Photo

Effective range of skills

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Brioche

Brioche

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:07

All melee skills listed as Melee Range have a range of 2.5 yards.

Most single target skills with a longer range than melee range have an effective range 5 yards more than what is listed.

For example, Taunt is listed with a range of 15 yards, but you can still cast it 15-20 yards away from the target. If you are more than 20 yards away when trying to cast Taunt, your character will move to the listed range (15 yards) before casting.

In other words:

Taunt is listed as 15 yard range
If you are within 20 yards of target and you try to taunt, you cast it immediately
If you are more than 20 yards away from target, you run until within 15 yards and taunt

I'm not sure about Midnight's Grasp, Adrenaline Rush, and Eclipse. I haven't tested those. Adrenaline Rush and Eclipse probably have an effective range of 20 yards.

Listed as 15 yards, effective range 20 yards

Taunt
Glaciate
Flame Rush
(Basic) Ranged Attack
Black Fang
Haemorrhage
Crystal Blast
Detonate
Jolt
Envenom
Blood Fang
Spectral Barrage
Incinerate
Revitalize
Overload
Rejuvenate
Redemption
Serenity
Dogma
Boiling Blood
Cauterize
Engulf
Ignite

Listed as 30 yards, effective range 35 yards

Inspiration
Invigorate
Haste
Fleetfoot
Focus
Enlighten
Force of Nature

Skills with more than one type of range, but only casting range stated

Lethal Concoction - 2.5 yard radius
Ancestral Spirit - heals the caster up to 25 yards away from where spirit is placed; heals other party members up to 7 yards away
Meteorite - Casting range within 2.5 yards of target, hits enemies up to 3 yards away*
Engulf - 3 yard radius**
Erupt - 2.5 yard radius
Benediction - 4 yard radius
Tornado - 1 yard line width

Blazing Arrow, Dragon's Breath, Genocide, and Bane (with talented Destruction) all have a cone of effect, but I'm not sure what the angle of the cone is. Dragon's Breath also has a slightly longer range than the maximum casting range.

*Might be 3.5 yards, hard to get an exact number
**Note that the radius of Engulf on tank in ICC is about 5 yards.

Incorrect descriptions

Tornado listed as 12 yard range, actual range 15 yards
Celestial Recall listed as 15 yard range, actual range 20 yards

Crimson Chain is listed as "Target: Single (Self Only)", "Range: 10 Yards", "5 yards per jump". "Range: 10 Yards" is unnecessary since obviously you can target yourself within 10 yards of yourself... The actual jump distance is 5 yards.

Thanks Shoval and Ribosome for helping me test :)

Edit: For single target skills listed as Melee Range, treat them as listed range of 2 yards and effective range of 2.5 yards. If you're farther than 2.5 yards, you run until within 2 yards before attacking.

The range of Krag's Ring of Fire attack is just under 2.5 yards, so it is possible for melee dps to attack Krag without getting hit by it. However, if you are more than 2.5 yards away when you start to attack, you will run up to 2 yards away from Krag - which is within the range of Ring of Fire. Adjust your distance by moving away slightly.

Edited by Brioche, 09 October 2015 - 01:57.

#2 Akalas

Akalas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 14:28

Good post, without reflecting on this I had assumed it works the other way around, in that auto-moving when out of range brings you closer to the target than the listed max range (say 12 yards instead of 15). But your explanation makes far more sense now that I'm thinking about it. 

Also I think range should be more specific for circular spells. Just from reading spell descriptions one would think Snow (10 yds) covers a smaller area than Bene (12yds), but for Snow that range represents its radius while for Bene it's the diameter.

#3 Brioche

Brioche

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:02

Made a change to the range of Ancestral Spirit - it only heals the caster (prophet) up to 25 yards away from where the spirit is placed. Other party members have to be within 7 yards to be healed by it. Thanks to Shoval for bringing this to my attention.

Edited by Brioche, 03 October 2015 - 10:49.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: