Photo

Tankh build : )

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tankh

Tankh

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 00:24

Hi everyone! Most of you know me. It's Ankh, the manic tank that loves doing pulls that makes people cover their eyes and freak out. How do I manage to do such massive pulls, as a regular tank, and survive, even with a non-infernal geared healer? I am explaining it all in this post, and giving you all my actual build.

Armor;

The silver set should have 3 melee dodge rolls, Zirconia and Tourmaline. I will explain why.

Dodge:

Dodge is an extremely useful thing. With dodge, you don't reduce damage, but you negate it, meaning you take 0 damage. I have seen many tanks go for max defenses and use HP obelisk, or another obe of their choice. Let me ask you this... Is it better to gain +5% hp, or use armor obe and have the chance to receive 0% damage? I know that re-rolls are expensive, and it sucks, but, it's worth it. Melee dodge is very very useful.

Zirconia:

Zirconia is very important for a tank. The faster you run, the lesser hits you receive. That's why my first perfect gem was a Zirconia. I knew it since I started using it that it is a great gem for a tank. Now, some people tend to worry about the healer "not being able to catch up". You do not need to worry about this. The trick is to be close to the tank from the start of the pull. There will be a distance, eventually, but it's nothing to worry about. But please, healers, don't get caught in the ASV spires and get wrecked tongue.png. Also, healers should have a zirc as well, but that's a personal choice. However, a tank should have a Zirconia.

Tourmaline:

I know a lot of people hate those, and find them worthless. They are very useful, and quite powerful. The most important thing about tourmalines, is that you gain hp per second in combat. Look at it this way; with my build, and a Pure tourmaline, you gain 23 hp per second in combat. You gain this hp while you are running and during combat, too. I would like to mention, that the actual regen you receive, is NOT the regen displayed when you put your mouse over HP or Mana in the character window. You gain a lot more. Feel free to test it on your own. Also, tourmaline stacks with Health on Hit, and works with Snowfall. This gem is Extremely useful, and I am so happy I chose to use it. Do not underestimate Tourmalines. They are great.

NOTEMaxing ranged defense is NOT a requirement for huge pulls!! I have 73% ranged defense with a perfect diamond. You all know my pulls : ) Night has 71% ranged defense (Pure), and she can do the same pulls I do. So, go up to a Pure and leave it be, or, go higher if you want. I went higher, because I wanted to.

Weapons;

Your sword should have an Almandine and a HoH roll. Your throwing weapon should have a Helio and a haste roll.

Almandine in the sword+HoH roll and why it's a good idea:

Health of Hit means you gain hp per hit. The amount of hp you gain is based on the HoH in the sword, and, Marauder (which is based on your total HP). The reason why HoH is better than haste is simple: would you rather reduce damage faster, or gain back some of the damage you took? Obviously 2nd choice. It's only logical. Do the math, and you will see that HoH is a better choice. I currently gain 240 hp per hit, with a Flawless Almandine (97 HoH), plus the HoH roll on my infernal sword (60 HoH) and plus the hp from Maraunder. This is without HP food, HP elixir or vday candy. Now, if I were to put a Radiant helio instead of the Almandine (Radiant helio gives ~5% haste). Now I would be gaining 143 HP (240-97 and 97 is the Flawless Almandine I removed to put the Radiant Helio) from the HoH, but I have +5% haste. 5% haste is -1.5 seconds on righteous defense. Is it worth it? Nope. You lose a whole 97 HoH for a mere 1.5 seconds faster righteous defense. It is not worth it. 

Another benefit of HoH is that you gain hp not only from auto-attack, but also from skills. Impale, tremor, spires and bloodbath all give you some hp. The amount of hp you gain is: HoH from sword (this does not include Maraunder) x 3. It does not go higher than x3, regardless if you hit 20 mobs with tremor. This is also another reason to get an Almandine+HoH roll on your sword. You also regain hp from single-target attacks, but it doesn't get multiplied by 3. I should mention that spires give you hp on with the instant damage. The bleed effect does not heal you. LC does not heal you at all. 

Haste:

Haste on your throwing weapon is useful. You can use skills faster, and generate threat faster. Ambers are not a good idea for my build, as you need haste to keep threat. You don't need a lot, though. I personally use a haste draft, but you can use an attack power draft if you want. 

BUILD;

Here is my build: http://talenttheory....1Wb2c3i2l2p3v3/

This is my build, 100% as it is right now. I do not use phalanx, as the cooldown makes it worthless. It does help, yes, but when it runs out, you are receiving an extra 2% damage that you could reduce with maxed Brawler.

Attributes;

I am full melee. This means that I have added 0 points into Vitality. You do not need to add points into Vitality with my build. If you want hp, you can use an HP elixir and hp food. I have done all of my insane pulls with Full Melee. Also, full melee means more Haste, and, more Melee Dodge. Don't worry, you won't die super fast with full melee. 

Threat Combo;

My threat combo is: Despair the ranged mobs (archers in ASV, basilisks in ARG), Impale, Tremor, Spires, Rush, Incite Cry and LC. The first skill that will be off cooldown is Impale. Use it. And then, after that, use any of the above skills as soon as they are out of cooldown. Spam them all. Eventually they will all be out of cooldown at the same time, and you can repeat the combo. You are NEVER going to lose threat (unless you lag, of course). Crit healers without pacifist don't have to live in fear, wondering if they will get everything and die or not. Rangers can spam without concealed. This combo 100% works. Also, a warning, DO NOT FORGET SPIRES AND LC! Those two make the difference in my combo.

Extra information: Don't forget to use a stamina potion before you enter into combat!!!!!!!!!

Well, now you know my build, how I hold threat, and why I chose my current set-up. Enjoy! Have fun tanking! 

: )

I am a million steps ahead, people don't understand and want me dead. I know true knowledge making me bright, eventually people see that I was right. - Tankh. ;D

#2 Thomas02

Thomas02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:13

+1 Like, just because I actually finished reading the whole thing considering I probably will never tank.  :P

R.I.P Ichiko my beautiful, sweet rabbit  :(

#3 Tankh

Tankh

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:38

+1 Like, just because I actually finished reading the whole thing considering I probably will never tank.  :P

Lol.
I am a million steps ahead, people don't understand and want me dead. I know true knowledge making me bright, eventually people see that I was right. - Tankh. ;D

#4 KeS

KeS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:41

hmm why blazing strike?

Edited by KeS, 13 October 2017 - 03:41.

The world is cruel...as will I....

#5 Elrog

Elrog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:59

Blazing Strike because sear is strong when you upgrade it.

#6 JoDu

JoDu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 October 2017 - 13:54

Interesting build and info Ankh :)

I have a perfect Tourmaline in my BP getting dust (just made it to get achievement due to was cheap to get), and now you are saying this is a real powerfull gem??? o my lololol :P

I have tested some tank builds, vit tank, melee tank, sintank, healtank and all builds works fine for me, but i like the vit and melee tank for the challenge on pulls, the teamwork with healer, risk...

I'd like to test your build, but my def gems are only radiant, so can't get max defenses without Stouthearted talent, so i need those 3 points.

About weapons i'm using same Hoh on sword and Helio on throwing (have attack power roll, not rerolled as my haste is pretty decent).

I like Spiked Armor talent, but they are 4 talent points, I'm not sure if it worth or not.

Thanks for sharing your experience Ankh :)

#7 Tankh

Tankh

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 16:09

Interesting build and info Ankh :)

I have a perfect Tourmaline in my BP getting dust (just made it to get achievement due to was cheap to get), and now you are saying this is a real powerfull gem??? o my lololol :P

I have tested some tank builds, vit tank, melee tank, sintank, healtank and all builds works fine for me, but i like the vit and melee tank for the challenge on pulls, the teamwork with healer, risk...

I'd like to test your build, but my def gems are only radiant, so can't get max defenses without Stouthearted talent, so i need those 3 points.
About weapons i'm using same Hoh on sword and Helio on throwing (have attack power roll, not rerolled as my haste is pretty decent).

I like Spiked Armor talent, but they are 4 talent points, I'm not sure if it worth or not.

Thanks for sharing your experience Ankh :)

Full melee is actually risk-free. With vitality, you have less chance to receive 0 damage from melee dodge. Plus, threat is an issue. Also, you don't need max defenses. The reason you say that, is because of not understanding brawler. I will let you figure it out : ) I can say, that I have done ASV without armor obe, and I can go past the bridge, to the right, in ASV, on the right path, without dying. Healer won't have problems keeping me alive.

I would put the 4 points elsewhere. I don't like spiked armor. I would rather survive easier with my current build, than take out talents that reduce damage taken.

#8 Elrog

Elrog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 16:48

Tourmaline:

I know a lot of people hate those, and find them worthless. They are very useful, and quite powerful. The most important thing about tourmalines, is that you gain hp per second in combat. Look at it this way; with my build, and a Pure tourmaline, you gain 23 hp per second in combat. You gain this hp while you are running and during combat, too. I would like to mention, that the actual regen you receive, is NOT the regen displayed when you put your mouse over HP or Mana in the character window. You gain a lot more. Feel free to test it on your own. Also, tourmaline stacks with Health on Hit, and works with Snowfall. This gem is Extremely useful, and I am so happy I chose to use it. Do not underestimate Tourmalines. They are great.

NOTEMaxing ranged defense is NOT a requirement for huge pulls!! I have 73% ranged defense with a perfect diamond. You all know my pulls : ) Night has 71% ranged defense (Pure), and she can do the same pulls I do. So, go up to a Pure and leave it be, or, go higher if you want. I went higher, because I wanted to.

Of course maxing ranged defense is not a requirement for huge pulls. Neither is tourmaline. The important thing is which one helps more.

I have tested both mana and hp regen. Both work as described on the in-game stats page. The value shown is an average and it is correct. Whenever your hp increases from health regeneration, the amount it increases is higher than what is shown in the stats page, but your health does not increase from health regeneration every second. It takes longer than that. The stats shown is an average.

A glorious tourmaline will add less than 11 hp regen per second. It is pretty clear which helps more on huge pulls (where there will be archers). If you are in a circumstance where there is no ranged damage being done to you, sure, use tourmaline if you care to invest into that.

I realize that if you upgraded your perfect diamond to glorious you would cap ranged defense anyways. I don't plan to ever stop upgrading so it makes sense to think ahead and work towards what I want. I see two routes I could go (both having all three defenses capped):

3 dodge rolls, zirconia, glorious diamond, glorious opal, pure onyx, tourmaline, jasper or turquoise, and the defense obelisk

3 dodge rolls, zirconia, flawless diamond, pure diamond, flawless opal, pure opal, glorious onyx, and any obelisk you want

Personally, I would prefer to have the damage obelisk or healing obelisk (helpful for sintanks) rather than a tourmaline and a jasper or turquoise.

Also, take another look at your signature:

"I am a million steps ahead, people don't understand and want me dead. I know true knowledge making me bright, eventually people see that I was right. - Tankh. ;D"

Why is it that you tell people I am arrogant behind my back?

Spiked armor (with 4 points) reflects 40% of the damage you take back to the attacker prior to calculating defenses but after calculating block and it doesn't reflect bleed damage (raising your defense does not reduce the reflected damage, but blocking does reduce the reflected damage). I would assume the reflected damage is unaffected by damage resistance effects such as redemption (similar to the reflect damage on repent which I have tested), but I have not tested spiked armor specifically. I also have not tested the effect on threat.

If you are experienced tanking and have good gear and think you can spare the points, I think it is a decent talent if you want faster runs.

#9 Elrog

Elrog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 17:14

Another benefit of HoH is that you gain hp not only from auto-attack, but also from skills. Impale, tremor, spires and bloodbath all give you some hp. The amount of hp you gain is: HoH from sword (this does not include Maraunder) x 3. It does not go higher than x3, regardless if you hit 20 mobs with tremor. This is also another reason to get an Almandine+HoH roll on your sword. You also regain hp from single-target attacks, but it doesn't get multiplied by 3. I should mention that spires give you hp on with the instant damage. The bleed effect does not heal you. LC does not heal you at all. 

The amount of enemies it counts for varies, it can be up to 4.​

Full melee is actually risk-free.

No build is risk-free.

Edited by Elrog, 13 October 2017 - 17:53.

#10 Night0

Night0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 17:23

this is good build for those who wants to try full regular melee tank 

you will have no problem with holding threat

and it's really easy to heal it :)

#11 Tankh

Tankh

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 17:35

There goes esora, trying as always, to convince everyone he knows everything, and that he is smarter. I was waiting for this, because you are too predicatble.

Why would a regular tank use the healing obe?

Your point to max defenses is very time consuming, and useless.

Damage obe for a tank is not very useful, as your dps is already very low. You won't gain much (don't waste your time writting the math, I don't care)

My build does not have enough points for spiked armor. There is no reason to get it, anyways, and everyone that can try to prove how useful it is, don't bother. I would rather get defensive talents, and survive.

You have pretty much admitted Tourmalines are useful. I hope you realize that. And if you don't, too bad.

As for my signature, I have had it for years,, because you are not the first to personally attack me and try to act superior, one way or another.

The fact remains. I am the only regular tank that can go into snake on the right ASV path withouy stopping, and do other pulls without armor obe. Also, I can hold threat from all of thr supper gemmed dps. There are many things I can do, that none else but those who listen to me, can do.

Edited by Tankh, 13 October 2017 - 17:38.

#12 Elrog

Elrog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 18:52

I was waiting for this, because you are too predicatble.

So?

You have pretty much admitted Tourmalines are useful. I hope you realize that. And if you don't, too bad.

There goes esora, trying as always, to convince everyone he knows everything, and that he is smarter.

Yes, hp gained is hp gained. Of course tourmaline is useful. I am concerned with what is correct, not with who said it. If you think I said all this because it was you who posted it, you are wrong. I would correct anyone if they said the stats page was wrong about health regen when it isn't. I don't like misinformation being spread. The only part of my post aimed at you in particular was the question of your signature.

Why would a regular tank use the healing obe?

That would obviously be useless. I did not say a regular tank should get the healing obelisk.

Damage obe for a tank is not very useful, as your dps is already very low. You won't gain much (don't waste your time writting the math, I don't care)

I said "Personally, I would prefer to have the damage obelisk or healing obelisk (helpful for sintanks) rather than a tourmaline and a jasper or turquoise." Perhaps you missed the "Personally" part.

My build does not have enough points for spiked armor. There is no reason to get it, anyways, and everyone that can try to prove how useful it is, don't bother. I would rather get defensive talents, and survive.

I was just responding to JoDu. I was not saying you should get spiked armor. Taking extra defensive talents over extra offensive talents is just personal choice. Your build is fine.

The fact remains. I am the only regular tank that can go into snake on the right ASV path without stopping, and do other pulls without armor obe. Also, I can hold threat from all of the supper gemmed dps. There are many things I can do, that none else but those who listen to me, can do.

I believe in giving credit where it is due. Going into the snake on the right path as a melee tank deserves credit. You and Night make a good team. However, I have not tried it myself so I wouldn't agree to saying nobody else could do it.

As for my signature, I have had it for years,, because you are not the first to personally attack me and try to act superior, one way or another.

We have had personal disagreements in the past and I did say things out of spite. I did not do it to elevate myself. I did it to tear you down. It was personal and I keep it that way. I was not the one who tore down a mutual friend (not giving out names) and caused them to quit the game. You are acting like you have something to prove.

Edited by Elrog, 13 October 2017 - 18:55.

#13 Tankh

Tankh

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 19:45

Your tactic is to misdirect what is said, and turn it into a positive for yourself. That tactic is so boring, and obvious. Like you talked about spiked armor. I was just saying how I find it useless, and how my build doesn't have enough points for it, anyways. You twisted it into something else. I was not talking to you abouy spiked armor, anyways.

Another one is you saying personally for healing obe. This post is about my tank build, not yours. So, even talking about what you would do is off topic.

I didn't make anyone quit. You just ran out of things to say. I know that deep down you are consumed with jealousy ; )

Anyways, back to the real topic which is my build... My build works well and is a great choice if you'd like to be a regular tank. No threat issues, easy to heal, good haste and t's super easy to survive with my build.

#14 Elrog

Elrog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 23:20

​This is getting ridiculous but I guess I should have been expecting it considering who I'm dealing with.

It is a post about your tank build but that comment about the healing obelisk was made in response to you advocating tourmaline. Tourmaline is not as great as you portray it to be.

Your tactic is to misdirect what is said, and turn it into a positive for yourself. That tactic is so boring, and obvious. Like you talked about spiked armor. I was just saying how I find it useless, and how my build doesn't have enough points for it, anyways. You twisted it into something else. I was not talking to you about spiked armor, anyways.

I was giving JoDu an actual response. You said you prefer to focus on survivability and failed to actually provide any helpful content.

Misdirecting is exactly what you are doing, not me. For instance, asking why a melee tank would use the healing obelisk when I did not say a melee tank should use it.

I didn't make anyone quit. You just ran out of things to say.

You and Night both contributed to it. If you want a name you'll have to take me off ignore in-game. I wil not post it on the forums. If you are so sure of yourself that I am flat out lying then I'm sure you would enjoy the satisfaction if I didn't give you a name.

I know that deep down you are consumed with jealousy ; )

And why would I be jealous of you?

This is very typical of you. You like to convince yourself of things. I know a lot more about you than you know about me. The stories you tell, the things you do.. Maybe ponder that for a bit.

Edited by Elrog, 13 October 2017 - 23:40.

#15 Kjellig

Kjellig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:30

same old elrog

#16 Tankh

Tankh

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 04:05

​This is getting ridiculous but I guess I should have been expecting it considering who I'm dealing with.

It is a post about your tank build but that comment about the healing obelisk was made in response to you advocating tourmaline. Tourmaline is not as great as you portray it to be.

I was giving JoDu an actual response. You said you prefer to focus on survivability and failed to actually provide any helpful content.

Misdirecting is exactly what you are doing, not me. For instance, asking why a melee tank would use the healing obelisk when I did not say a melee tank should use it.

You and Night both contributed to it. If you want a name you'll have to take me off ignore in-game. I wil not post it on the forums. If you are so sure of yourself that I am flat out lying then I'm sure you would enjoy the satisfaction if I didn't give you a name.

And why would I be jealous of you?

This is very typical of you. You like to convince yourself of things. I know a lot more about you than you know about me. The stories you tell, the things you do.. Maybe ponder that for a bit.

*Yawn* That psychological method of attack is so boring. Go harass someone else. Bye : )

Edited by Tankh, 15 October 2017 - 04:10.

#17 xXxDaisyxXx

xXxDaisyxXx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:14

Great guide! I really agree with the tourma and zirc and i dont understand why a lot of tanks prefer a defensive gem over it. Running faster = less time to take damage.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: