• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 fs_cl2006

fs_cl2006
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2006 - 00:59

A few quick tips for roleplaying:
Keep it believable.
Don't have your character charge and army single handedly and kill every single one of them by him/her/itself.

Don't create a "perfect" character, have a few flaws. A cowardly character is always more fun to create a story for than a god among men

Be descriptive. But not over the top
"Bob attacks the monster and kills it" is not good roleplaying
"Drawing his 120 year old greatsword, inlaid with gold in the pattern of a dragons head with two billiant rubys set in the hit, which bob had acquired from his father who got it from his father..." is also not very good roleplaying. It is too much information
"Running forward with his hand tightly gripping his sword hilt, Bob knocked the monsters axe away this his shield, and drove his sword into the monsters gut" Is a good balance. Lets the other RPers know what you have done, and elaborates abit

Use proper English
"He ran forwards... And then attacked... and swung his sword again" is quite hard to read, and when you have a whole paragraph like this, it becomes something readers eyes gloss over.
"He ran forwards, and repeatedly swung his blade" flows better, and gets rid of the nasty "..." place holders

#2 fs_god

fs_god
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:01

Also, I personally take along time to write my RP posts because I try to make it as descriptive as possible. It's like CL2006 said in a previous post. Imagine you are writing a book.

#3 fs_kufu

fs_kufu
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2007 - 15:47

I’m a bit lost… is there any sort of rule book here for RPing? Are the current RPs open to all? And I heard a lot about guild RPs… is that confined to your particular guild or can we cross over into other guilds RPs as it would be in game since I can walk on any space and ally with any player that happens to accept my request. Might be too many questions… I also did not see any thread for an RP Bio so other RPers will have a basic knowledge of your characters. Thanks for any info you might be able to help me with here.

#4 fs_leannesara

fs_leannesara
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:37

I recommend spacing your paragraphs out, it makes the reading a little easier as this thing removes any spaces you put before your sentence to indicate a new paragraph as you would ordainarily see in a book.

Also don't get wrapped up in what style other people believe your work should be in, everyone is different, what works for one reader/writer doesn't always work for the next. I prefer styling mine to suit my character, for instance I don't use flowery shakespearen sentances for a certain jester I know, and prefer to use third person in comic sketches I'm also guilty for writing. That said I have been known to pour in the elaborate worded sentences in other stories.

*shrugs*

Whatever works :)

#5 fs_kaldirris

fs_kaldirris
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 19:55

Eeh, he just wanted to argue and flame, that's all, nothing more than that. But worse than that, he didn't even have his "knowledge" straight! What he was talking about had no basis in reality or fact. Didn't stop him from making a snap "judgement" and then blurting it out. No, not him! He doesn't seem to be a very educated person.

Sorry, GoreMaker, but I have to disagree with you. I'm not flaming your choice of writing your RP, but you're NOT using Olde English.

In the interest of clarity, you're actually using english that would have been more common during the 16-18th centuries. (Linguistically speaking, that's darned near *modern* english.) For the record, the King James version of the bible was first printed in 1611, long past the era of Olde English. :wink:
Olde English would be closer to Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (written in Middle English, somewhere around the end of the 1300's).
Check it out...Chaucer in the original Middle English:
Whan that Aprille, with hise shoures soote,
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;

And the modern english translation:
When April with his showers sweet with fruit,
The drought of March has pierced unto the root
And bathed each vein with liquor that has power
To generate therein and sire the flower;

So, YOU aren't really writing in OLDE English either. Therefore, I don't think it's right that you accuse someone else of not having their "knowledge" straight, when you yourself are mistaken. Just MY humble opinion.

HOWEVER, that being said, I like your preference for using "old-fashioned" grammar for your roleplay write-ups...for the most part, I prefer that writing style myself.

Okay kids, english history is over for the day. Thanks for listening! lmao

#6 fs_kaldirris

fs_kaldirris
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 20:04

no problem...always knew that being the *geek with her nose in a book* would pay off one day!
:wink:

#7 fs_lairz

fs_lairz
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 17:23

its the sort of thing you can kind of understand when it's read out loud, funnily enough some of the old words survived into present day scots, possibly because it was learned as a language not a dialect by alot of people. Some old words were actually re-introduced by americans, "Gotten" is my favorite example. Was always taught that was american slang but it's actually a really old word that had been just forgotten about in the UK!

Bill Bryson's book "Mother tounge" is a good read for a more fun look at how the language developed.

#8 fs_unknown8

fs_unknown8
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2007 - 15:53

ya those are good tips

#9 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 14:55

English? I'd like to have HSC do a survey to find out where everyone is really from. Small minded people saying that we all have to talk in English is extremely ridiculous. I've seen that a couple of the top guilds are Romanian or Swedish, for example and I've seen lots of other language speaking guilds in this game.
Communication is the key and that does not mean just English. If English is your native language you should "at least" know another one. Just think, all those other nationalities out there know yours to some extent. Probably the one that should be making the effort is you!
As for those comments about using Shakespearian English or Chaucer's... I can read both just fine, but why would you do such a thing in this game? I think FallenSword is probably based in the Future... wait, just because there's a dragon in it... hmmm... what about the zombies? or any of the other creatures invented by FS? My suggestion is that we start talking Esperanto, lol.

#10 fs_kufu

fs_kufu
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2007 - 15:25

I think you have read too far into a Role Playing conversation… it was Old English instead of English to create a more authentic medieval RP. No one here would mind if someone wanted to Role Play in their native tongue. You might have to start your own RP to do it but hey that’s what this board is all about.

#11 fs_spenser

fs_spenser
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 15:48

English? I'd like to have HSC do a survey to find out where everyone is really from. Small minded people saying that we all have to talk in English is extremely ridiculous. I've seen that a couple of the top guilds are Romanian or Swedish, for example and I've seen lots of other language speaking guilds in this game.
Communication is the key and that does not mean just English. If English is your native language you should "at least" know another one. Just think, all those other nationalities out there know yours to some extent. Probably the one that should be making the effort is you!
As for those comments about using Shakespearian English or Chaucer's... I can read both just fine, but why would you do such a thing in this game? I think FallenSword is probably based in the Future... wait, just because there's a dragon in it... hmmm... what about the zombies? or any of the other creatures invented by FS? My suggestion is that we start talking Esperanto, lol.

The reason english is like a 'must' speak language is because almost all the people around the world knows it... Im sure they teach you that in school right? :P

#12 fs_newarthur

fs_newarthur
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2007 - 16:15

if they wanted to be more accurate the forum would be in Spanish as its the most spoken language around the world, followed by english

#13 fs_strong1982

fs_strong1982
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:48

My native language is english and I am a little ashamed to only know one language it makes me wonder if the educational system of my country is lacking somthing. Anyrate probably the reason the game is english is because the makers of it are americans. If they were from spain it would be spanish

#14 fs_strong1982

fs_strong1982
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:49

But they could probably make a multilanguage forum

#15 fs_crace

fs_crace
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:12

if they wanted to be more accurate the forum would be in Spanish as its the most spoken language around the world, followed by english

No, that would be Chinese.

1. Chinese
2. English
3. Spanish
4. Arabic

http://www.photius.c...languages2.html

#16 fs_leannesara

fs_leannesara
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2008 - 17:58

english is a good language for rp's because
A) the game itself is in english, so the majority of people you will find on this forum will be english speaking to some extent.
B) english is a language that a large number of schools in various countries will teach, either as a compulsory or elective language. however, other languages taught in schools seem to vary, even within a single country. by choosing english as a language, it ensures that the majority of players will have come into contact with it at some point in their education, whereas with other languages it starts getting a bit 'hit and miss'.

Plus there is the fact that HC is an American company, so anything that they make will be in english. Also, im not going to say i know for certain, but i am pretty sure that most people playing this game are fluent in english. Im sure u could create a turkish thread or korean thread or wutever else u wanted, but for the most part, its basic math
(Game in english)+(english company)+(primarily english speaking market)=english forums and anything else they decide to add.

Funny, I always thought the Cows were a bunch of Scots...

http://www.huntedcow.com/company.htm

yep, I'm right.... unless they emigrated without telling anyone O.O

Regardless, they still speak english... though depending on their accents, translators may still be required ;)

#17 LadyMaab

LadyMaab

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 23:18

It's your imagination. In my opinion, you should let it run wild. Don't go too crazy but use your best judgment on what will be best for others to read. :)

#18 fs_haseotod1

fs_haseotod1
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:56

* The "boss" of the roleplay is the creator. They have created the rules, forum, and (possibly) the scenario. If you don't like their rules, then you may have to leave.
* Basic roleplaying keywords are:
o RP: Roleplay
o OOC: Out of Character (You may also use parenthesis to show that it is you who are speaking, not your character.)
o IC: In Character
o bic: Back in Character
o pp: Powerplaying (Which refers to trying to control other people's characters.)
o gm: Godmodling (Which refers to trying to have a "perfect character".)
o Literate: A very good roleplayer who shows that they are able to properly use grammar, punctuation, capitalization, spelling, ect. A literate roleplayer knows when long introductions are appropriate, understands the place for short one or two sentence posts and keeps in character emotions separate from their own.
o Semi-Lit: A decent roleplayer who has an "OK" grasp of grammar, punctuation, capitalization, spelling, ect. A Semi-Lit roleplayer typically writes (sometimes excessively) long introductions several paragraphs in length and posts of up to a paragraph and longer.
o Illiterate: A terrible roleplayer who disregards all grammar, punctuation, capitalization, etc. Their spelling is usually equal to chatspeak. An illiterate roleplayer typically writes one paragraph for their intro, and around one or two sentences per post.
* There are many different types of roleplays. If you do not like one, you may find another you like better. Make sure what you write goes along with the type of roleplay you're doing.
* In order to maintain a more enjoyable atmosphere, remember to treat others with respect. You will be treated with respect in return. Ex. Never curse someone out; it gets you nowhere.
* Remember that you can only control your character (not those of others), unless you have the other person's permission. People are apt to be annoyed if you control their characters without warning.
* In roleplaying, many people enjoy the "skirt" rule. "Long enough to cover the essentials, short enough to be interesting." This will mean what it does, but it usually means three or four sentences that give your fellow roleplayers what they need to know to respond while keeping it short and sweet.
* In literate to semi-lit roleplays, length can be an issue. Many advanced roleplayers expect several paragraphs. If they are the GM (Game Manager), the person who made or is in charge of the roleplay, then, again, discuss it politely or leave if you can't write that much.
* Have a way that you can contact with your other roleplayer(s) on a regular basis. This varies for different people, so discuss it before you begin the roleplay if you think it might become an issue.
* It is considered good taste to notify the GM of the roleplay when you won't be able or willing to contribute to their roleplay for a while. *
o Never God-Mod. God-modding can refer to many things, for example: being immortal (never gets hurt or killed, dodges every blow), or taking control of another person's character.
* Never powerplay. No one likes to roleplay with someone who is in one place, then is mystically in another without moving, or has actions completed that they have not included in their post. Powerplaying is also used to describe the action of controlling, injuring, killing, or otherwise manipulating another character without the player's consent, such as shooting or tripping a character. It assumes that the character's fate is yours to control, and is one of the most impolite things you can do in roleplay.
* A lot of roleplayers prefer you to have a certain standard for how much you write, and it always varies. You might aim to write three good sentences while someone else wants three good paragraphs, or vice versa.
* Whatever you do, do not ramble! Nobody wants to read three paragraphs about minute details like the color of a dinner plate, the past of a character from birth to present day or the tone of their voice! Little details about a 'fragile ivory dinner plate' or a 'low, raspy hum' are great, but be careful; write too much and people will skim or even skip over your posts!
* No one likes someone who makes two or three posts and doesn't post forever. If you have to go on a trip, have a job or something, then inform your fellow roleplayers so they don't sit on their butts waiting for you all day. Also, if you don't like how a roleplay is going, work it out with the people you're roleplaying with, instead of just leaving.
* Another thing to avoid is creating a Mary Sue/Marty Stu. You do not want your character to be 'cliche' or unoriginal. A character who is too perfect, too powerful, without weaknesses or overburdened by a tragic past may be seen as a Mary Sue if these elements are not very well thought through or considered. http://www.onlyficti...t/marysue2.html is a good source for consideration- this website provides a test to help one determine how original and creative a character is, compared to common Mary Sue traits.

#19 loveslost

loveslost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 21:24

Use proper English
"He ran forwards... And then attacked... and swung his sword again" is quite hard to read, and when you have a whole paragraph like this, it becomes something readers eyes gloss over.
"He ran forwards, and repeatedly swung his blade" flows better, and gets rid of the nasty "..." place holders

Use CORRECT English

"He ran forward,

#20 fs_kullkoth

fs_kullkoth
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:25

I do not want to seem like I am over stepping my bounds but I have roleplayed quite a bit (it is an awesome way to have fun in large groups of like minded individuals) however I have noticed quite a few things, one namely being that alot of charecter are "Demon/slayer/immortal/dragon/anything ultra powerfull that is ussually an end boss type set up for any game" It is no fun when one charecter decides he is going to be "All powerfull" Remember in a roleplay such as this there are no levels and there are no stat lines. You charecter is simply that, just an idea. This means no instant hits on other players (Which I noticed in the rusty taven when beastboy the man who slew a beast as big as the moon ((see above about that)) automatically hit another player.) For a more realistic feel use sentrences like "Lunges at, Swinges at, stabs at" For actions and try to put them between stars. I will demonstrate,
Kullkoth was cooking some breakfast, it was the early morning and his stomach was still upset from having nothing in it but mead and ale from the night before. While the freshly caught rabbit was cooking a daranged man appeared from a nearby bush, "Blood for the blood god!" *The daranged lunatic hurtled toward Kullkoth, his mouth foaming like a rabid beast* Kullkoth was slow to react and was cut badly on his left arm, *Kullkoth tried to jab the man in the mouth* However the mad man doged back and was making for another attack. Kullkoth lunged for his mace while the lunatic was closeing in and *pivited with all his weight swinging his hammer up toward the Deranged man* The lunatic was so blood crazed he did not even pay attention to the hammer. With a sickening crack the hammer connected and the strange man slumped dead.
This is a little different because if you try to attack ANOTHER PLAYER the player you are attacking gets to decide if you hit them or not, and no epic matrix dives and dodges, God modeing is the one thing that destroys a roleplay the fastest. Also you can make charecter that aren't your fallensword charecter, just have fun! :mrgreen:
Thank you for your time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: