Photo

Damage, Support & Threat meters on world bosses (and maybe more)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Neon

Neon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 16 February 2014 - 17:16

It would be nice to see these added ( I know threat meters and maybe damage meters have been suggested before) but I'll go into a little more detail here.

Damage meters:

In a world boss encounter the top 5 damage dealers will be displayed through the fight with their class and their damage in real time.

Your "personal" damage caused is displayed under the top 5 damage dealers.

Support meters:

The way I'm going to suggest this will make support meters the most complicated thing to implement out of the 3 meters.

Your "support" score will be made up of different things.. so...

- If you cast a damage reducing ability on another player, the damage which is reduced will be added to your score.

- If you heal another player the heal will be added to your score

- If you add modifiers to the boss such as damage increase, armor reduction.. etc.. the extra damage dealt through the multipliers will be added to your score. 

In a world boss encounter the top 5 support point holders will be displayed through the fight with their class and in real time.

Your "personal" support points will be displayed under the top 5 support players.

Threat meters:

Threat caused through direct threat abilities, damage, healing.. etc will all be displayed (top 5 threat causers will be displayed during the fight). Follow the same pattern as the other two.

End of a fight:

All players who participated in the fight will be given a score screen, much like in pvp. Which will display everyones damage, support and threat caused.

This could be applied to instances but it would need some tweaking.

Edited by Neon, 16 February 2014 - 18:34.

a5kwtf.png

My YouTube Channel - Click Here

#2 Bryn

Bryn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 16 February 2014 - 18:31

Yes!  However, I wonder if there is enough space to display all this without overloading a screen filled with 20 people? 

Bryn -  Prophet - lvl 45

Ullr -   Ranger -   lvl 32

Thud - Warrior - lvl 16

Payn -  Templar - lvl 16

Jinx -  Mage -      lvl 10

__________________________________________________________________________________

Foraging - 45 | Farming - 45 | Prospecting - 45 | Forestry - 45 | Skinning - 34 | Fishing - 45 | Crystal - 45

Alchemy - 45 | Cooking - 45 | Tailoring - 9 | Leather - 9

#3 Neon

Neon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 16 February 2014 - 18:33

Yes!  However, I wonder if there is enough space to display all this without overloading a screen filled with 20 people? 

Well only 15 names would be displayed during the fight, it could be in a drop down box that you can close/open. I imagine healers would like to keep support open, dps damage, tanks threat.. etc. And then you could open them at will to see how you're doing in threat and support if DPS (and vice versa).

a5kwtf.png

#4 Lucid

Lucid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Badge
  • Australia

Posted 16 February 2014 - 19:42

to be honest most of that complicates matters just a simple threat meter would suffice.

#5 Neon

Neon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 16 February 2014 - 19:56

to be honest most of that complicates matters just a simple threat meter would suffice.

I think you mean it would consume more time. :P The only thing that would be complicated would be the formulas, but in-game it wouldn't be.

Yeah a threat meter would suffice over anything, but I'd like to see all 3 (at some point). :)

Edited by Neon, 16 February 2014 - 19:56.

a5kwtf.png

#6 ernzor

ernzor

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Badge
  • Australia

Posted 16 February 2014 - 21:06

Would be a nice addition, but not urgent IMO

Naked pirate will be back!

When lvl 50 is here

#7 Neon

Neon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 16 February 2014 - 21:07

Would be a nice addition, but not urgent IMO

Nah, just something fancy to look at. :D

a5kwtf.png

#8 Lucid

Lucid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Badge
  • Australia

Posted 16 February 2014 - 21:11

how do i explain

what is the purpose of the support meter and damage apart from having some nice figures to look at?
threat however serves a great purpose as u can control your dps/heals if u see your meter getting to high etc

#9 Neon

Neon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 16 February 2014 - 21:15

how do i explain

what is the purpose of the support meter and damage apart from having some nice figures to look at?
threat however serves a great purpose as u can control your dps/heals if u see your meter getting to high etc

The whole point of this suggestion is something nice to look at, it's always interesting to see the stats in a fight.

a5kwtf.png

#10 Lucid

Lucid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Badge
  • Australia

Posted 16 February 2014 - 21:15

i was actually wondering if could just use something like cheat engine to read from the memory and make a basic threat meter like that :)

#11 Praetor

Praetor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 18:55

Well...a simpler approach would be for the Developers to simply generate the information and then at the end of the battle display it. However yes the Threat meter would be useful, and not just for WB combat. Probably easiest implementation would be to turn text over character red when that character is identified by boss as highest threat. Or use the red glow over whole character like in PvP.

#12 sareth

sareth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Badge

Posted 21 February 2014 - 20:04

i was about to suggest same thing

+1

#13 Munnak

Munnak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 00:44

+ 1/3

An threat bar under the enemies (general) would be great! As a tanker i thanks!

The other are useless information on the screen! Im sorry but is the truth! If anyone here had studied a little of design/game user interface knows what im talking about!

But the idea of having this at the end of the battle is totally good!

And im not talking about "ohh its hard to them program" or "it'll take a long time" Im saying that would make the game screen dirty!

Another thing is that the window show the top DPS/Support/Tanking of the server then below it shows the party ranking! The full ranking being displayed at the official site!

#14 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:39

I've been thinking about this since you posted.  I love the idea of a threat meter, but I'm very hesitant regarding the damage and support meter.

One minor issue if this is done.  Spells that increase damage indirectly such as Eagle Eye should be part of the damage meter, not the support meter in the same category as healing.  If the main goal of a class is damage, doing otherwise while being metered makes the spell very unappealing.  Pet damage should also be recorded as damage.

But should we have a damage meter at all?  A bigger issue is they can encourage poor team play.  An example from GC yesterday during the scorpion fight.  When the minions come out there are two things a ranger can do.

1.  Use AOE attacks as much as possible and concentrate on maximum DPS ignoring all else.

2.  Don't worry about the adds, maximum DPS against the boss.  Keep an eye on the healer (including proper positioning) so if/when the adds break off you can help with Vines until the tank regains aggro.

The problem is obvious here.  Proper play registers lower on a damage meter.  And there are other examples where damage meters are not the whole story.  I guess the real problem is too many people rely too heavily on the 'number' when judging, and not the team play.  The problem gets worse if we get more complex dungeons, requiring coordinated attacks including off tanks, snaring, etc.

I would love to see damage meters vs. training dummies (I suggested that elsewhere).  Or perhaps meters that are not shared.  Both would help streamline builds and rotations.

Edited by Irradiated, 23 February 2014 - 03:43.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: