• This topic is locked This topic is locked
330 replies to this topic

#161 Amzen

Amzen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 22:21

Cost ideas are horrible, why have a limit on communication? 

It's not like allowing a chat will diminish the Cow's income, who buys FSP for the purpose of sending a message on the FSBox?

If you are going to introduce a cost just to send an instant message with everyone else then who is going to actually send messages? The people who are wanting to advertise somethings. What is that thing people use to advertise things again? Oh yeah! The FSBox.

A chat should be a chat, no more. You shouldn't be allowed to advertise in the chat as again, that ruins the purpose of a "chat", therefore restricting advertising to the FSBox.

#162 cyrus7

cyrus7

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 20 August 2013 - 22:32

Bringing over part of a post I made in another thread regarding the World Chat.

I can see the community-wide chat getting taken over by nonsense, and then new players would not be able to get help efficiently, if at all. So I have a suggestion, and that is to have a free-for-all chat, and then have a separate one for new players and mentors. The only players who would be able to access that chat would be players under a certain level and players who have marked themselves as mentors.

Along the same lines as community chat, when can we get some improvement to our Guild Chat? For starters, the line where you type your message is so short! So many times I have to pull up a notepad to type a long message, just so that I can compose my thoughts properly, since the small box on the guild chat page doesn't let you see but a few words you've written (unless you want to arrow over backwards through the whole thing, but I prefer to be able to glance back up at something I've written, and then continue writing). Also, the notification at the top telling you that your message has been sent is really annoying. I know I sent a message; I can see it right there on the top. And then if I want to get rid of it (as I do, because I keep guild chat open, and refresh for new message), I have to remove the "&m=1&chat_type=0" from the URL, and reload the page. If we're going to keep a "message sent" notification, can it be changed to be like the Auction House message when you place a bid? It stays there for a moment, then goes away.

Thanks for the game improvements.  :)

#163 onray24

onray24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Badge

Posted 20 August 2013 - 23:17

you guys could make it like the bio only get so many words and so many posts per day/hour/min want more buy them that way not a lot of players will spam the chat 

#164 wil72

wil72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 23:40

Bringing over part of a post I made in another thread regarding the World Chat.

cyrus7, on 16 Aug 2013 - 19:51, said:snapback.png

I can see the community-wide chat getting taken over by nonsense, and then new players would not be able to get help efficiently, if at all. So I have a suggestion, and that is to have a free-for-all chat, and then have a separate one for new players and mentors. The only players who would be able to access that chat would be players under a certain level and players who have marked themselves as mentors.

Sorry cyrus7 but I don't think I should be forced to be a mentor just so I can chat and help new players.

Cheers.

wil72

#165 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 23:48

To Pard: Wouldn't the stam cost be negligible for the multi's you fear? Difficult to find a good solution. I was thinking perhaps limit new players from posting but that defeats the whole purpose of welcoming and helping new players. Perhaps 2 channels to begin with. One for noobs and mentors only and one general chat for all but noobs. Really tough one though as the multi's could just wait it out.

I vote for you, wil and reborn as moderators. You guys are my faves, seem to have the greater good of the game in mind and online practically 24/7

#166 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 21 August 2013 - 00:03

To Pard: Wouldn't the stam cost be negligible for the multi's you fear? Difficult to find a good solution. I was thinking perhaps limit new players from posting but that defeats the whole purpose of welcoming and helping new players. Perhaps 2 channels to begin with. One for noobs and mentors only and one general chat for all but noobs. Really tough one though as the multi's could just wait it out.

It would be negligible, yeah but at least there'd be a tangible cost. But, from speaking to Hoof earlier, there'll be no costs associated with the chat as he wants it to be accessible as possible to everyone ..

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#167 sleepysock

sleepysock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Badge
  • Canada

Posted 21 August 2013 - 00:05

I am a little disappointed that composing got bumped back, but i'm still excited for the final "awesome" release! :)

I don't have much experience with global chats, but here are some suggestions that come to mind:

I think splitting it into general and trade makes sense...

Not sure this will make it into the initial release, but definitely something we can add later :)

General, Trade, and Help chats would be nice. Have them all appear in the same place but with different colors, and the ability to be filtered. Maybe also add an "ignore" preference on players that you don't want to see in the chat too? (could be linked to ignore list). Would be nice to also have color coding or some sort of symbol to indicate guild/ally/enemy in the chat as well! :)

Definitely going to be making it possible to add moderators to it :)

Would be nice to have some moderation going on. Hopefully there will be some automated flood control to prevent spamming (limit 1 message per 10 seconds, can't post the same message twice in a row, etc.).

Would the moderators be players? Not sure about this but maybe there could be a link between your karma and your stature within the chat? After a certain amount of karma your name could be submitted and reviewed to become a moderator. OR Players could nominate others who they think would be responsible enough to handle moderating the chat, this would of course be reviewed as well.

Keep up the good work HCS! :) I am always excited to see new content!

#168 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 21 August 2013 - 00:06

I vote for you, wil and reborn as moderators. You guys are my faves, seem to have the greater good of the game in mind and online practically 24/7

Umm, thanks ? - Although I'm pretty sure there's quite a few that would disagree with your choice of me there LOL.

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#169 wil72

wil72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 00:11

I hear what your saying about the " mentor, new player only chat " mate but I'm not a mentor. Members at Korova have been spammed because they chose to be so, so we no longer mark ourselfs as such. Though none of us are mentors this does not mean that we are unwilling to help new players to the game. Infact that couldn't be further from the truth. Like I said to cyrus7 I wouln't like to be forced into being a mentor, others might feel the same, just so I could chat and help new players in a Gobal Chat scenario.

As for being a moderator, mate I'd spend half my time reporting myself. biggrin.png

Cheers.

wil72

#170 Tastria

Tastria

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:40

The more I hear of the global chat, the less I like the idea.  As it stands now, sure, I'll be able to opt out of it. Key phrase is: "as it stands now."  I give the bovines points for doing something new, but there was/is so much new stuff in the pipeline already that isn't implemented, and chat can't be exceptionally easy to integrate, or it would be here already.  What I fear is that this idea will be partially implemented, and then left to hang fire for a year or more.

#171 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 15:42

The more I hear of the global chat, the less I like the idea. As it stands now, sure, I'll be able to opt out of it. Key phrase is: "as it stands now." I give the bovines points for doing something new, but there was/is so much new stuff in the pipeline already that isn't implemented, and chat can't be exceptionally easy to integrate, or it would be here already. What I fear is that this idea will be partially implemented, and then left to hang fire for a year or more.

I hope your wrong but I do see your point. There are so many ways that this could fail and most of it is because we are our own worst enemy. I'm hoping this was a wise investment of precious development time and hopefully they will implement some of the lessons learned from SS2. I still hope this was a worthwhile plan as I think the biggest strength is the community. I'm hoping this will make the new player experience much better with so many willing to share. Again, the bad apples amongst may derail things but hopefully it won't be as bad as we all fear.

#172 Tharsonius

Tharsonius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 16:10

Here's something else for the TODO list:

Please properly randomize PvP arena matches already in the first round which currently seems to be played according to subscription time.

Whenever I subscribe to multiple arena matches on similar levels I end up facing the same opponent in the first round of all of the matches ... (because that opponent also subscribed to the same matches either shortly before or after me). Getting random opponents, independently from when they subscribed to the match, would be much more interesting ...

#173 yghorbeviahn

yghorbeviahn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 16:31

Some ideas...

About the World Chat:
4 Tabs/Rooms of chat:
-General (Show Red, Blue and Green messages, can be a color dot on the front of the name of the seeder)
-"Normal Chat" (For off-topic conversation)
-Trade (For trades, SEs, etc)
-"Help/Doubts" (For questions, advices, etc)

About the moderation:
Find a way to report messages, which moderators can review it and take a decision like 'warning', 'ban for 7 days', 'ban for 1 month', or something like that.
Any kind of final decision (7 days, 1 month, etc) should be approved by 3/5 others moderators. (Don't know how to do it)

How to find moderators:
Create a tab on Prefereces where you can apply to become a moderator, need to have Loyalty Medal (Gold), opt-in as a Mentor and send a application to HCS (which HCS can approve or not).

Some kinds of "rules":
- Posting on wrong tab - Warning on the first 2 mistakes, after that can be a 7 days ban.
- Offend another player/guild (without sense of humor/joke) - 7 days or more.
- Use of cripted 'bad words' like s.h.i.t, fuk, f-u, etc - Warning on the first 2 mistakes, after that can be a 7 days ban.

Just some thinks about it, maybe for future improvement.

PS: Sorry for the use of 'cripted bad words', need to use as an example =P 

#174 wil72

wil72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 22:42

And the talk of bans begins. :lol:

Cheers.

wil72

#175 yghorbeviahn

yghorbeviahn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 22:47

And the talk of bans begins. :lol:

I wish we don't need this, but I don't know how to take care of it without that kind of thing.

I vote for leave it how it be, I don't care about spamming, offenses or things like that, but I know some people will lost their minds.

#176 Gutie

Gutie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Badge

Posted 21 August 2013 - 22:51

Maybe have chat rooms? I think this can be an optional thing to have.

Maybe implement a Structure that enables a guild to have a tab in which they can invite other guilds to be part of their Alliance Chat? Maybe Name the structure The Citadel. Allows for the guild to have Alliance chat, allows for members to more properly get to know people in other guilds/allies?

Citadel Chat rght beilow Guild Hall, basically allows for members to join chat with other people from guilds they know. Allows for more direct contact with new firends in other guilds and the like? Just a thought of something to implement to cut down on the clutter.

GutieGGtsig_zps678d4c8f.png

Are you active? Enjoy playing FS for fun and striving for lofty goals? Looking to join a guild that invests in itself and seeks to improve and grow in all aspects of the game?

Secret Alliance can be your home in FS! We are looking for active, motivated and driven players who have a passion and genuine enjoyment of FS to join us as we continue to rise towards the TOP! If interested feel free to send me a PM.

SA is also looking for one or two guild mergers INTO SA. Feel free to ask for details.

#177 1unknown

1unknown

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 23:06

can you guys add filters to the guild report? it is tedious and annoying having to look at every item the guild owns just to find one piece of gear at a time, filters would really help, thanks

~1~

#178 wil72

wil72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 23:09

can you guys add filters to the guild report? it is tedious and annoying having to look at every item the guild owns just to find one piece of gear at a time, filters would really help, thanks

~1~

Find ctrl + F helps :)

Cheers.

wil72

#179 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 22 August 2013 - 00:22

I really hope there is a chat area where people can choose to have their content filter on or OFF. It's really 'freakin' annoying to have to 'net nanny' myself when I type things. There are a lot of adults that play this game, sometimes adults like to say funked up shizzle, it's fun and a good tension breaker.

I always thought that was the whole point of the content filter anyways, so people could block swear words if they offended them...

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

#180 kylers

kylers

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:58

personaly i think the global chat will take away the potin of FS box and shout box ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: