Photo

[Guide] So you want to be a beta tester, eh?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 Stormbow

Stormbow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Badge

Posted 29 March 2013 - 20:24

The following guide is presented to the beta community as most beta testers don't actually know what it means to be a beta tester.  This post is not a point of condescension, it's to help those who are genuinely interested in beta testing and helping the game to become greater than it already may be.

This information has been collected from and applied to the many, many, many dozens of games in which I have been a beta tester.  These games range from obscure free-to-play and browser-based games that don't even see a thousand players in their meager lifetime all the way to the major MMOs (that rule the industry with tens of millions of players) that can't be named without invoking a ridiculous flame war.

If you are serious about beta testing, as I am, you will find the following information extremely helpful and valuable.

Thank you for reading, and I hope this guide will give you more tools to help this game aspire to greatness.

Storm

twist_bar.gif

Tips for Proper Beta Testing

[credit to Odinseye of LoTRO for original post]

[credit to Jergis of Aerrevan for edits, additions, sharing]

Heavily revised by Stormbow 3/29/2013

1) Keep a pad of paper and writing utensil next to you at all times.  (Or keep notes in Notepad right on your computer.)  Write down everything you do that has odd/unexpected consequences for an accurate report either in-game or by post.  Include screenshots at every oppotunity.  (PrtScr and Windows Paint if you absolutely must.)  Photobucket is Stormbow's image host of choice, and there are many, many others available to choose from.  (FluffyApp is another, recommended by Macey & Zorg.)  Include client-side logs (such as crash logs) for further details if these are available.  Be prepared to send a DirectX diagnostic report privately to game developers that request one.

2) You will likely crash often during testing.  Patience is a virtue in beta tests and is part of the process. Remember, this is a test wherein you work for the company in providing feedback and making the game better.  This is not an opportunity to learn secrets of the game, hoard items and money, or be the first [to find/be/kill/do anything] when it goes live.  Your character is extremely likely to be deleted at the end of the beta, be prepared to lose everything you are "working so hard for".

3) Every step of the way, you are actually doing your job if you make the game crash.  (But don't go out of your way to intentionally crash the game repeatedly!)  Report what you were doing once you have confirmed that what you did actually does crash the game.  (This is called verifying a bug and is an integral part of being a beta tester!)  Either post in the proper forums or use the in-game reporting tool if one is available to report the crash and what causes it.  (Not all games have a reporting tool in-game.) And start with the character creation screen.  Try multiple combos of clicks and keystrokes, combos of creation options, watch the graphics, listen for sound artifacts and errors, animation stalls etc.  On a somewhat related note, the game may face long periods of maintenance where you won't be able to get in or get back in after you crash out.  Again, be patient.

4) When in the game, consider the environment. Look for holes, mismatched effects, trees floating in the air, etc. Take notice of your surroundings and the animations.  Do avatars move smoothly, are some colors out of whack, etc.  Keep an eye open for misplaced items; monsters, npcs, and other quest locations may be said to be in one area when they are really in another.  Participate in as many events as possible.  Most players are often so excited to even be in an event that they forget they should be looking for bugs and problems that arise.  Make sure that quest rewards and event participation rewards actually make it into your inventory.

5) Take screenshots and report your findings as clearly and precisely as possible.  "There's a floating tree by this place." is not as helpful as "There is a tree floating by Farmer John's barn southwest of [name of the nearest city here].".  Include quest names wherever possible as well.  Some games also have a coordinates feature that can tell you EXACTLY where you are standing.  (This is typically /loc or /coords.)  Find out if the game has such a feature, and include the coordinates at every opportunity.  Giving a developer the zone name and coordinates is the most helpful thing you can do when reporting a graphics or game mechanics (geometry, terrain) issue.  This is especially true for issues where characters get stuck in the geometry (the terrain; in fences, walls, doors, etc).

6) UI is next.  Try everything, even stuff that no one would normally even consider during normal gameplay.  Move things around.  Shift, CTRL, Alt, click and drag things.  The plan is to find problems and break the game, so just go nuts. Try opening trade windows with mobs/guards/villagers, try buffing mailboxes, and attacking tables.  Anything that seems out there-- try it.  If doing anything "weird" makes a window disappear from the game, absolutely report it.  (Some games have been known to include a "return to default location" action, such as shift-left clicking a window.  This feature, when bugged, can potentially send the window to a screen resolution location that's not even visible on the planet Earth.)

7) Read all dialog and quest descriptions.  I know, I know...  Nobody likes to read pretty much any text in MMOs anymore.  (And why should they?  Minimaps and quest objective locators lead the way...  Remember, you're hear with a job to do, not just to play the game.)  Check for spelling errors and grammatical issues. Some players gloss over familiar words but make sure to pay attention as sometimes even the the simplest things are missed.  (For example, you probably didn't notice "the the" in the previous sentence, and "hear" instead of "here" even further back.)  Also keep an eye out for numbers.  The price you buy things for, and sell them for.  Make sure the numbers add up correctly after the actions.  If you're really good with the game mechanics, track the damage and healing numbers as well.  Text proofreading is an especially important area of beta testing for games with smaller dev teams who are working day and night on their vision.  Help them to help everyone have a good time.  Games that are being translated from one language to another are absolutely notorious for bad spelling, grammar, punctuation, and phrasing.  Keep an eye out for translation errors if applicable to the game you're beta testing.  On a related note, if you are tasked to kill 10 rats, get to the quest area, and find out there are bats all over that count as kills for the quest (i.e., you need to kill 10 bats there), document and report the issue.

8) Experiment with all social, crafting, chat, and other options/windows as well as the controls for all of those.  How is the learning curve?  Is there info available about how to do things?  Are the instructions and controls intuitive in nature and easy for everyone (not just gamers) to understand and use?  Even style choices can be the source of beta testing reports if it makes the player experience better.  If dark colored text is found on a dark background, it will be very hard to read.  This could be the result of a background image not loading in the text window.  Screenshot - document - report.

9 ) As I mentioned earlier, verifying bugs is essential.  Make sure that whatever you test is tested again.  If you find a bug, try repeating it and write down what you find out.  Again, the more info you collect and report, the better.

10) Be creative, have fun with the game, do things you wouldn't normally do, and by golly report what you find.

twist_bar.gif

Good Luck and Happy Bug Hunting, beta testers!

For additional reading, see Varkaz's Eldevin Beta Basics Guide.

sig-ani-yes.gif

If a post helps you out in some way, please remember to LIKE it to add rep for the poster.  Thank you.

#2 cyrus7

cyrus7

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts
  • Badge

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:03

This should be a pinned thread.  :)

And possibly locked, so it doesn't get overrun with random bug reports (which should have their own threads).

#3 SDGR

SDGR

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:43

Reading this should be mandatory for any potential CB tester ;) Big +1 ;)

#4 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:38

This should be a pinned thread.  :)

And possibly locked, so it doesn't get overrun with random bug reports (which should have their own threads).

+1 So often people just rush in and want to be the first to have hands on a release, and then get frustrated when the game doesn't work properly. 

Good bug and regression testing isn't always fun. This guide goes a long way to help set fair expectations when playing a beta.

#5 Stormbow

Stormbow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Badge

Posted 30 March 2013 - 17:56

Thanks for the comments and support.  I figured that it's so common to find "play testers" and so uncommon to find real "beta testers" that maybe this guide could turn a few of the former into more of the latter.

Cheers!

sig-ani-yes.gif

If a post helps you out in some way, please remember to LIKE it to add rep for the poster.  Thank you.

#6 VeaVictis

VeaVictis

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 18:02

great guide storm, 100% agreed!

Reading this should be mandatory for any potential CB tester ;) Big +1 ;)

can they do that pls? :P

StilbornSavior - Ranger/PureDPS/Leatherworker

#7 Seagull

Seagull

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Badge

Posted 30 March 2013 - 18:25

Excellent guide!  As one who has not been part of a beta test before, I found your suggestions incredibly useful.

#8 Stormbow

Stormbow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Badge

Posted 30 March 2013 - 20:36

great guide storm, 100% agreed!

Thanks, Vae!

Excellent guide!  As one who has not been part of a beta test before, I found your suggestions incredibly useful.

I am glad it's useful; that was the intent.  :)

Of course, if anyone has any suggestions to make this guide better-- absolutely feel free to add them to this thread and I'll add them to the original post as I find them.  A winnng team isn't composed of one person.

sig-ani-yes.gif

#9 Xero

Xero

Lead Artist

• Hunted Cow Staff
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Badge

Posted 30 March 2013 - 20:43

Excellent guide, pinned!  ^_^

Iain Mair
Lead Artist, Eldevin

#10 Mongo

Mongo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts
  • Badge

Posted 30 March 2013 - 21:10

Nice guide Stormbow, for anyone that is serious about testing  :)

Maybe you would like to add somewhere... that all this is optional, and for those who just want to play for casual fun, just a short simple statement to guide them in the right direction:

Play, have fun, if you find something you think is a bug, please take the time to report it via the report button or a forum post  :D

Visit my shop! Mongo's Emporium for emotes, pets, vanity and more!

#11 Stormbow

Stormbow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Badge

Posted 30 March 2013 - 21:54

Excellent guide, pinned!  ^_^

I am honored.  Thank you, Xero!

If there's anything the HC staff is particularly looking for, you're absolutely welcome to make note of it in the opening post too!

Nice guide Stormbow, for anyone that is serious about testing  :)

Maybe you would like to add somewhere... that all this is optional, and for those who just want to play for casual fun, just a short simple statement to guide them in the right direction:

Play, have fun, if you find something you think is a bug, please take the time to report it via the report button or a forum post  :D

Thanks.  The guide mentions posting a number of times, but I'll add the bit about having fun to #10.

sig-ani-yes.gif

#12 Stormbow

Stormbow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Badge

Posted 30 March 2013 - 22:13

Updated to add a couple links, fix a typo, and add a couple sentences.

sig-ani-yes.gif

#13 VeaVictis

VeaVictis

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:50

before reading the forum more, i had assumed that this would have been implied in this guide already, but since there's been multiple discussions in the forums and in game, the only thing i could think to elaborate on, is with #7 - as well as reading the descriptions and such, we should also pay attention to numbers that appear regularly as well. i'm talking about the quest rewards, merchant prices for buying as well as selling goods, damage or healing that seems a bit off from what it should be, items given per harvest action - anything like that.

hope this helps :)

StilbornSavior - Ranger/PureDPS/Leatherworker

#14 Stormbow

Stormbow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Badge

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:11

before reading the forum more, i had assumed that this would have been implied in this guide already, but since there's been multiple discussions in the forums and in game, the only thing i could think to elaborate on, is with #7 - as well as reading the descriptions and such, we should also pay attention to numbers that appear regularly as well. i'm talking about the quest rewards, merchant prices for buying as well as selling goods, damage or healing that seems a bit off from what it should be, items given per harvest action - anything like that.

hope this helps :)

Good add.  I'll get that into the original post too.

sig-ani-yes.gif

#15 Loaf

Loaf

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Badge

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:07

11) Expect wipes during a closed beta.

If you have a spare minute, please rate Eldevin at mmorpg.com

#16 Macey

Macey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Badge

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:29

I use fluffyapp for quick screenshots. Recommended to me by Zorg (so credit to him :P)

It's really good, one hot key and it screenshots an area of screen, uploads it and copies the link to your clipboard. :)

#17 Stormbow

Stormbow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 April 2013 - 00:49

Updated to add a cross-link to Varkaz's Eldevin Beta Basics Guide.

11) Expect wipes during a closed beta.

Thanks.  Covered that in #2 already though.

sig-ani-yes.gif

#18 Stormbow

Stormbow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 April 2013 - 00:51

I use fluffyapp for quick screenshots. Recommended to me by Zorg (so credit to him :P)

It's really good, one hot key and it screenshots an area of screen, uploads it and copies the link to your clipboard. :)

If anyone's interested, FluffyApp is here.  Thanks for the suggestion, Macey (and Zorg).  Adding this to the guide as well.

sig-ani-yes.gif

#19 webhosting

webhosting

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:18

Hey fellas sorry I'm late to the party.

#20 Zurion

Zurion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:43

Gee, I have to get back in the game. Been busy with other MMO's :P

Electronic devices function with smoke. When the smoke comes out of them, they stop working.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: