Zorg

Chief Technical Officer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:05

I'm going to try and explain how the new stamina system will work. If you understand what I mean and can think of a simpler way to explain it in our news post then please post. I'm having a hard time coming up with a way of explaining it clearly in a short amount of text.

The total amount you earn per hour will remain the same, you'll just get given smaller amount more often. Instead of ticking every 60 minutes and giving you your full hourly gain of Stamina, Gold and XP. The system will now tick every 5 minutes and give you part of your hourly gain.

On top of this the 5 minute ticks will now happen at exact 5 minute intervals around the clock, so 5 past the hour, 10 past and so on.

The complicated part is what the system does if you put on or remove equipment that has a bonus to stamina gain. The new system when it ticks on a 5 minute interval will work out how much stamina you should have been given (based on the items you're wearing now) and compare that to how much you have been given (which it tracks) and awards you the difference.

This means if you put on your stamina gain equipment before the final hourly tick, the system will calculate how much you would of earned if you were wearing it for the entire hour and give you the difference on the final tick. So you can still switch in to stamina gain equipment on the hour if you wish to get the bonus.

Similarly, if you wear stamina gain equipment for part of the hour and then remove it. The system will now be calculating how much you should have been given based on the new lower stamina gain value and will be giving you a lot less stamina for the remainder of the hour.

The result of this system is, we give you the same amount of stamina in smaller chunks (which is what we wanted), but you can still put on stamina gain equipment on the hour to get its bonus for the full hours worth of stamina (which is what you guys wanted). I'll be damned if I can explain this in a nice simple and straight forward way though. :(

~ Chief Technical Officer
Wayne 'Zorg' Robinson

#2 smileynirv

smileynirv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:18

i dont think it is complicated at all. 

#3 Alisa

Alisa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Badge

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:30

extra stamina every 5minutes, got it.  :D

sigma_468x60.jpg

#4 SoraXKairi

SoraXKairi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:38

The explanation is good. From what I understand, everyone will be having the stam tick at the same time in this new change (5 past the hour, 10 past the hour etc till the final hourly tick). Demand for epic gears will go up since everyone will be wearing them before the final hourly tick to get the full bonus. I can only imagine one guildmate recalling tagged epic from another guildmate for the last tick unless epic is assigned like WaL. More guild rules on tagged epics are to be reinforced within the guild.

#5 Saxon

Saxon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:45

Makes sense, but there are more important developments in the game than this which wasn't really a priority update.

As HCS has confirmed this is going to benefit new players with low stam banks, although the benefit with a low stam gain will be so small its not going to make much difference.

At least the stam gain includes the epics bonuses worn at the point of hourly stam ticks still.

#6 Undjuvion

Undjuvion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Australia

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:46

The saying is 'itll be alright on the night' just maybe before you go into the explanation or maybe at the end if you prefer have a little section bolded stating the timeframe or spot eg. so just before the hour or on the hour to make sure you have your stamina gear on to get the full amount IF you had your stamina gear partially removed beforehand ... till u understand it fully :)

#7 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:54

*sits back and watches how stuff on the roadmap is being abandoned at worst, and delayed at best, for stuff that really isn't important to the vast majority of the playerbase ...*

I get that player retention is of major concern - I just fail to see why new players getting 5 stam ever 5 mins instead of 60 / hr is going to accomplish anything ...

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#8 cyrus7

cyrus7

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:57

I'm going to try and explain how the new stamina system will work. If you understand what I mean and can think of a simpler way to explain it in our news post then please post. I'm having a hard time coming up with a way of explaining it clearly in a short amount of text.

The total amount you earn per hour will remain the same, you'll just get given smaller amount more often. Instead of ticking every 60 minutes and giving you your full hourly gain of Stamina, Gold and XP. The system will now tick every 5 minutes and give you part of your hourly gain.

On top of this the 5 minute ticks will now happen at exact 5 minute intervals around the clock, so 5 past the hour, 10 past and so on.

The complicated part is what the system does if you put on or remove equipment that has a bonus to stamina gain. The new system when it ticks on a 5 minute interval will work out how much stamina you should have been given (based on the items you're wearing now) and compare that to how much you have been given (which it tracks) and awards you the difference.

This means if you put on your stamina gain equipment before the final hourly tick, the system will calculate how much you would of earned if you were wearing it for the entire hour and give you the difference on the final tick. So you can still switch in to stamina gain equipment on the hour if you wish to get the bonus.

Similarly, if you wear stamina gain equipment for part of the hour and then remove it. The system will now be calculating how much you should have been given based on the new lower stamina gain value and will be giving you a lot less stamina for the remainder of the hour.

The result of this system is, we give you the same amount of stamina in smaller chunks (which is what we wanted), but you can still put on stamina gain equipment on the hour to get its bonus for the full hours worth of stamina (which is what you guys wanted). I'll be damned if I can explain this in a nice simple and straight forward way though. :(

With number form examples, for those who understand better with numbers instead of words.

If you get the default 50 stamina per hour:
00:00 + 4 stamina = 4 total
00:05 + 4 stamina = 8 total
00:10 + 4 stamina = 12 total
00:15 + 4 stamina = 16 total
00:20 + 4 stamina = 20 total
00:25 + 5 stamina = 25 total
00:30 + 4 stamina = 29 total
00:35 + 4 stamina = 33 total
00:40 + 4 stamina = 37 total
00:45 + 4 stamina = 41 total
00:50 + 4 stamina = 45 total
00:55 + 5 stamina = 50 total
(5 stamina on two of the ticks because each 5-min increment is actually 4.1667 stamina, so it's rounded down and the remainder comes when it has added up enough to make the whole stamina.)

If you get 90 stamina per hour:
00:00 + 7 stamina = 7 total
00:05 + 8 stamina = 15 total
00:10 + 7 stamina = 22 total
00:15 + 8 stamina = 30 total
00:20 + 7 stamina = 37 total
00:25 + 8 stamina = 45 total
00:30 + 7 stamina = 52 total
00:35 + 8 stamina = 60 total
00:40 + 7 stamina = 67 total
00:45 + 8 stamina = 75 total
00:50 + 7 stamina = 82 total
00:55 + 8 stamina = 90 total
(Alternating 7 and 8 stamina each 5 minutes, since it's actually 7.5 stamina per 5 minutes. So you get 7 stamina, and there's 0.5 stamina hanging out there, and it matches up with the 0.5 stamina on the next tick to make a gain of 8 stamina.)

Here's what happens with the Stamina Gain item(s) added in that weren't worn the whole hour. Same as above, but with the stamina gain item added in at the last one.
If you get 90 stamina per hour, but add a +2 stamina gain item before the last hourly tick:
00:00 + 7 stamina = 7 total
00:05 + 8 stamina = 15 total
00:10 + 7 stamina = 22 total
00:15 + 8 stamina = 30 total
00:20 + 7 stamina = 37 total
00:25 + 8 stamina = 45 total
00:30 + 7 stamina = 52 total
00:35 + 8 stamina = 60 total
00:40 + 7 stamina = 67 total
00:45 + 8 stamina = 75 total
00:50 + 7 stamina = 82 total
00:55 + 10 stamina = 92 total
(Alternating 7 and 8 stamina each 5 minutes, since it's actually 7.5 stamina per 5 minutes. So you get 7 stamina, and there's 0.5 stamina hanging out there, and it matches up with the 0.5 stamina on the next tick to make a gain of 8 stamina. Then you added that +2 stamina gain item before the last tick of the hour, so the extra 2 stamina is allocated.)

If you have the stamina gain items on all the time, that stamina is just factored in with your regular stamina gain. It's only if you add/remove them does the recalculation have to be done on the last tick of the hour.

We are still having this as a player-selected option to be changed in our settings... right, Zorg?

#9 cyrus7

cyrus7

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts
  • Badge

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:07

Demand for epic gears will go up since everyone will be wearing them before the final hourly tick to get the full bonus. I can only imagine one guildmate recalling tagged epic from another guildmate for the last tick unless epic is assigned like WaL. More guild rules on tagged epics are to be reinforced within the guild.

If people are relying on guild-owned Epics for extra stamina, well... they'll have to figure it out. Guild items are generally shared, as they are owned by the guild, not the individual who decides they have "dibs" on certain items. Don't want the hassle? Buy your own. Some of them have gotten pretty cheap.

I get that player retention is of major concern - I just fail to see why new players getting 5 stam ever 5 mins instead of 60 / hr is going to accomplish anything ...

Right there with ya, but it's a bit less stamina than you're thinking. ;) New accounts get 50 stamina per hour, so it's only 4 stamina every 5 minutes, except for every 6th tick, then you get the odd 5 stamina.

#10 Davros81

Davros81

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:10

Disappointed this is still being considered, when as others have said, more important issues need to be dealt with such as those on the development roadmap...

#11 smileynirv

smileynirv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:42

i say implement it and work out the kinks later. its not game changing and asking for feedback seems to stir the pot. 

#12 duktayp

duktayp

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:56

i say implement it and work out the kinks later.... 

yes, instead of reacting to OP with righteous indignation and anguish

lol at HCS forum(s) - nothing but pain and misery here

apologies to anyone offended...myself, i continue to enjoy the game for what it is and has to offer

my day is not ruined by an admin post

#13 cyrus7

cyrus7

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts
  • Badge

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:31

lol at HCS forum(s) - nothing but pain and misery here

I would imagine that this sort of thing is why a lot of us have stopped or slowed our forum participation.

#14 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,826 posts
  • Badge

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:50

Disappointed this is still being considered, when as others have said, more important issues need to be dealt with such as those on the development roadmap...

It's not being considered, it's happening. As for the issues on the Roadmap. Most of those will require a vast amount of work and there is little point starting such an endeavour when the office will only be open another week. The update would not be done.

As such, we'll work on updates that we can do in a timely manner and will have a positive impact. 

#15 insaner6

insaner6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 13:19

same way as the stamina gain,  will happen on the xp gain as well?  it will be gained every 5 minutes and in the end of the hour
it will keep on calculating the full amount that u should gain?
it will calculate also bonuses from relics and other stuff as well, right?

second question is , if there will be the option that Hoof had said that we can choose between the 2 types of gain?

#16 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,826 posts
  • Badge

Posted 10 December 2014 - 13:21

At this point no, because of everything Zorg has got it doing, it is not needed.

#17 gomezkilla

gomezkilla

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 13:30

Ok, I would prefer to live by the KISS principle but I guess this all accomplishes roughly the same thing.

#18 Leos3000

Leos3000

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 13:32

Your 4th and 6th paragraphs either contradict or have confused me...

If we put on stamina gain items do you get the full bonus from them applied to the entire hour regardless of when you equip them?

Or do you only get the bonus for the part of the hour you have them on?

#19 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,826 posts
  • Badge

Posted 10 December 2014 - 13:33

You'll get the bonus for the full hour.

#20 tharzill

tharzill

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 13:38

"...Similarly, if you wear stamina gain equipment for part of the hour and then remove it. The system will now be calculating how much you should have been given based on the new lower stamina gain value and will be giving you a lot less stamina for the remainder of the hour..."

So what happens if at the start of the hour I have on stam gear and sometime during the hour I switch gear to a hunting set up for example to join a group and help a guild member? I lose the stam if I have to wait more than five minutes for the to do whatever it is? And do I get the stam gear bonus back when I change back? Or is that lost until the next hour? 

Confused I am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: