ levels are all nearly the exact same thing. Maybe this will change in the future when SS2 gets more 'fleshed out' like FallenSword is.

Speaking of that, the fact that newbies are already 140 levels behind the moment they sign up might be discouraging. I remember being motivated to play in order to catch up with content, but it took me several weeks just to catch up 20 levels. Starting 140 levels behind in comparison is a much more difficult obstacle to overcome. Why should they stay? As far as they know, it's just more radioactive desert.

Looking back on the first non-tutorial levels, I remember that they were extremely difficult. Leveling was slow and tedious, and death was constant, even with two fully engineered items. Without a faction, there is no chance for a new player to get any FC at all since the crystal market has inflated significantly since the start of the game.

Look at this topic. Some incoming players don't get why an energy system even exists. On one hand, if they do feel like doing some grinding, they can't for any period of time. On the other, if they just want to take a break they can't since then they'll be wasting energy. (this is also the reason for the 'content crisis' that occurs every few weeks where players feel they absolutely have to spend their energy but have nothing they want spend it on)

Look at this topic. It seems if you're a player you either want to weaken the repair system or do away with it entirely. It also adds to the boredom.

Last but not least, SS2 advertises very little. I really suggest HCS starts advertising as the FS/Gothador player base is gone and the enlisting system isn't working too well. In the end, only maybe 5% of people will really be interested in any game, so SS2 needs as many people as it can get. Get rid of the inflow of new players, and there's only one direction players can go- out.

People stop playing when the resources they spend (time and maybe money) outweigh what they gain (fun). So I figure the better question is, with an endless grind and little of the fun things in conventional RPGs, what does keep people playing? The drive to be the best among an ever dwindling amount of people? The plot? The graphics? The drive to explore a game's world?

Hmm.

#4 ss_kylereese

ss_kylereese
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:45

I think it has to do with % gained vs energy spent after level 80+. If rpg players don't feel like they're progressing they will stagnate. Much like real life, people need to feel like they're getting somewhere. If they have to do multiple hunts in order to gain one level and feel that progression then they may opt to do no hunts at all. The inflation of the price of a crystal doesn't help either. When you advertise a free to play mmorpg, chances are you're going to get a lot of people who want to play it that way. As F2P gamers aren't likely to have the same leveling advantage as those who donate, they will probably start feeling the grind sooner than everyone else. At my level, I get around 100% when I burn my 2300 energy and I only need to hunt every 2 days. That same 100% could take 3 to 4 hunts for someone who hasn't upgraded their max energy very much. To me, that seems like an awful lot of logging in and out(and rebuffing) in order to progress.

Obviously the problem with all of this is, that's the game(for better or worse). There aren't a lot of levels yet, and the levels we have near the top take quite a bit of energy to get through. A possible solution would be to add more non-mandatory quests with no skill point or xp reward(just item and/or credits). This way a player who isn't leveling very efficiently can still feel like they're getting something done. Of course, this won't likely happen as we would need to apply it to many areas the cows would probably rather not revisit just yet. Another possible solution would be to add one of the many ideas the community has already come up with for a mini-game. If we can find a way for every player to get something out of the game every time they put in 30 to 60 minutes of their life, they might feel like investing that same amount of time in the future won't be such a gamble. Give an rpg'er a feeling of accomplishment, and chances are they will come back to feel it again.

#5 centurion

centurion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:55

every game out in the internet world requires fee if they want to at least be competitive. at least here, you can do fairly well without donation. (free fe'd gear from faction, cheap buffs so every CR you make can go toward max energy/character)

I do think this game tend to be attractive to older player rather than younger. I think it is just the nature of the game. and like it or not, younger ones seems to have less patients and have much more need for instant gratification. just the culture we live in. and this game do reward consistent steady play.

#6 ss_sailor

ss_sailor
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:00

One of my top players is 14 years old. He has never donated and has upgraded his energy the hard way. Rewards and converting credits to FC. I think he is the exception to the rule as I find that as the faction matures it is the older 25 year + players that stick it out.

#7 ss_bagavond

ss_bagavond
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:22

Overall the departure of players is troubling.. It cant be for lack of challenge because when we do get content it is challenging and makes you think. Or is it that most of us dont want to think. we just want to mindlessly kill, repair, kill again.. I would think we all seek more than that but i might be wrong.

Is it the fact that we see so many others leaving that we say "time to bail" or does that just make us remaining more determined to stick it out.

I do not profess to have the answers but i can readily submit to you that more excitement and variety needs to be present. More things to divert my attention, especially at end of content. I know it takes time to develop a game.. Lots of time, effort and patience.

Great thread.. goes well with poll about attracting players.

#8 MattyCee

MattyCee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:16

People are leaving because it's boring, nothing changes, it's just dull. How do I tell people in my faction at lower levels that the game's going to get better, when it's all just the same? If I'm honest I'd say don't bother, quit now, certainly don't give money to HCS.

#9 ss_loudog

ss_loudog
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:29

People are leaving because it's boring, nothing changes, it's just dull. How do I tell people in my faction at lower levels that the game's going to get better, when it's all just the same? If I'm honest I'd say don't bother, quit now, certainly don't give money to HCS.

Sorry to put more rain on the negative parade but I don't think it gets more direct then that. MattyCee has made 1 post that I see. I hope HCS is listening lol

#10 Zaelin

Zaelin

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:54

Players are free to join the game and have a look and see if they like it before they invest any of their money into their character. They can play the whole game without buying Flux Crystals if they wish to do so. So I would urge anyone to make their own mind up before deciding what to do with their own character.

I know we frown upon it but I am going to talk about "that other game". Sword will be knocking on to nearly 800 levels of content all in the same quest format as Sigma, you accept a quest, you do something, you come back and finish it. When making Sigma we tried to learn what we had discovered in Sword and put in a tutorial missions at the start (complete with screenshots) to help new players navigate through the start of the game, anything else they needed to know can be accessed by the Forums or through asking Faction mates. Sigma does not really have a "Fallen Sword Guide" style website, do you believe this is a Factor?

We have also tried to keep the players moving in a logical geographical storyline, we haven't heard any complaints about the missions themselves (apart from 83 :P) and a lot of people do love how story and mission driven Sigma is, there have only been a few comments on "linear" gameplay.

Sword does have other things to do besides leveling, players can sit and do the arena for a couple of days or do some bounties to break things up a bit. At the moment Sigma just have leveling, we plan to change this but we want something awesome and new and that takes time. However if there is something wrong with just the leveling (players talking about a level 80+ drop off) then we would like to know what you think about this. Maybe there isn't anything wrong and it is just that there is nothing else to break it up at the moment?

I don't think the blueprints are a problem. Players got a bit angry on the unwise path because there were no blueprints, there was also a thread where I asked players if taking out the mechanic is what they really wanted and they said "no", they like both these aspects because it is what makes Sigma interesting and it's not the same without it. I think a lot of the players like the health bar not replenishing as well. We do hear nothing but good things about the art and the story, it makes us proud. We believe we have a good foundation to build newer things onto.

We don't want to radically change the game and alienate our loyal player base just to encourage new players to stay, but if something is popping up consistently for reasons why players are going inactive then of course we wish to hear this and any solutions that you feel will help. I just ask that you keep the feedback constructive, getting flustered and being disrespectful will not help anyone.

#11 bengiz786

bengiz786

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:59

i think there should also be advertisement maybe to get more player in game...maybe advertise it using your other games such as fallen sword... you guys could put have a go or something on the front page of other games saying join sigmatorm.

#12 ss_bleltch

ss_bleltch
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:38

I dont think the lack of new players needs any attention until something can be brought into the game to hold them here. Once they're bored with things and quit playing they're not coming back from the players i've talked to. And from my experience a lot of em are getting bored long before level 80. HCS seems to run around with a blind eye to what the players are saying is the biggest problem I see. It's the same thing every time: We point out a problem, they deny there is a problem, we point it out again, they deny it again, (sometimes they alienate some players in the process) we point it out again, they change it. It's the same thing with the players quitting. It's been brought up many times.

#13 ss_sailor

ss_sailor
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:49

From looking at the poll in the suggestion section I note that so far 86% of the players have come from “the other” game, which is not surprising at all.

In management, one must know the truth to be able to make the correct decision and not have subordinates tell you what you “want” to hear. For if one only hears what one wants to hear, management will have false knowledge and continue to make mistakes and eventually will fail.

The naked truth as seen from this players eyes.

1. I had and still have the sense that SSII is a knock off of “the other” game. It appears that the code was cut and pasted. We still find references in the code that refers to the other game.

2. Seeing that the game is a knock off really turned me off when I first started playing. The only thing different was not being able to PvP like in the other game. This, I did like as I am not a PvPer yet others are.

3. I no longer play the other game however I do check in to see how things are going. I remember seeing that a “Titan” was put into the game. What a coincidence that a Behemoth suddenly appeared in SSII.

4. Coming over to SSII from the other game proved to be sort of a shock, as I did not fully understand the concept of having to “repair” my gear on a mechanic. What a pain! My thought process was, the game is like the other one so why is HCS making me have to do this. I joined the 1st week of December and got to L8 and quit for a few days. “Why do I need to put myself thru this greif”.

5. Gee, I have to buy ammo and get health stims and run back to repair my gear, yet I am on a large number of critters. Oh the wasted energy I have to spend to get all the stuff I need only to return and they are gone. “I will never be able to level up”. Get the picture?

6. OK, I came back and started playing again. FC were 1,000 and when I got 1,000 saved up they were 2,000 and when I got the 2,000 they were 3,000 and on it went. “I will never be able to buy FC’s” I donated a ton to the other game and I don’t want to donate to SSII but I know if I don’t I will never be able to improve”. That was my thought process and I believe it still holds true for new players seeing that the price of FC’s is now 20,000 and over.

7. What! No map? I have to find my way around with no help? Bummer! At least now we have several maps that players have made and this is a huge help to the new players. The wiki is also a big help.

8. Me still in the early stages of the game talking to myself. “I am sick to death of having to click my mouse to kill then click my mouse to world to get back to click my mouse to kill and over and over and over. “I hate this game”. Where the heck are the numbers to use the keypad? Oh, wait! I see something in the forum that a plug in has been developed. Yes, it is just like the other games plug in. I am so happy! I can now use the number keys. Sure glad that I read the forums because I would have never known that this plug in was there. Wonder why the game developers would not have integrated this into the game. Wonder if they were ever told about it? Yes, I do see that they were told about it. Guess they will get around to it someday.

9. Still early in the game after having donated to build the faction and to improve my character. Why doesn’t HCS listen to the players and give us a doubler? How many times to we have to yell, kick and scream? I thought to myself many times “if I was not a founder and if I did not have others that count on me, I would bail from this game. HCS does not listen to us.” Wow! They did hear us! We have intensifier stims. How wonderful. Sure wish I could get all of the players I lost back in the game. So sad that they could not stick it out for a few more months to see the intensifier.

10. Wonder when content will come out? Oh, I remember! HCS told us that it would be around every 2 weeks. OK, that’s not too long to wait. Hey, anyone know when content is coming out? It’s been what 3 weeks? Let me see, I was wrong. It’s been 4 weeks. Guess they are having problems with Holidays, coding, artwork and such. You know they have to obey the law and take time off. Keeping players interested in the game is probably not that important anyway. Guess I will sublevel again.

11. Boy this subleveling is so much fun! Wonder if HCS will give us any information as to what is going on in the game? Oh well, I have several thousand energy to burn or it will go to waste. Got to get back to subleveling.

12. Gee, I wonder what is happening to all of the players. I wonder what happened to all the players that I had listed as friends? They are inactive.

13. Guess I better kick the inactive players from the faction and get new ones to train. Boy, where did all of the new players go? Used to have tons to choose from. Oh, I see a level one. I will send him an invitation. “This player is a member of another faction”. He was just there! OK have to hunt for another one.

This is not written with disrespect. It is written as the way as how I feel and as how I felt at the time. I am sure that I left many things out. Perhaps I will add to it, perhaps not. I sure hope things get straightened out and we can bring more players in and keep the ones that we have. I fear that most of the “other game” players that tried SSII have a sour taste in their mouths and will never return to the game. So the question is still. What does HCS plan to do to bring in new players?

Respectfully submitted.

#14 MamorukunBE

MamorukunBE

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:59

Sailor, you are -so- -true-! 8( HCS do its best to please the maximum number of players...but it definitively seems that it's not enough! Let's hope that they'll see your message and give us a "non predefined" answer regarding all those problems...

#15 bengiz786

bengiz786

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 13:12

Wow lol alot of people feel strongly about this...i never thought it was a huge problem until now. ...the main problem is there have been alot of retirements due to the game going "boring". alot of people who play fs..the problem here is these people see fallen sword progress 'way more' than sigmstorm and feel it is better if they put there resources in one game rather than 2.. i say fallen sword is reasonably stable and this game needs more attention for the upcoming months.For the 'TOP PLAYERS' ..maybe a hk or higher level behemoth worth hunting for the tops players...this is becuase lower level players they got content to play although it gets boring to do that everyday. (for them the farming is poor..its not worth for them to hunt elite or hk due to hardly any profit and it would also be cheaper for them to buy a set..this needs looking at how to improve elites for lower level players. Maybe medals.) as for people to retire when there player goes 'inactive'.... maybe you could send newsletter to there email which you guys have when they sign up..to let them know of any progress or anything new.....this may make engourage them come back to see the game again ;-)

#16 ss_loudog

ss_loudog
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 13:16

Sword does have other things to do besides leveling, players can sit and do the arena for a couple of days or do some bounties to break things up a bit. At the moment Sigma just have leveling, we plan to change this but we want something awesome and new and that takes time. However if there is something wrong with just the leveling (players talking about a level 80+ drop off) then we would like to know what you think about this. Maybe there isn't anything wrong and it is just that there is nothing else to break it up at the moment?

Yes, by having nothing to do essentially besides level, and there's a painfully slow release of them, there is a problem. There are Sword-like alternatives to play already like Behemoths, HKs and even elites. Yet those things don't provide many players any incentive to play them. The sooner this changes and/or new things get added the better! *staying hopeful* :) Unfortunately what I see as the real cause of most of the game's problems is a lack of personnel to design, code, and test in order to introduce any meaningful additions to Sigma.

We don't want to radically change the game and alienate our loyal player base just to encourage new players to stay, but if something is popping up consistently for reasons why players are going inactive then of course we wish to hear this and any solutions that you feel will help. I just ask that you keep the feedback constructive, getting flustered and being disrespectful will not help anyone.

I always try to conduct myself respectfully in all aspects of life lol.

*And still hopeful* :) :) :)

My two

#17 Zaelin

Zaelin

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 13:53

From looking at the poll in the suggestion section I note that so far 86% of the players have come from “the other” game, which is not surprising at all.

In management, one must know the truth to be able to make the correct decision and not have subordinates tell you what you “want” to hear. For if one only hears what one wants to hear, management will have false knowledge and continue to make mistakes and eventually will fail.

The naked truth as seen from this players eyes.

Firstly your post isn't very constructive. It is mostly just negative and doesn't help us at all.

1-5 - Sword is a format that works, we used most of the website design because we felt it didn't need any improvement. We wanted Sigma to be different to sword in gameplay though, we wanted to have a more traditional RPG feel to it with strategy and planning which is why we put in ammo and health packs.

6 is irrelevant because the Market is player controlled. It has been discussed in threads before.

Point 8 could have been a lot more positive and summarized that you believe players are being put off with the lack of keyboard shortcuts.

9 is irrelevant also, we are trying to look forward to find ways to improve the game for new players, not look backwards onto things we have already improved.

10, yes we do have to take time off. We are not mindless robots who work everyday without a break, we are human beings. Sigma has 4x the work that Sword does so it does take a lot of time. It is also still a new game with kinks that sometimes have to be ironed out (soldier and purist changes). Which also takes time.

Points 11-13 just doesn't help us. We are aware there are inactive players. The whole point in this thread was to identify why and ask for your opinions into how this can be changed.

Please summarize your points and help identify any issues from a general perspective. We can not sit here and read every players personal experience.

Sailor, you are -so- -true-! 8( HCS do its best to please the maximum number of players...but it definitively seems that it's not enough! Let's hope that they'll see your message and give us a "non predefined" answer regarding all those problems...

I don't think there is a solid "answer" this thread is intended as a discussion and my replies are not predefined thank you! I would like positive and constructive feedback in this thread, otherwise it will be on its way to being locked.

If you believe players are leaving at a certain level, state why and then suggest a way you believe will help. This is constructive feedback. Saying nothing but negative things does not help us solve any problems does it?

#18 ss_sailor

ss_sailor
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 14:00

I bite my tongue and give up. The more things change the more they stay them same.

#19 centurion

centurion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 14:01

80s is where some of the long mission and some 2 hitting is also needed(without careful setup with damage heavy guy). I can see them being tough and may cause people to get tired of levelling. I am willing to bet that FS loses fair amount at 185. (at least the guild I am on lost a few at 185th and beginning of 2 hitting) lot of non serious people may get discouraged at these type of challenge, but may be they really did not donate and don't care.

In SS2, the original faction I was in lost most of member to
1) tough missions. (original sharona mission lvl 27 was tough and people did get discouraged. I thrived on it, but not everyone is like me I guess.)
2) too much sublevelling(I can usually find way to make fc and keep my self busy, but others are not interested in that.
3) lack of key stroke/lack of intensifier.

For myself, SS2 is better game than FS by far even with the issues.

#20 ecolitan

ecolitan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 14:16

Two quick things. I see two main reasons people are leaving:

1) Time constraints and having to choose 1 of the 2 games. Since the vast majority of our players also play that other game, if they choose that one we lose them here.

2) Boredom waiting for content.

As for 1) I say don't worry about it. What can you do? SS2 may always be a smaller game than FS due to rougher and tougher mechanics and leveling. That's fine.

As for 2), I thought the Behemoth might fix it. Then... well, two things. First the award wasn't worth enough to keep people interested and even worse it spawns so often the value is further diminished. Not that high level players (those waiting for content have more extra energy) should make gigantic profits. But, our faction was very disappointed with our return on cornering the Behemoth. But, while it went on, we had a great use of our energy while waiting for content. But, with 5,000 sunstorm arcs in the game they aren't worth anything so people would rather HK or Elite hunt even at 1-2 FC per drop.

I know you keep saying you want something "great" for the energy use. But, waiting forever loses more players. I said from the start that a more valuable Behemoth drop (even if it took multiple drops to make) would use more energy as more people would go after it. Artifacts are needed. Something great? Sure. Something soon? Definitely.

Advertising matters too. I would expect a game like SS2 to have a high drop-out rate. It is even MORE important to have large flows into the game given this. If having rough and tough game (compared to FS) means a lower play through rate that's fine. But, the initial flow needs to be more than drips to handle this. Finally, the biggest thing within the control of HCS: We need content more than 1x per month. Every 2-3 weeks would be fine given how things are now. But averaging 4+ weeks makes people wait too long and stop "checking in" and eventually they quit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: