Photo

GvG and New Players.

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

Poll: GvG and New Players. (143 member(s) have cast votes)

Should new players be exempt from GvG as they are in PvP?

1. Yes. (117 votes [83.57%])

Percentage of vote: 83.57%

2. No. (23 votes [16.43%])

Percentage of vote: 16.43%

If yes, at what level should they be introduced?

1. 25 (42 votes [29.79%])

Percentage of vote: 29.79%

2. 50 (54 votes [38.30%])

Percentage of vote: 38.30%

3. 75+ (29 votes [20.57%])

Percentage of vote: 20.57%

4. N/A (Chose 'No' for question 1.) (16 votes [11.35%])

Percentage of vote: 11.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 DomCorvis

DomCorvis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Badge

Posted 29 May 2013 - 15:42

I say give em protection until level 50 BUT @ level 50 they are required to initiate and complete @ least 1 GvG before they are able to move to the level 51 world! There used to be quests that REQUIRED a certain PvP rating....which made you PvP. (introducing you to the world of PvP)

RealmOfTheDead_zps1e8fa1f1.png

#22 jdlaw

jdlaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Badge

Posted 29 May 2013 - 15:54

IF  GvG protection is added I think the players should be able to pick if they would like to use it or not.

#23 Mongo

Mongo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 29 May 2013 - 15:59

My suggestion would be no GvG participation until level 50. At level 50 you have the option to "opt in" to GvG, you can only engage in combat with others who have opted in... (would need to be something so opted in players, can be identified when looking at Guilds).

Then after level 75 every player becomes fair game in GvG, but... lvl 75 players can not hit players in the lvl 50-75 range unless the lower level players have opted in.

I hope that makes sense? sometimes I confuse myself  :P

Visit my shop! Mongo's Emporium for emotes, pets, vanity and more!

#24 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 16:00

Hoof, I'd really like to know....

Is the problem really new players complaining about GvG or is it about Guilds that are whining about their own inefficiency? Guess, I could probably leave the response off here... but will give some explanation.

For the record, we don't actually actively GvG. However, we do retaliate and part of that retaliation is protecting our new players with buffs and, more importantly, advice.

You have already decided to "protect" new players against PvP... I still notice tons of people hate it later on. I do get the idea of PR... but I just have a hard time believing lower level players lose interest in the game because they get farmed in GvG... Personally, I would recruit lower level players so more Guilds GvG us... cost free draws are nice (o0

The thing about GvG that is positive for low level players in my opinion are:

1. It teaches stats and combat rules... well... assuming they have responsible leaders. This will probably teach them quicker than the first 100+ levels of hunting anyway... "ho-hum" says the 6 year old FS player... the years in game terms of course, lol.

2. This also gives them some info about buffs and how they work that otherwise they will not learn until much later... What player uses any of the combat buffs on lower levels? Basic ingredients tend to be leveling such as AL, TH, Merch, Lib, blah, blah...

Conclusion: The above "free" knowledge is acquired through theoretically minimum cost. PvP will cost them more later... better to be prepared. Repairs add to durability education.

I could go on and on... but, why bother? I hope that taste is enough to express my opinion. I understand there are probably tons that don't share it... *shrugs*

#25 RebornJedi

RebornJedi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 16:06

Is the problem really new players complaining about GvG or is it about Guilds that are whining about their own inefficiency? 

how easy is it for a level 25 player, fully suited to beat a new player with mountain rags?? 

seems like its just an easy way for a GvG guild to farm RP at the expense of new players

#26 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,814 posts
  • Badge

Posted 29 May 2013 - 16:12

Heads up, forced to choose a level when I voted no.

Egads! Edited the poll.

I say give em protection until level 50 BUT @ level 50 they are required to initiate and complete @ least 1 GvG before they are able to move to the level 51 world! There used to be quests that REQUIRED a certain PvP rating....which made you PvP. (introducing you to the world of PvP)

Personally, I'd rather NOT force players to partake in something if it stops them progressing. That sounds like a good way to stop a game dead.

#27 berneanu

berneanu

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 16:14

first thing - if u vote NO at first topic u cant post ur result if u dont vote in second poll (which contradicts with ur first option imo :P) and this being said here is my 2 cents on the topic - honestly why people bother with this - in gvg the ones that got attacked dont lose gold/exp and the gold cost for repair is minimal at that lvl i doubt it will be more then 1k gold - also if they will be given the option to opt out like in pvp lader u might end up with some one starting a conflict thinking they have targets and they end up without any targets cause all have gvg protection (even if most of us hate RP farmers and i say most of us cause the RP farmers dont hate themselves :P u cant punish some one for wanting to stay at lvl 45 to gvg for fsp cause there are a lot of guilds that pay them for this and it is their way of earning a living) - oh and another thing - with the new epic quests and the huge amount of stamina they give the new players can reach lvl 100 in a few days - and i doubt that in this time they will be hit that much in gvg so they leave the game - in conclusion dont change gvg even more - it is already been changed twice in the past 2 years and every time i felt u broke something that was good in the first place (ohh apart from the rewards for getting a draw which i always felt was needed :P)

#28 Crzy

Crzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 303 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 29 May 2013 - 16:14

My suggestion would be no GvG participation until level 50. At level 50 you have the option to "opt in" to GvG, you can only engage in combat with others who have opted in... (would need to be something so opted in players, can be identified when looking at Guilds).

Then after level 75 every player becomes fair game in GvG, but... lvl 75 players can not hit players in the lvl 50-75 range unless the lower level players have opted in.

I hope that makes sense? sometimes I confuse myself  :P

+1, especially to the bold part.

qu29_zpsff77e35f.png

^^Sig by the awesome ArtistGorn!^^^

#29 thedoc70

thedoc70

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 29 May 2013 - 16:17

I know when i first started, which wasn't that long ago, if my Guild had a conflict initiated against it i would inevitably be attacked as a low level / weaker player. While the cost of repair wasn't overly expensive it did become a bit tedious to have to log in and repair lots of times. It didn't stop me from playing but it was definitely a negative experience.

I voted yes, a new player should be protected and i think level 50 is a reasonable point to have become used to the game / join a Guild / get some decent gear.

mll7dl.png

#30 Hibiki

Hibiki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 16:46

Came up with a bold idea. rewards based on the level of the particpates (IE lvl 50-100 earn 1 rp, 100-200 earn 2 rp).

Voted yes

#31 Grimwald

Grimwald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 17:12

Yeah, GvG protection would be nice. I still remember my first days after being in a guild, and ofcourse attacked in GvG. At some point I removed my gear being fed up with repairing it every time I had to log on. Guy responsible for GvG was angry, as I was an sitting duck, so he give me a big load of cash (well 5000 gold or so) and asked me to put the gear back on. Not much later, the reason for having gear on became obvious as the attacker missed and I killed him. Our GvG team happily stole the conflict :)

So, opt-out for GVG untill level 25 or 50 (doesn't matter which one).

#32 BabyMad

BabyMad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 17:22

Just like PvP Ladder option, make the GvG an option

Is gvg about prestige or just easy money?

Once you create/join a gvg you cant turn it off for 7 days (to avoid finding easy targets then turn off to protect. hit'n run)

I dont see why you should be rewarded for farminig people thats not into the same as you. PvP ladder give you reward because you want to achive them, GvG is just the way it is. To go large you could make a gvg ladder somehow.

Or instead of turn off the whole guild for gvg people could individuell enable/disable their join for gvg. Protect those who dont want to gvg and let the one who want to, enjoy the party

Then you get reward for your prestige and not just easy targets. Make it fair, not greedyness

Sorry for my gramma xD

If you are in the GvG to achieve prestige then you vote yes for this

If you are in GvG to achieve easy money, ofc you vote no.

Edited by BabyMad, 29 May 2013 - 17:24.

#33 Bruut

Bruut

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Badge

Posted 29 May 2013 - 18:02

GvG protection for the first 14 days, same as there already is for PvP, choosing to take part in a GvG within those 14 days looses the protection.

Visible on the profile page and linked to the Conflicts page of the guild where there might need to be a bit more information then just  "Important Notes", a bit more storyline kind of text explaining what it is, how it works how it affects your level/gold/gear.

I do think a big responsibility lies with the guilds themselves to inform new players about it.

I think making it level based is a bit tricky, i leveled to 60 in a day doing the epic quests, so where would you draw the line?

avimax_zps9d2c373f.jpg

#34 michael65

michael65

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 18:29

GvG does the following:

Good:
1. teaches players some elements of PvP combat (stat comparison and read a combat log)
2. encourages players to get better gear (which can help in leveling)
3. teaches the difference between hunting and PvP buffs, potions, and enhancements

Bad:
1. frightens some who sees ten or more attacks (and corresponding losses) recorded in the log
2. cost a fortune to repair at lower ranks (less stamina and less gold combines to make repairs costly - relatively speaking)
3. some do not understand why they can't GvG (sort of an art - hit the wrong Guild and you can pay)

So start GvG at level 50 is a great idea. Appropriate gear is available.
Opt-in to GvG at levels from 25-49 is another great idea. There are some PvPers ready to handle GvG.

Most of the ideas are rehash of previous posters, but makes sense to me. my 2 cents

#35 belgraith

belgraith

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:02

I know that my guild is getting constantly GVG'd almost weekly even though we are not active at all the only reason i am as guild co founder is to find some one to take over it so i can leave but so far i have not found anyone that i feel is capable of taking over the reins .... with that being said .... why cant we have a option to opt out of GVG's if the guild does not want to participate in it because they are small or not interested in GVG'ing

#36 watagashi

watagashi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:15

Mentioned this a few times and hope this time its noticed,,, 

Put something in the tutorial for when someone joins a guild explaining more than "it can help you"

I would suggest a quest similar to the nomad heads where you are taught about guilds and encouraged to join one then add the additional stuff being in a guild means there. Also not for a min level for gvg but 15 would be a ok place to teach this and then AFTER they have at least clicked the page they can do GvGs

Things like groups, structures, the bank, guild chat and yes gvg, if you explain it people will not take it as such a shock like they do now when logging on to a log of mutiple attacks and no idea how or why it happened.

Changing the level doesnt really make sense you have a +/- 25 range for that level area so you are saying now you can do it but cant go under 25? Not gonna help anyone learn how to do it and yes GvG is most players first taste of pvp, it needs to be explained including the mechanics of combat before you throw people into it.

Protection, opting into gvg ladder, a minimum level to start that will be constantly whined about and upped till nobody under 1500 can do them,,,,FS has already provided enough coffin nails in other areas just like this,,,,and already done enough to ruin GvG (looked around lately at how many targets are active >7 days nowdays?? Then go find a 2nd person to help because that stupid change was also demanded too) they really really reallly dont need to mess up GvGs too. (more than already),, and why is it that everything players have complained about then got changed never gets any use after the change?

I submit to you pvp ladder, something nitpicked into oblivion so you are lucky to see 3 players in a given band anymore. THIS is where these things are leading GvG now.

#37 vastilos

vastilos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Canada

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:30

Best thing I would suggest would be to have them complete a tutorial on how to GvG, then when they complete it, they can compete in it/get hit in it. BUT it has to be an optional tutorial.

#38 watagashi

watagashi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:30

I think there is a need to revamp the whole GvG system. Make it more interesting! Nothing more boring than attacking the same person/people every 2 minutes, potentially taking nearly 2 hours to complete one conflict.

This wasnt a problem till it got screwed up and protection given to inactive players (see give them gear mules but dont have to protect them) and the 2 person per conflict at a time when the game has a hard time providing more than one target per guild for one player much less 2

This comes from the guy who learned about gvg at lvl5 and stayed at 25 to do them,,,again a tuturial, quest or at the very least information about this when you join a guild is whats needed not more restrictions

I did it when the 2 person fiasco was done and its a great time for it again,,,HCS guild I challenge you to find 10 guilds you can attack with all the gvg restrictions! Back then I went through all top 20 and you had 2 guilds you could hit then and its not gotten any better out here since.

EDIT,, as HCS guild currently has only 2 active embers they cannot participate in gvg (theres the answer if you want a guild thats never hit keep it at 3 members!) so how about just take the challenge and see how many guilds you (Grim) and Hoof can actually hit?? You are going to be unpleasantly supprised to see that its not many when you have to check the activity (takes almost half the players out there) and then find guilds with at least one target for each of you,,,,this is what GvG players face every day and why many throw levels away to go back to 135, 60 or even 25!!!

#39 murabane

murabane

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:35

I feel this could be a huge benefit to keep new players active longer, without logging in and having pages of gvg attacks and countless repairs they might enjoy the beginning of the game more and stick around to see other areas out. Really I don't see why anyone could go against this, unless this is your guilds only means or RP then I can see where your greed overrules the thought of helping new players...

My thoughts~

You don't base this off of level entirely, meaning you can give them to level 50 but give them the option of opting out of it similar to PVP/PVP ladder. You figure if you make level 1-50 GVG proof you pretty change a huge portion of the GVG within FS, make a ton of folks mad and potentially lose some players.

A few options~

1. 3 weeks of GVG exemptions after join date then it expires(As not every new player joins a guild in their first week of play).

2. You attain level 50 and lose the remaining GVG Protection time

3. You opt into a GVG conflict forfeiting what's left of your GVG Protection

#40 murabane

murabane

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:42

I would also stress the importance of informing new players the benefits of guilds and even attaching a message when they join about guild. If you take into account the number of helpful guilds and helpful people in the game, I don't think you want to pass up the opportunity to show that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: